Dundee Utd 3
Celtic 2
Scottish Cup (Semi Final Replay)

Dundee Utd
3 - 2

Scottish Cup (Semi Final Replay)
Wednesday, April 15th, 1981
Hampden Park. Att. 32,328
7:30 PM Kick-off

Eamonn Bannon (8)
Paul Hegarty (9)
Paul Hegarty (76)
Charlie Nicholas (pen.) (5)
Davie Provan (44)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Billy McNeill

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Pat Bonner
Murdo Macleod
Mark Reid
Dom Sullivan
Tom McAdam
Roy Aitken
Davie Provan
Mike Conroy
Frank McGarvey
Tommy Burns
Charlie Nicholas

Derek Stark
Willie Pettigrew
Roddie McDonald
Johnny Doyle

None. Johnny Doyle for Dom Sullivan

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

George Smith (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

United progressed to the final to face Rangers following a Semi Final Replay classic which ebbed and flowed throughout.

After stalemate in the original meeting four days earlier this game was the complete opposite as both sides went all out to get the win. In the 5th minute, John Holt was adjudged to have handled a Davie Provan cross at the far post, and Charlie Nicholas sent Hamish McAlpine the wrong way from the spot. United grabbed a quick equaliser just three minutes later when Paul Sturrock burst down the right and cut back for Eamonn Bannon to hammer the ball past Pat Bonner. With Celtic still reeling United struck again. Bannon fired a free-kick across goal and Paul Hegarty, who only passed a fitness test prior to kick off, stole in behind the defence to give Bonner no chance with a shot from six yards. Celtic eventually recovered, and in the 29th minute McAlpine made a fine save from a Nicholas effort. With a minute remaining of the first half, McAlpine punched clear from a McGarvey challenge, but Davie Provan met it first time to fire home from 18 yards.

As often is the case in such matches the goal deluge eased somewhat after the break and during the latter stages proceedings reached the stage where a goal for either side would probably be enough. Thankfully for United it was them who came out on top. With 14 minutes to go, a long free-kick sailed over everyone and Bannon headed back across the goal for Paul Hegarty to knock home the winner, meaning the Arabs were heading back to Hampden for their second ever Scottish Cup final.

Squad Statistics (as at April 15th, 1981)

1980-81 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)33 51 - 4603
Iain Phillip30 43 - 921
John Holt24 29113811
Frank Kopel32 44 - 38413
Dave Narey24 49233322
Paul Hegarty26 511028949
Eamonn Bannon22 48117915
Billy Kirkwood22 401016438
Ralph Milne19 2694712
Davie Dodds22 352011342
Paul Sturrock24 502226977

League Table (as at April 15th, 1981)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 32 24 3 5 +47 51
2. Aberdeen 32 18 9 5 +34 45
3. United 31 15 8 8 +23 38
4. Rangers 31 14 10 7 +23 38
5. St Mirren 33 15 8 10 +4 38
6. Airdrie 32 9 9 14 -13 27
7. Partick Th 33 9 9 15 -16 27
8. Morton 33 9 8 16 -21 26
9. Hearts 33 5 6 22 -40 16
10. Kilmarnock 32 4 8 20 -41 16