Dundee Wanderers were originally formed in 1885, and spent one season in the Scottish League in 1894-95 before the loss of their tenancy of their home ground, Clepington Park, for a six month spell, saw them lose their League status, eventually joining the Northern League. 14 years later the Wanderers were to again be evicted from their ground, when a newly formed club called Dundee Hibernian made a higher offer to the landlords of the ground, and the Wanderers were told their lease would not be renewed. The Wanderers took the news badly, and stripped the ground of all fixtures and fittings before they left, leaving the new tenants with nothing more than an open field. The new club renamed the ground Tannadice Park and began to rebuild.
Dundee Hibs' first ever Northern League match was ironically against the Wanderers, who had yet to find a new ground to play at, and had been ordered to play all of their matches away from home. The clubs also met in the Carrie Cup before the Hibs were elected to the Scottish League the following season, however they met once more in 1912 in the Consolation Cup.