Dundee Utd 1
Aberdeen 0
League Cup (Quarter Final 2nd Leg)

Dundee Utd
1 - 0

League Cup (Quarter Final 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, October 6th, 1982
Tannadice Park. Att. 11,753
7:30 PM Kick-off

Paul Sturrock (pen.) (73)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Ferguson

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Iain Phillip
3. Derek Stark
4. Richard Gough
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Maurice Malpas
8. Ralph Milne
9. Billy Kirkwood
10. Paul Sturrock
11. Davie Dodds
Jim Leighton .1
Neale Cooper .2
Doug Rougvie .3
John McMaster .4
Alex McLeish .5
Willie Miller .6
Gordon Strachan .7
Neil Simpson .8
Mark McGhee .9
John Hewitt .10
Peter Weir .11

12. Ian Britton
14. Graeme Payne
Dougie Bell .12
Eric Black .14

None. Eric Black for Mark McGhee (64)

Richard Gough (23)
Iain Phillip (30)
Alex McLeish (36)
Peter Weir (72)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

George Smith (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee United who have been League Cup Finalists for the last three years came into this match with a first leg lead. Almost 12,000 fans made it to Tannadice for what was to be at times a bad tempered affair.

The first half was rough and tumble with tackles flying in all over the park. Aberdeen appeared over anxious to cut the deficit from the first leg. While United looked nervy as they tried to preserve their advantage. In the 9th minute, Strachan sent Simpson clear through the middle and when the midfielder saw McAlpine come off his line, he chipped the ball over the 'keeper's head but also over the bar. Aberdeen were having much the better of it and with Strachan beginning to show his true form, there were worried looks in the Tannadice ranks. On the half-hour mark, McAlpine failed to hold a vicious drive from Simpson but made amends by diving at Rougvie's feet to clear. There were three booking in the first half with Gough first to collect following a foul on Hewitt. Phillip and McLeish also saw yellow.

There was bad luck for Aberdeen in 50 minutes when Weir, who was playing well, sped past Stark and flighted the ball across to the far post. Strachan got in behind the defence but watched in disbelief as his header came back off the woodwork. Then in 72 minutes, the tie was decided in one dramatic moment with United going ahead from the penalty spot. Rougvie was adjudged to have handled a Hegarty header on the line. Referee Smith, was surrounded by Aberdeen players claiming the ball had hit the defender on the chest. When some order was restored, Paul Sturrock hammered the spot-kick low past Leighton. There was nothing Aberdeen could do about it now and they looked like a side who knew they were going out of the competition. The Dons, two goals behind from the first leg, were the better side on the night, but turned their backs on enough chances to have won the game and then finally bowed out to the disputed penalty goal 18 minutes from the end.

Squad Statistics (as at October 6th, 1982)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)34 14 - 5393
Maurice Malpas20 142392
Derek Stark23 14 - 1693
Richard Gough20 141633
Paul Hegarty28 15136454
Dave Narey26 15341128
Iain Phillip31 10 - 1421
Ralph Milne21 11412031
Billy Kirkwood24 14423551
Davie Dodds24 15819075
Paul Sturrock25 157344109

League Table (as at October 6th, 1982)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 5 4 1 0 +12 9
2. Rangers 5 2 3 0 +6 7
3. DUNDEE UTD 5 2 3 0 +5 7
4. Dundee 5 2 2 1 +2 6
5. Aberdeen 5 2 1 2 +1 5
6. Morton 5 2 1 2 -2 5
7. St Mirren 5 1 2 2 -3 4
8. Hibernian 5 0 3 2 -3 3
9. Kilmarnock 5 0 3 2 -6 3
10. Motherwell 5 0 1 4 -12 1

League results since United's last match

Manager's Programme Notes

I am sure that last Saturday's thrilling contest with Celtic provided everyone Present with value for money. It proved the value a full house has on the players. For make no mistake, there is nothing better than the highly charged atmosphere generated by a large crowd to lift players and bring out the best in them as it did last weekend. Given circumstances like that every week, a lot of football's ills would disappear overnight. However, delighted as I was with Saturday's attendance and the game with Celtic as a spectacle, I must confess disappointment at some aspects of our display. Celtic put in a fine performance but I felt we were ragged in defence and up front. Whilst our equalising goal was a great advert for football, the one touch play indulged by our front men is not the recipe for consistency that brings success. Players have, in my opinion, grown up over the last year or so, having earned good results even after losing the opening goal.

I have noticed on such occasions however, the players appealing to the referee when things have started to go against them rather than fighting back in the way they did against Celtic in the last 30 minutes. I have been greatly pleased by the players on several occasions over recent years but I have never been prouder than after their display in Holland last week. That does not mean I will not be looking for better from them in the future. I am constantly seeking to improve the club, myself and the players. Tonight we face a tricky situation in opposing an Aberdeen side whose approach will be clear-cut—to attack. There can be no sterner warning to our players than last year's semi-final against the Dons when the positions were almost reversed and Alex Ferguson won't need me to remind him who qualified! We must therefore look for goals to decide the tie rather than rely on the two-goal lead we hold. I need only remind the players of what happened against Radnicki Nis with the display we turned in over there in similar circumstances.