St Johnstone 2
Dundee Utd 3
League (SPL)

St Johnstone 

2 - 3

Dundee Utd

League (SPL)
Saturday, September 26th, 2009
McDiarmid Park. Att. 7,225
3:00 PM Kick-off

Darren Dods (o.g.) (37)
Martin Hardie (72)
Danny Cadamarteri (pen.) (34)
Andy Webster (48)
Damián Casalinuovo (77)

Team Managers
Derek McInnes Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Danny Grainger
Stuart McCaffrey
David MacKay
Graham Gartland
Jody Morris
Chris Millar
Murray Davidson
Filipe Morais
Kenny Deuchar
Collin Samuel
Nicky Weaver .1
Lee Wilkie .4
Andy Webster .3
Mihael Kovačević .19
Paul Dixon .23
Darren Dods .5
Danny Swanson .14
Prince Buaben .15
Scott Robertson .8
Damián Casalinuovo .21
Danny Cadamarteri .10

Euan McLean
Steven Anderson
Johnny Lindsay
Martin Hardie
Liam Craig
Gavin Swankie
Stephen Reynolds
Steve Banks .13
Seán Dillon .2
Mark Fotheringham .17
Craig Conway .6
Jennison Myrie-Williams .7
Andis Shala .20
David Goodwillie .25

Gavin Swankie for Chris Millar (61)
Liam Craig for Collin Samuel (61)
Martin Hardie for Kenny Deuchar (71)
Mark Fotheringham for Danny Cadamarteri (57)
Seán Dillon for Paul Dixon (67)
David Goodwillie for Lee Wilkie (74)

None. David Goodwillie (80)

Red Cards
None. Danny Swanson (87)

Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)

Match Report

There was relief for the large travelling army of United fans when influential midfielder Scott Robertson started in the Tayside derby against St Johnstone however Morgaro Gomis again missed out. Webster and Dods kept their places in the heart of defence which meant that skipper Lee Wilkie lined up in attack alongside debutant Damian Casalinuovo.

United started brightly and after only two minutes Casalinuovo supplied Kovacevic but the big defender was well off target with his effort. Six minutes later United won a brace of corners and from the second Wilkie nodded just wide. With twelve minutes gone, Paul Dixon sent a dangerous ball into the Saints penalty area but unfortunately it was just out of reach for United’s Prince Buaben. Early on it was United who had all the play but with 17 minutes gone Saints eventually carved out a chance. A long throw from the impressive Morais found former United striker Collin Samuel and he blasted a shot that Dixon did well to charge down. Shortly after, Samuel was again involved when he sent in a cross that Deuchar knocked down and Morais hit a shot that was deflected and Nicky Weaver did well to save with his feet. Just before the half hour mark both sides had headed efforts that failed to break the deadlock. Firstly Wilkie had his header saved by Main and then Davidson at the other end failed to find the target after being picked out by MacKay. With 35 minutes on the clock United were ahead. A Dixon cross was helped on by Wiklie and the ball appeared to strike the arm of Dave MacKay and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. United’s player of the month Danny Cadamarteri stepped up and made no mistake with his resulting spot kick. Disappointingly United’s lead was very short lived when just a couple of minutes later Davidson took advantage of hesitation in the United defence and he passed to Morais whose shot deflected off the luckless Darren Dods to leave Weaver with no chance. With three minutes of the half remaining the home side managed to beat the offside trap and when Davidson only had Weaver to beat it looked as if the Perth men would head into the break with the lead. However Dixon did very well to chase back and make a fine saving challenge.

It only took United two minutes after the restart to restore their advantage. A long throw from Dixon once again found Wilkie and the United captain in turn found Andy Webster who almost burst the net with his shot from 12 yards. United were now looking the more confident side and Wilkie almost doubled their advantage after good work involving Cadamarteri and Swanson however the big defender turned striker shot over the top. United’s new signing Mark Fotheringham had started on the bench and with 57 minutes on the clock he was introduced with the tiring Cadamarteri making way. Two minutes later Derek McInnes freshened things up for the home side with Samuel and Millar being replaced by Swankie and Craig. With an hour on the clock there was a stunning piece of action. Morais gathered the ball in the centre of the United half and eventually he powered in a 25 yard shot that Weaver magnificently tipped over. Paul Dixon then received a knock to the head and this ultimately lead to him being replaced by Sean Dillon. With 20 minutes left the home side were back on level terms. United conceded a free kick at the edge of their own penalty box which meant that Derek McInnes called on substitute Martin Hardie and remarkably the man that replaced Kenny Deuchar scored with his first touch leaving Weaver with no chance. Lee Wilkie had done well in attack for United but eventually made way for David Goodwillie - no one knew at the time that this would be the last game of his career as Wilkie was later forced to retire through injury. Two minutes after the introduction of Goodwillie, United were back in front. Scott Robertson superbly found Damián Casalinuovo in the penalty box and his shot eventually crossed the line after a good effort from Main. The aforementioned Goodwillie - who had been present on the goal-line - tried to claim the goal but replays showed that the ball hand already crossed the line before he touched it. To round off an interesting introduction to the game, Goodwillie was then booked for kicking the ball away after the referee had blown his whistle. With six minutes left United almost wrapped things up. Robertson once again combined with Casalinuovo and the man who had just returned from a loan spell at Raith Rovers was unlucky to see Main pull off a fine save to thwart him. Two minutes later United were reduced to ten men when Danny Swanson was given a straight red card for what appeared to be a trip on Gavin Swankie. With the Saints pressing for a point United almost caught them out on the break but Goodwillie was undone by the veteran Alan Main. To United’s credit they held out and the full time whistle was greeted with celebration by the excellent travelling support.

Squad Statistics (as at September 26th, 2009)

2009-10 All Time
Nicky Weaver (GK)30 6 - 6 -
Andy Webster27 7171
Darren Dods34 7 - 705
Paul Dixon22 8 - 411
Lee Wilkie29 219410
Mihael Kovačević21 5 - 29 -
Danny Swanson22 7 - 552
Scott Robertson24 7 - 335
Prince Buaben21 8 - 635
Damián Casalinuovo22 3131
Danny Cadamarteri29 7474
Seán Dillon (sub)26 7 - 872
Mark Fotheringham (sub)25 1 - 1 -
David Goodwillie (sub)20 735410

League Table (as at September 26th, 2009)

No league table has been added for this season.