Rangers 0
Dundee Utd 0 (AET)
Scottish Cup (Final)


0 - 0

Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup (Final)
Saturday, May 9th, 1981
Hampden Park. Att. 53,358
3:00 PM Kick-off

Ian Redford (missed pen.) (89)

Team Managers
John Greig Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Jim Stewart
Sandy Jardine
Ally Dawson
Tom Forsyth
Gregor Stevens
Jim Bett
Tommy McLean
Bobby Russell
Colin McAdam
Ian Redford
Willie Johnston
Hamish McAlpine
Iain Phillip
Dave Narey
John Holt
Paul Hegarty
Frank Kopel
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Davie Cooper
John McDonald
Derek Stark
Willie Pettigrew

John McDonald for Willie Johnston (81)
Davie Cooper for Colin McAdam (75)
Derek Stark for Iain Phillip
Willie Pettigrew for Ralph Milne

Willie Johnston (48)
Tom Forsyth (119)
Gregor Stevens

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Ian Foote (Glasgow) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

United returned to Hampden Park for the clubs second ever Scottish Cup Final, and their second Final of the season having won the League Cup back in December. Captain Paul Hegarty had missed the final two league games of the season, but was recalled to the starting eleven at the expense of Derek Stark.

For the first 45 minutes United were the better side. Eamonn Bannon and Paul Sturrock were causing Rangers all sorts of problems and in defence both Dave Narey and Paul Hegarty were looking solid. While Rangers failed to created a chance, United squandered a number of them. the closest they came was in the 37th minute, when Bannon curved a wicked free-kick round the defensive wall and it looked a certain goal until Jim Stewart turned the ball away with one hand.

A measure of United's dominance was the fact that it took until well into the second half before Rangers got their first corner. By that time they were taking control of the game and exerting United to increasing levels of pressure. Jim Bett and Davie Cooper were causing concern for the United rear guard as they probed for an opening. Then in the final minute they thought they had gained the chance to win the game. Bobby Russell was downed in the box by Ian Phillip and the referee Ian Foote pointed to the spot. Ian Redford, who had scored a penalty against United the previous month, was the man given the opportunity to win the cup for the Gers. Redford's kick was straight down the middle, but as McAlpine dived to his right he stuck out a leg and saved the day for United.

The period of extra time was played out by tired men, who long before the end had resigned themselves to the fact that they would be back at Hampden on Tuesday night to try all over again.

Squad Statistics (as at May 9th, 1981)

1980-81 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)33 57 - 4663
Iain Phillip30 48 - 971
John Holt24 35114411
Frank Kopel32 49 - 38913
Dave Narey24 53233722
Paul Hegarty26 541029249
Eamonn Bannon23 54138517
Billy Kirkwood22 451216940
Ralph Milne19 32105313
Paul Sturrock24 562327578
Davie Dodds22 392211744
Derek Stark (sub)22 3711193
Willie Pettigrew (sub)27 32108232

League Table (as at May 9th, 1981)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 36 26 4 6 +47 56
2. Aberdeen 36 19 11 6 +35 49
3. Rangers 36 16 12 8 +28 44
4. St Mirren 36 18 8 10 +9 44
5. DUNDEE UTD 36 17 9 10 +24 43
6. Partick Th 36 10 10 16 -16 30
7. Airdrie 36 10 9 17 -19 29
8. Morton 36 10 8 18 -22 28
9. Kilmarnock 36 5 9 22 -42 19
10. Hearts 36 6 6 24 -44 18

League results since United's last match