Slask Wroclaw 0
Dundee Utd 0
UEFA Cup (1st Round 1st Leg)

Slask Wroclaw 

0 - 0

Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup (1st Round 1st Leg)
Wednesday, September 17th, 1980
Stadion Oporowska. Att. 10,000
4:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Orest Lenczyk Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Zdzislaw Kostrzewa
Ryszard Sobiesiak
Henryk Kowalczyk
Zygmunt Garlowski
Jerzy Matys
Roman Faber
Roman Wojcicki
Miroslaw Pekala
Tadeusz Pawlowski
Janusz Szarek
Jacek Nocko
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Walter Smith
Frank Kopel
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Graeme Payne

Miroslaw Sieja
Marek Szeptunowski
John Gardiner
Ralph Milne
Willie Pettigrew
Joe Ward

Marek Szeptunowski for Roman Wojcicki (67)
Miroslaw Sieja for Roman Faber (80)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Svein-Inge Thime (Norway) (Referee)

Match Report

After a 14 hour marathon trip to Wroclaw, the United camp was then hit by a flu virus during their first training session ahead of this game. With Derek Addison also pulling a muscle in that same training session, and Iain Phillip already out with a toe infection, Jim McLean recalled 32 year-old player/coach Walter Smith to the starting line-up for the first time in over a year. Dave Narey recovered from his hip injury in time to play. Willie Pettigrew remained on the bench due to the virus, with youngster Davie Dodds keeping his place in the starting eleven.

The Poles started strongly, and Pawlowski shot into the net from 12 yards, but he was ruled offside. The visitors quickly recovered, and only a desperate goal-line clearance by Matys stopped Paul Sturrock scoring after five minutes. Seconds later, Slask went close when Szarek shot over from the edge of the area. In the 13th minute Frank Kopel sent in a cross from the left, and Davie Dodds rose unchallenged to head brilliantly home from 18 yards out, but United's celebrations were cut short when the referee disallowed the goal for a mystery infringement. Twelve minutes later, and Dodds had the ball in the net again, chipping home after chasing a Narey through ball, but again the referee thwarted the striker with an offside decision. The Poles nearly scored before the break, when Nocko latched on to a Heagrty pass back, but McAlpine made a daring stop.

In the second half United continued to dominate and within five minutes they had two penalty claims turned down. First Dodds was bundled over after a Narey pass had left him a chance, and then Bannon was clearly fouled by defender Garlowski, but on both occasions United's claims were in vain. United's professional and controlled performance provides them with the perfect base from which to launch a home leg victory in two weeks time.

Squad Statistics (as at September 17th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)32 11 - 4193
Dave Narey24 10129321
Paul Hegarty26 11424843
Frank Kopel31 5 - 34413
Walter Smith32 1 - 1813
Derek Stark21 11 - 932
Eamonn Bannon22 113427
Billy Kirkwood22 11 - 13428
Davie Dodds21 418123
Paul Sturrock23 11422959
Graeme Payne24 10323916

League Table (as at September 17th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Aberdeen 5 3 2 0 +11 8
2. Celtic 5 4 0 1 +8 8
3. Rangers 5 3 2 0 +7 8
4. Airdrie 5 1 3 1 -2 5
5. Hearts 5 2 0 3 -2 4
6. United 5 0 4 1 -2 4
7. Partick Th 5 2 0 3 -6 4
8. St Mirren 5 1 1 3 -1 3
9. Kilmarnock 5 1 1 3 -5 3
10. Morton 5 1 1 3 -8 3