Dundee Utd 2
Partick Th 0
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
2 - 0
Partick Th 

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, February 25th, 1995
Firhill. Att. 7,227
3:00 PM Kick-off

Craig Brewster (46)
Sérgio Gomes (90)

Team Managers
Ivan Golac
Murdo McLeod

Starting Eleven
Kelham O'Hanlon
Brian Welsh
Christian Dailly
Gordan Petrić
Maurice Malpas
Billy McKinlay
Dave Bowman
David Hannah
Jim McInally
Craig Brewster
Sérgio Gomes
Mike Cairns
Alan Dinnie
Steve Pittman
Gregg Watson
Steve Welsh
Tommy Turner
Rod McDonald
Albert Craig
Wayne Foster
Ian Cameron
Alex Taylor

Henrik Jørgensen
Jerren Nixon
Scott Crabbe
David Hutton
Grant Tierney
Derek McWilliams

Jerren Nixon for Billy McKinlay (58)
Scott Crabbe for Craig Brewster (68)
Derek McWilliams for Tommy Turner (73)
Grant Tierney for Ian Cameron (85)

None. Tommy Turner (48)
Rod McDonald (59)
Albert Craig (73)

Red Cards
None. Alan Dinnie (84)
Match Officials

Alan Freeland (Aberdeen) (Referee)

Match Report

Following Tuesday's narrow victory over Falkirk, Manager Ivan Golac stuck by the same starting eleven against Thistle.
Both sides had chances in the opening quarter of an hour. Kelham O'Hanton made good saves from Turner and then Cameron before Craig Brewster whipped in a freekick which Cairns, making his debut, was happy to touch round the post.

McDonald was unlucky to see his volley from the right touchline dip narrowly over and Foster hit an overhead kick straight at the United keeper. There could be no disputing that
Partick Thistle had the better of the opening period, but the fact it was goalless at the interval was one the visitors were to quickly come to regret!

The second half was less than a minute old when United forced a corner. Billy McKinlay floated the ball over from the right and Gordan Petric's header was blocked by David Hannah before the ball broke to team-mate Craig Brewster who turned the ball home from less than a yard. The moment that was to probably consolidate victory came on the hour mark when Kelham O'H'anlon foiled Foster with a quite outstanding one handed save to keep out a powerfully struck effort from 20 yards.

United countered with Cairns saving well from Jerren Nixon who should really have scored after being put clean through. The West Indian winger had replaced Billy McKinlay who had earlier limped off with a calf injury. Twenty-two minutes from the end, Scott Crabbe replaced Craig Brewster as the
popular striker made his return to first team action almost exactly a year after breaking his leg against Motherwell in the Scottish Cup.

There after there never appeared any real danger of United relinquishing their advantage, especially when Alan Dinnie was dismissed for a dreadful tackle on Jim McInally eight minutes from the end. Right on the final whistle, Brian Welsh sent in a shot from a corner which Sergio swept past Cairns from six yards to consolidate United's victory and bring the Brazilian his first goal in a tangerine Jersey.

Squad Statistics (as at February 25th, 1995)

1994-95 All Time
Kelham O'Hanlon (GK)32 21 - 21 -
Brian Welsh26 27213910
Christian Dailly21 28412618
Gordan Petrić25 322673
Maurice Malpas32 27265321
Billy McKinlay25 27526825
Dave Bowman30 29133812
David Hannah21 316508
Jim McInally31 21 - 36321
Craig Brewster28 2886828
Sérgio Gomes25 5151
Jerren Nixon (sub)21 2995110
Scott Crabbe (sub)26 1 - 578

League Table (as at February 25th, 1995)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

On Tuesday evening we gained a narrow win over Falkirk, which to be honest came as no surprise to me because I anticipated a repeat of the previous meeting here at Tannadice which we also won thanks to the only goal of the game. In fact, we found it easier to win through there and if you look at Falkirk's record, they have proved to be more difficult to beat on their travels than at home. Whilst I fully accept that Tuesday was not one of our better performances, there were some positive things to take out of the game. I said to the boys at half-time that if we kept our discipline and were patient, we would score though, of course, it took us until three minutes before the end to do so. It was fitting that Maurice Malpas ; scored the winner because he was a colossus in the side. Christian Dailly was another to do well, whilst Sergio didn't do badly. Overall it was one of those games in which 11 players never
functioned as a unit. Keeping a clean sheet was very nice for a start and since the turn of the year, we have now only lost seven goals in our last nine games. It was also good to get consistency in our results, the three points against Falkirk being our third win in a row and having achieved that for the first time since I became manager, I am very anxious that we extend that run to four games against Partick Thistle this afternoon.

Falkirk's two visits have shown that it is easier to play sides like them away from home, rather than at Tannadice where they as Thistle did earlier in the season, sit back to try and hit us on the break. Tuesday's victory carried us two places up the table and depending on results elsewhere this afternoon, we can haul possibly haul ourselves within five points of second placed Hibs and still have a game in hand. I want to see the momentum continue today against Partick Thistle and whilst we didn't perform particularly well on Tuesday, Falkirk were no better and I am sure it will be different this afternoon. There is a tremendous spirit in the dressing room. We know only too well that from our point of view, we can only play better than on Tuesday evening, but sometimes you play well and find yourself losing. IN FACT, PARTICK'S LAST VISIT WAS A CASE IN POINT WHEN WE HAD 90% OF THE GAME, BUT LOST OUT TO A LATE GOAL, WHICH SHOWS THAT THE BREAKS OVER A SEASON DO TEND TO EVEN THEMSELVES OUT, SO HOPEFULLY WE CAN REDRESS THE BALANCE FOR THEIR WIN HERE EARLIER IN THE SEASON.