Dundee Utd 1
Hearts 1
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
1 - 1

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, November 17th, 1990
Tannadice Park. Att. 10,821
3:00 PM Kick-off

Darren Jackson (pen.) (65)
Craig Levein (35)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Joe Jordan

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Christian Dailly
Miodrag Krivokapić
Gijs Steinmann
Brian Welsh
Maurice Malpas
Alex Cleland
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Ray McKinnon
Darren Jackson
Henry Smith
Jimmy Sandison
Tosh McKinlay
Craig Levein
Gary Mackay
Dave McPherson
John Colquhoun
Neil Berry
Wayne Foster
Davie Kirkwood
John Robertson

Michael O'Neill
Dave Bowman
Iain Ferguson
Walter Kidd

Michael O'Neill for Christian Dailly (88)
Iain Ferguson for John Robertson

Billy McKinlay (89)
Tosh McKinlay (41)
John Cloquhon (47)
Wayne Foster (59)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Andrew Waddell (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

Hearts almost inevitable prove to be tough opponents and this latest confrontation was no exception. Although Hearts dominated the first half, we had the first shot at goal when Darren Jackson released Gijs Steinmann, but the Dutchman shot past. Two minutes later Hearts almost profited from a mighty Kirkwood shot which found Colquhoun out on the right, but Alan Main averted any danger by quickly coming out from his box. Midway through the first half Alan Main had to dash from his line, this time to make a blocking tackle on Foster on the corner of his box. Ten minutes from the interval we found ourselves trailing. A Colquhoun corner was headed goalwards by Craig Levein and past Alan Main and Jim McInally on the line. John Robertson was lurking in the region and claimed he got the faintest of touches. Towards half-time we came back into things and Brian Welsh got his head to a Jim McInally free-kick. Three minutes from half-time Brian Welsh headed down to Darren Jackson, but the striker's shot went into the side-netting.

The second period saw us open in much more determined mood. In fact, within the first five minutes of the second half we had created as many chances as in the first! Almost immediately Smith was in action. From a Billy McKinlay free-kick, Raymond McKinnon flicked the ball on to Darren Jackson whose header looked a certain goal until Smith scampered across his goal to make a superb stop. A minute later Alex Cleland shot fractionally past the far post from a Gijs Steinmann cross. Our onslaught continued with a tremendous move involving Ray McKinnon and Billy McKinlay with the former finding himself in space and taking the ball on his chest before firing in a volley which went very narrowly over. The eventual outcome of the match hinged on two penalty claims within the space of six minutes. Foster was body checked on the edge of the box by Maurice Malpas. The referee adjudged that the offence took place outside the area. In the 65th minute we were successful in our appeals for a penalty. Christian Dailly sliced his shot and as Ray McKinnon tried to evade Henry Smith's challenge was tripped. Darren Jackson made no mistake from the spot for his 11th goal of the season. Hearts hit back, but found Alan Main in fine form. Firstly he held a powerfully struck free-kick. Then he parried a Robertson shot from the edge of the box and made another fine save from Gary Mackay. At the other end Smith had to pluck a Darren Jackson header from under the bar, but the game ultimately ended as a draw with controversy raging over those two penalty incidents.

Squad Statistics (as at November 17th, 1990)

1990-91 All Time
Alan Main (GK)22 11 - 57 -
Maurice Malpas28 21 - 46114
Gijs Steinmann29 5151
Miodrag Krivokapić31 10 - 751
Alex Cleland19 202503
Brian Welsh21 191272
Christian Dailly17 134134
Ray McKinnon20 81201
Jim McInally26 19120210
Billy McKinlay21 211993
Darren Jackson24 20125320
Michael O'Neill (sub)21 9 - 347

League Table (as at November 17th, 1990)

No league table has been added for this season.