Cowdenbeath 1
Dundee Utd 4
League Cup (2nd Round 2nd Leg)


1 - 4

Dundee Utd

League Cup (2nd Round 2nd Leg)
Saturday, August 30th, 1980
Central Park. Att. 1,232
3:00 PM Kick-off

Jim Liddle (47) Paul Hegarty (8)
Joe Ward (22)
Joe Ward (63)
Paul Sturrock (67)

Team Managers
Pat Stanton Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Ray Allan
Andy Rolland
Jim Markey
Dave Hunter
Bobby Russell
Grant Tierney
Gordon Forrest
Brian Ferrier
Jim Liddle
JIm Marshall
Billy Steele
Hamish McAlpine
Derek Stark
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Derek Addison
Paul Sturrock
Joe Ward

Keith Ferguson
John Fleming
Colin Campbell
Graeme Payne

Keith Ferguson for Billy Steele (71) Colin Campbell for Derek Addison

None. Paul Hegarty (26)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

B Robertson (East Kilbride) (Referee)

Match Report

Just days after the 1st leg at Tannadice, United made the short journey down the A92 for their first visit to Central Park in ten years. The only change to the line up was defender Iain Phillip in for Graeme Payne, who dropped to the bench. Also listed as substitute was Colin Campbell, who would make his first competitive appearance in a United shirt since signing from Hibs during the summer.

Cowdenbeath threatened twice early in the game, with Hamish McAlpine rushing from his box to clear before saving a Marshall header after good work from ex-United favourite Any Rolland. Ward blasted a 20 yarder narrowly past before Paul Hegarty headed home from a Derek Stark cross in the 8th minute. Rolland and Liddle both came close to equalising on the night, but in the 22nd minute Joe Ward slammed the ball home after a Hegarty flick from a Ralph Milne corner. Eamonn Bannon came close after a fantastic solo run, and Hegarty was booked for handling a Rolland through ball. On the half hour mark Paul Sturrock crashed a shot off the post with Ray Allan well beaten, and four minutes later Milne headed over from close in.

Two minutes into the second half, Jim Liddle pulled a goal back for the Fifers by heading a Billy Steele corner firmly past McAlpine. The keeper then saved a 25 yarder from Dave Hunter before Sturrock had the ball in the net in the 50th minute, but the linesman's flag meant it did not count. A Bannon corner in the 63rd minute was met by Milne, who headed back across the goal for Joe Ward to score his 5th goal in three matches in the competition with a header from six yards. Four minutes later Paul Sturrock combined brilliantly with Milne to break clear and slammed the ball home from 12 yards. Hunter was booked in the 75th minute for a bad challenge on Iain Phillip, and United were unlucky not to score a fifth when Allan pulled off a one-handed save to prevent Ward from completing a hat-trick. Chances continued at both ends as the game drew to a close, but United coasted through to the 3rd round.

Squad Statistics (as at August 30th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)32 7 - 4163
Iain Phillip29 5 - 541
Derek Stark21 7 - 892
Dave Narey24 7129121
Paul Hegarty26 7424543
Derek Addison25 7 - 12212
Billy Kirkwood21 7 - 13128
Ralph Milne19 62275
Eamonn Bannon22 73387
Paul Sturrock23 7422659
Joe Ward25 6565
Colin Campbell (sub)23 1 - 1 -

League Table (as at August 30th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Rangers 3 2 1 0 +5 5
2. Aberdeen 3 2 1 0 +5 5
3. Celtic 3 2 0 1 +3 4
4. United 3 0 3 0 0 3
5. Airdrie 3 1 1 1 -2 3
6. Kilmarnock 3 1 1 1 -2 3
7. St Mirren 3 1 0 2 0 2
8. Hearts 3 1 0 2 -1 2
9. Partick Th 3 1 0 2 -4 2
10. Morton 3 0 1 2 -4 1