Brechin City 2
Dundee Utd 4
Scottish Cup (3rd Round)

Brechin City 

2 - 4

Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup (3rd Round)
Saturday, January 30th, 1982
Glebe Park. Att. 4,348
3:00 PM Kick-off

Rob Cormack (11)
John Holt (o.g.) (59)
Paul Sturrock (43)
Paul Sturrock (66)
Davie Dodds (70)
Billy Kirkwood (79)

Team Managers
Doug Houston Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Derek Neilson
David Watt
Ray Lorimer
Gerry Lesslie
Brian Reid
George Mackie
Ian Campbell
Atholl Henderson
Ian Paterson
Ian Stewart
Rob Cormack
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Derek Murray
Derek Stark
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Steve Graham
Dick Campbell
John Holt
Graeme Payne

Steve Graham for Ian Campbell (74)
Dick Campbell Atholl Henderson (85)
John Holt for Derek Murray (51)

Ian Stewart (20) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Galloway (Pitlessie) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

A season wrecked by the severe winter was further thrown into confusion as United played off their outstanding Third Round Scottish Cup tie a week late at Glebe Park. United made two changes from their last competitive match, with youngsters Maurice Malpas and Derek Murray coming in for John Holt and Iain Phillip.

Our first competitive visit to Glebe Park for 21 years, as anticipated, was a tough battle. United were unlucky not to take the lead in the first minute, when an Eamonn Bannon free-kick hit the post with former United keeper Derek Neilson well beaten. Davie Dodds had a shot that came off the top of the bar before Brechin City took a shock 10th minute lead. Rob Cormack latched onto a rare Paul Hegarty mistake to shoot home from a tight angle. Dodds again came close, this time with a header, but United found the equaliser three minutes before the interval. Paul Sturrock's precision header from an Eamonn Bannon corner brought us level.

There was further consternation in the Tannadice ranks when Cormack's cross was deflected past Hamish McAlpine by substitute John Holt 14 minutes into the second half. 2-1 down after an hours play, there was a feeling that there was going to be a Cup shock in Brechin, however relief came quickly when Paul Sturrock headed in his second equaliser in the 66th minute. Four minutes later a Ralph Milne corner was only partially cleared, and Maurice Malpas headed the ball back in to the box, where Davie Dodds volleyed United ahead for the first time. With 10 minutes remaining, a Sturrock shot rebounded off Neilson and Billy Kirkwood made it four to give the final scoreline a comfortable margin, which belied events on the park.

Squad Statistics (as at January 30th, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)34 31 - 4983
Derek Murray21 13 - 15 -
Maurice Malpas19 4 - 4 -
Derek Stark23 18 - 1383
Dave Narey25 31136923
Paul Hegarty27 29232251
Billy Kirkwood23 28619846
Ralph Milne20 30108423
Eamonn Bannon23 331411931
Paul Sturrock25 291730595
Davie Dodds23 311014955
John Holt (sub)25 30317514

League Table (as at January 30th, 1982)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 17 12 3 2 +20 27
2. Rangers 18 8 7 3 +7 23
3. St Mirren 17 9 4 4 +9 22
4. Hibernian 19 6 7 6 +5 19
5. DUNDEE UTD 15 7 4 4 +12 18
6. Aberdeen 16 7 4 5 +3 18
7. Morton 17 5 4 8 -11 14
8. Dundee 19 5 1 13 -14 11
9. Airdrie 17 3 5 9 -18 11
10. Partick Th 17 2 5 10 -13 9

League results since United's last match
30th January 1982
Dundee0-2St Mirren
Morton0-0Partick Th