Dundee Utd 2
Morton 0
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
2 - 0

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, April 12th, 1980
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,467
3:00 PM Kick-off

Willie Pettigrew (18)
Eamonn Bannon (pen.) (30)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Benny Rooney

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Derek Stark
3. Frank Kopel
4. Iain Phillip
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Eamonn Bannon
8. Paul Sturrock
9. Willie Pettigrew
10. John Holt
11. Davie Dodds
Roy Baines .1
Neil Orr .2
Jim Holmes .3
Billy McLaren .4
Joe McLaughlin .5
Jim Rooney .6
Ally Scott .7
Jim Tolmie .8
Bobby Thomson .9
Roddy Hutchison .10
Andy Ritchie .11

12. Billy Kirkwood
14. Ralph Milne
Jimmy Miller .12
John McNeil .14

Billy Kirkwood for Davie Dodds (73)
John McNeill for Jim Tolmie (51)
Jimmy Miller for Roddy Hutchison (80)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

B Robertson (East Kilbride) (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee United fielded the eleven who beat Celtic in midweek with Billy Kirkwood and Ralph Milne left on the bench again. Morton also had an unchanged side, having won their last two games away from home.

The casual opening to this match was only disturbed by a determined Pettigrew run and shot in five minutes, but his effort was off target. Sturrock was next to threaten when his powerful shot was blocked by a defender on the edge of the box. United then followed up with another dangerous move. Bannon dispatched an inch-perfect pass to Sturrock on the wing. He outstripped Holmes and crossed low to Pettigrew. Baines in the Morton goal was able to save his shot though, at the second attempt. With 18 minutes played, United took the lead. Bannon did all the spade work to create an opening at the edge of the box and Willie Pettigrew advanced to rifle an unstoppable left foot shot past Baines. On the half-hour mark United earn a penalty kick. Sturrock chased a high lob from Holt and crossed from the by-line. The ball got stopped by the hand of Holmes and the referee pointed to the spot after a brief check with the linesman. Eamonn Bannon made no mistake with the spot-kick, sending Baines the wrong way. Bannon almost made it two in two minutes when he wheeled on a Sturrock cross, but his shot lacked power.

After a quiet opening to the second half, Morton brought on McNeill for Tolmie in 51 minutes. Sturrock was causing all sorts of problems at this stage and he had two very close things. First a hard curling cross from the right beat Baines but was plucked from Holt's head by a timely Rooney header. From the following short corner, Sturrocked volleyed wide a Bannon cross from just eight yards. On the hour mark, Thomson met a brilliant Ritchie corner with a perfectly timed leap, but somehow he directed his header across goal instead of into the net. Dave Narey had bad luck in 64 minutes when he powerfully headed a Sturrock cross past Baines, only to see it hit the post. As the match petered out, United squandered another chance when Kirkwood headed weakly wide after a Sturrock cross, with the goal at his mercy. It ended with two more important points for United at the end of a good week for the club.

Squad Statistics (as at April 12th, 1980)

1979-80 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)32 39 - 4063
Derek Stark21 441772
Iain Phillip29 331441
Dave Narey23 46127920
John Holt23 1931059
Frank Kopel31 45433813
Paul Hegarty25 38223639
Eamonn Bannon21 262262
Paul Sturrock23 461221555
Willie Pettigrew26 45204520
Davie Dodds21 2777321
Billy Kirkwood (sub)21 37512028

League Table (as at April 12th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 30 15 10 5 +24 40
2. Aberdeen 29 15 7 7 +21 37
3. St Mirren 31 13 11 7 +6 37
4. Morton 32 14 6 12 +8 34
5. DUNDEE UTD 31 10 11 10 +10 31
6. Rangers 30 12 7 11 +6 31
7. Partick Th 29 7 13 9 -8 27
8. Kilmarnock 30 8 11 11 -15 27
9. Dundee 32 9 6 17 -23 24
10. Hibernian 28 5 4 19 -29 14

League results since United's last match
9th April 1980
Partick Th1-1St Mirren
12th April 1980
Dundee Utd2-0Morton
St Mirren3-1Kilmarnock

Manager's Programme Notes

This afternoon I take great pleasure in welcoming you back to Tannadice — especially after that most heartening of results on Tuesday night past. I said in this column that everyone connected at Tannadice dearly wished to provide you with a talking point other than our recent lack of goalscoring — and thankfully we did in a convincing 3-0 win. A win I may add which in Premier League terms is a hammering for any side to have taken, let alone the fact that Celtic are league leaders and aspiring champions.. I also mentioned in my Celtic programme comments that we do not have anything to fear from any side nowadays — and once again the players proved that is indeed the case. For I see that result as providing us with a tremendous confidence boost for future meetings with the Old Firm clubs against whom we have tended to miss out against in the past. Mind you, the fact that Celtic came to Tannadice to "play us" meant an awful lot to our performance, for few sides are prepared to do that here.

Most are content to play things tight and hope to catch us out and I do not see Andy Ritchie and Co. being any different this afternoon. At this point I must pass on praise to two players who seldom get a mention in despatches. Dave Dodds' four goals in three recent outings speaks for itself when goals were hard to come by. And although I realise that experienced Frank Kopel is not the terracing favourite here at Tannadice, his ability to come back still amazes me. I feel certain that Celtic's two wingers Johnny Doyle, although absent earlier this week, and Dave Provan, would bear testimony to that. Neither has ever been successful against Kopel. However, to turn back to my natural state, there is another aspect of the side which is far from satisfying me namely the midfield. Although in recent outings things have improved slightly I want to make it loud and clear to players in 'that department that the scoring of perhaps one or two goals in a 30-40 season's fixture list is not acceptable and that in future those concerned can forget a long term future here at Tannadice. Finally, may I add my congratulations to our United under-18 squad for bringing back the prestigious Eastercraigs international tournament trophy for the second time in three attempts.