Dundee Utd 2
Airdrie 0
Scottish Cup (4th Round)

Dundee Utd
2 - 0

Scottish Cup (4th Round)
Saturday, February 23rd, 1991
Tannadice Park. Att. 8,648
3:00 PM Kick-off

Hamish French (49)
Hamish French (82)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jimmy Bone

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Miodrag Krivokapić
Freddy van der Hoorn
John Clark
Jim McInally
Ray McKinnon
John O'Neil
Dave Bowman
Duncan Ferguson
Hamish French
John Martin
Sandy Stewart
Ian McPhee
John Watson
Jim Smith
Paul Jack
Davie Kirkwood
Alan Lawrence
Graham Harvey
Owen Coyle
Evan Balfour

Billy McKinlay
Darren Jackson
Danny Crainie
Innes MacDonald

Billy McKinlay for Ray McKinnon (62)
Darren Jackson for Duncan Ferguson (78)
Danny Crainie for Jim Smith (80)
Innes MacDonald for Graham Harvey (80)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Hugh Williamson (Renfrew) (Referee)

Match Report

The well worn cliche "a typical Cup tie" does not apply to this fourth round tie with Airdrie. The visitors rarely looked like scoring and it was really only a question of whether we would break down the Diamonds defence. This we did early in the second half and from then on there was always going to be one winner. In the opening ten minutes or so it didn't look as though we'd have to wait until the second half to edge in front. Both Hamish French and John O'Neil sent in efforts which were just off target. Then Duncan Ferguson headed a long hanging Dave Bowman cross inches over. After that early spell of pressure, Airdrie came more into the frame, but rarely threatened any danger to Alan Main. In fact the nearest they came to scoring was when Owen Coyle almost got on the end of a Freddy Van Der Hoorn pass-back. Four minutes from half-time we almost made the break through when Duncan Ferguson drove the ball across the face of the goal and John O'Neil only just failed to get the vital touch.

Five minutes into the second half the Diamonds' defence was breached. Alan Main launched the ball deep into the Airdrie box and the ball fell to John O'Neil from the head of an Airdrie
defender, but Martin blocked his shot which landed at the feet of Hamish French who netted from inside the six yard box despite the despairing efforts of an Airdrie defender. Playing towards the Arklay Street end, we almost completely dominated proceedings. Jim Mclnally was unlucky to see his long range efforts deflected just past. John O'Neil then squared the ball to John Clark whose first time shot was well held by Martin. In the 81st minute Airdrie contrived their only real effort on target when Balfour sent in a header from 12 yards, but straight at Alan Main. A minute later the outcome was put beyond doubt with a goal which had remarkably similar build-up to the first. Alan Main again kicked out deep into the Airdrie half. Darren Jackson sent it on to Hamish French who chipped the advancing Martin and eventually knocked the ball over the line despite Watson's attempts to stop him. Two minutes from time John O'Neil almost made it three, but both his efforts were blocked. So now it is a case of hoping our fourth post-war victory over Airdrie will have a similar pattern and we will again reach the Cup Final because that is what has happened on the previous three occasions in 1974, 1987 and 1988!

Squad Statistics (as at February 23rd, 1991)

1990-91 All Time
Alan Main (GK)23 27 - 73 -
Freddy van der Hoorn27 331753
Miodrag Krivokapić31 25 - 901
Maurice Malpas28 37147715
Jim McInally27 35121810
John Clark26 12321729
Ray McKinnon20 121241
John O'Neil19 7 - 18 -
Dave Bowman26 1711815
Duncan Ferguson19 8181
Hamish French27 1347813
Billy McKinlay (sub)21 3621144
Darren Jackson (sub)24 34156723

League Table (as at February 23rd, 1991)

No league table has been added for this season.