Dundee Utd 2
Queen's Park 1
League Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)

Dundee Utd
2 - 1
Queen's Park 

League Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, October 10th, 1979
Tannadice Park. Att. 3,395
7:00 PM Kick-off

Paul Sturrock (pen.) (46)
Davie Dodds (88)
Willie Pettigrew (missed pen.) (27)
Matt Thomson (38)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Eddie Hunter

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Derek Stark
3. Frank Kopel
4. Iain Phillip
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Billy Kirkwood
8. Davie Dodds
9. Willie Pettigrew
10. George Fleming
11. Graeme Payne
Derek Atkins .1
Robert McSkimming .2
Bobby Dickson .3
Brian Reynolds .4
Alistair Bowie .5
John McGregor .6
Derek Wood .7
Jim Gillespie .8
Jim Nicholson .9
Matt Thomson .10
Alan Irvine .11

12. Paul Sturrock
14. Derek Addison
Ross McFarlane .12
Gerry McCoy .14

Derek Addison for Derek Stark (15)
Paul Sturrock for Dave Narey (25)
Gerry McCoy for Matt Thomson
Ross McFarlane for Derek Wood

None. Alistair Bowie (17)
Robert McSkimming (27)
Derek Atkins (27)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Hugh Alexander (Irvine) (Referee)

Match Report

United qualified for the last eight of the Bell's League Cup by virtue of the 2-1 (5-1 on aggregate) win over Queen's Park in mid-week. However, the performance was far from being what was expected from a Premier League outfit with chances once again being scorned against a brave Amateurs defence.

3-0 up after the first leg at Hampden, Willie Pettigrew came close with a 20 yard drive before defenders Dave Narey and Derek Stark both had to go off early with a head injuries. On 27 minutes Pettigrew was brought down in the box and United were awarded a penalty, but Pettigrew saw his spot kick saved by Atkins. Six minutes before the break Matt Thomson raced in on a Hegarty clearance and lashed in a 15 yarder to give Queen's a shock lead.

Two minutes into the second half, substitute Paul Sturrock levelled things from our second spot-kick of the night after Dodds had been fouled in a tangle of legs, and Davie Dodds spared the blushes with a winner just four minutes from the end, blasting home after Atkins had pushed Pettigrew's cross on to the underside of the bar.

Squad Statistics (as at October 10th, 1979)

1979-80 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)31 7 - 3743
Iain Phillip28 12 - 23 -
Paul Hegarty25 7 - 20537
Derek Stark20 141472
Frank Kopel30 15330812
Dave Narey23 16 - 24919
George Fleming31 13 - 31335
Billy Kirkwood21 1519824
Davie Dodds21 1025616
Graeme Payne23 16221213
Willie Pettigrew26 146146
Derek Addison (sub)24 13110212
Paul Sturrock (sub)23 16618549

League Table (as at October 10th, 1979)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 8 5 3 0 +11 13
2. Morton 8 5 1 2 +8 11
3. Kilmarnock 8 4 2 2 -2 10
4. Aberdeen 8 4 1 3 +8 9
5. Partick Th 8 3 3 2 +1 9
6. Rangers 8 3 2 3 +2 8
7. DUNDEE UTD 8 2 2 4 -3 6
8. St Mirren 8 2 2 4 -7 6
9. Dundee 8 2 1 5 -10 5
10. Hibernian 8 1 1 6 -8 3

League results since United's last match

Manager's Programme Notes

Tonight we have great pleasure in welcoming amateurs Queens Park to Tannadice for the second leg of our League Cup third round tie. And despite the fact that we hold what appears to be a commanding 3-0 advantage at this halfway stage, it has been proved on many occasions in the past that no game is finished until the final whistle. The past eight days have seen our fortunes change around from a struggling side to one of bright hopes once again. That superb UEFA Cup win in Brussels last week was clearly the boost required by the side and they once again performed satisfactory against Rangers here on Saturday in a game I for one will not forget in a hurry. Those opening 40 minutes just flashed by for me and I can never in all my days in football remember a more enthralling spectacle than that period. I almost collapsed when I glanced at my watch and realised that the first half was all but completed. However, one particular thing about the Rangers game that impressed me immensely, was the high standard of refereeing carried out by Mr Downie from Edinburgh.

For long there appears to have been a bitter US v. THEM battle being carried out between club's 'and officials — but this was different, even the players themselves knew it out there on the field. Every great game, and I believe that Saturday's was just that, requires someone to allow it to be so and the referee did exactly that with a sharp, determined and positive display which certainly contributed to the occasion. As far as our side is concerned I feel that we are now starting to get things together to the extent that I am now confident that we have turned the comer. Mind you, there is still a lot of hard work ahead, but at least we are now heading in the right direction. However, when the starting prices for unproven First Division talent come in nowadays at around £100,000, then there is no way that I will be party to that.
And on the subject of £100,000 talent, our own Willie Pettigrew has been delighting me. I have been really impressed with the attitude of the ex-Motherwell man and now eagerly await the completion of his move of home to Tayside to join us.