Motherwell 2
Dundee Utd 1
League (SPL)


2 - 1

Dundee Utd

League (SPL)
Saturday, October 23rd, 2010
Fir Park. Att. 4,635
3:00 PM Kick-off

Scott Severin (O.G.) (1)
Seán Dillon (O.G.) (75)
David Goodwillie (pen.) (50)

Team Managers
Craig Brown Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Darren Randolph
Steven Hammell
Stephen Craigan
Mark Reynolds
Keith Lasley
Steve Jennings
Chris Humphrey
Tom Hateley
Alan Gow
Nick Blackman
Jamie Murphy
Dušan Perniš .1
Garry Kenneth .18
Paul Dixon .3
Scott Severin .4
Seán Dillon .2
Craig Conway .6
Morgaro Gomis .16
Prince Buaben .15
David Robertson .12
David Goodwillie .25
Jon Daly .9

Tom Bradley
Jonathan Page
Steven Saunders
Marc Fitzpatrick
John Sutton
Ross Forbes
Robert McHugh
Steve Banks .13
Barry Douglas .17
Keith Watson .23
Scott Robertson .8
Andis Shala .20
Danny Cadamarteri .10
Johnny Russell .27

Steven Saunders for Keith Lasley (29)
John Sutton for Alan Gow (78)
Robert McHugh for Chris Humphrey (90)
Barry Douglas for Craig Conway (34)
Johnny Russell for David Robertson (80)

Steven Saunders (44)
Chris Humphrey (62)
Prince Buaben (37)
David Robertson (77)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Steven McLean (Referee)

Match Report

A disastrous start for United saw them fall behind after 50 seconds. Severin misjudged an interception at the halfway line which allowed Alan Gow to break free. He linked with Nick Blackman before the ball was played into the path of Jamie Murphy on the left. His shot was parried by Dusan Pernis but the luckless Scott Severin then bundled the ball into his own net from a couple of yards out. The home side were to control the opening 30 minutes of this game and could have scored three or four in that period. On nine minutes, Paul Dixon made a crucial intervention as the ball was flashed across goal while a minute later the lively Humphrey on the right wing easily beat Garry Kenneth before squaring for Alan Gow whose shot went inches wide of the front post. Gow was again involved a couple of minutes later as his hard, curling shot stung the palms of Pernis. Motherwell’s momentum was lost for a short while as they lost Keith Lasley to injury after 20 minutes and seven minutes later, United finally fashioned a chance on goal. A one-two between Jon Daly and David Robertson allowed Daly an acrobatic effort from the middle of the box but the shot was well held by Randolph in the Motherwell goal. With the home side already forced into a substitution, United too had to make a change due to injury as Craig Conway hobbled off to be replaced by Barry Douglas. The game was far from dirty but referee Steven McLean showed two yellow cards in a ten-minute spell as United’s Prince Buaben and ‘Well’s Gow both had their names taken for late challenges. As the game ticked towards half time, David Goodwillie was fouled just outside the penalty area but in a shot that summed up United’s first 45 minutes, Prince Buaben fired well over the bar from a short lay-off. United did win their first corner after 43 minutes but Daly was penalised for a foul on the ‘keeper as Douglas delivered from the right.

Motherwell went in ahead but it would have been Craig Brown who would have been the more disappointed manager that his side hadn’t managed to score any more. United never really got started and took 27 minutes to even threaten the Motherwell goal.
United emerged for the second half looking like a selection of extras from Casualty as Scott Severin joined captain Jon Daly in sporting a white head bandage after a first-half head knock. But within five minutes of the restart, Peter Houston’s patched-up troops were level. A ball in from the right was blocked by Motherwell captain Stephen Craigan but referee McLean adjudged that he had used a hand and had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Unlike last week, the official stuck to his decision and David Goodwillie stepped up to send Randolph the wrong way with a right-foot shot into the net, scoring for United for the fifth consecutive game. The second half was shaping up to be a far less one-sided affair as United finally gave the travelling fans something to sing about although neither team could create a clear-cut chance. However, on 67 minutes Scott Severin made a crucial block on a Chris Humphrey shot as the winger broke on the counter-attack. Five minutes later Dusan Pernis made a flying save to deflect a Jamie Murphy shot round his right-hand post as the home side enjoyed a decent spell of pressure. This pressure was to tell on 75 minutes. Humphrey, the best player on the pitch this afternoon, was given far too much space on the right wing once again and he was able to fire a ball right across the goal which Sean Dillon could only turn into his own net with Nick Blackman lurking at the back post. Now chasing the game, Peter Houston replaced David Robertson with Johnny Russell as United looked to come back for a second time. However, it was Motherwell who continued to threaten as a bulleted header by Steven Saunders from a Humphrey corner went just over the bar as the home side closed out the game to take all three points. Before the end, referee McLean, who had been unpopular with the home fans for the whole game, showed yellow cards to Humphrey for dissent and David Robertson for what appeared to be persistent fouling.

Squad Statistics (as at October 23rd, 2010)

2010-11 All Time
Dušan Perniš (GK)25 12 - 37 -
Garry Kenneth23 11 - 1396
Paul Dixon23 11 - 741
Scott Severin31 7 - 7 -
Seán Dillon27 12 - 1332
Craig Conway25 8 - 14513
Morgaro Gomis25 1211507
Prince Buaben22 12 - 1108
David Robertson24 8 - 11616
David Goodwillie21 1269926
Jon Daly27 1249028
Barry Douglas (sub)21 6 - 6 -
Johnny Russell (sub)20 4 - 102

League Table (as at October 23rd, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.