Aberdeen 2
Dundee Utd 1
League (Premier Division)


2 - 1

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, March 20th, 1982
Pittodrie. Att. 12,056
3:00 PM Kick-off

John Hewitt (43)
Alex McLeish (74)
Davie Dodds (47)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Jim Leighton
Stuart Kennedy
Doug Rougvie
Andy Watson
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Gordon Strachan
Neale Cooper
Mark McGhee
Neil Simpson
John Hewitt
Hamish McAlpine
Derek Stark
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Dave Narey
Richard Gough
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Ian Gibson
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds

Steve Cowan
John McMaster
Maurice Malpas
John Reilly

John McMaster for Andy Watson
Steve Cowan for John Hewitt
John Reilly for John Holt
Maurice Malpas for Ian Gibson

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Kenny Hope (Clarkston) (Referee)

Match Report

United travelled to Pittodrie still smarting from their controversial midweek defeat in Yugoslavia. The only change made from the side that lost out to Radnick Nis in the UEFA Cup quarter finals was Ian Gibson coming in for Iain Phillip. Teenagers Maurice Malpas and John Reilly were handed the two places on the bench.

The first real threat happened in the seventh minute, when Doug Rougvie got his head to a high Stuart Kennedy cross, but Neil Simpson head-flicked the ball wide of goal. Three mintes later Andy Watson tested Hamish McAlpine with a drive from 25 yards, and in the 17th minute United tested Jim Leighton with a half-hit snapshot from Paul Sturrock. McAlpine parried a Simpson effort in the 37th minute, but the keeper could not prevent the Dons taking the lead five minutes later. Shortly after strong Tannadice claims for a penalty had been rejected, Gordon Strachan started the move that ended with Mark McGhee crossing to John Hewitt, who swept the ball into the net to give Aberdeen a half-time lead.

United took only two minutes of the second half to get back on level terms. Alex McLeish failed to clear a bouncing ball in the Aberdeen penalty box and Davie Dodds snapped up the loose ball, wheeled and fired past Leighton. Alex Ferguson moved McLeish into a midfield role, a move which, along with a United side tiring after their midweek exploits, changed the momentum of the game. With Aberdeen regaining the initiative, Kennedy forced his way to the by line and cut the ball back for Alex McLeish to head home the winner with 16 minutes to go. It was poor reward for a hard working United eleven after a tiring week.

Squad Statistics (as at March 20th, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)34 45 - 5123
Paul Hegarty27 43233651
Dave Narey25 45238324
John Holt25 42518716
Derek Stark23 28 - 1483
Richard Gough19 322362
Ian Gibson25 6 - 202
Billy Kirkwood23 41721147
Eamonn Bannon23 471713334
Paul Sturrock25 411831796
Davie Dodds23 441616261
Maurice Malpas (sub)19 14 - 14 -
John Reilly (sub)19 6181

League Table (as at March 20th, 1982)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 24 16 5 3 +27 37
2. Aberdeen 24 12 7 5 +14 31
3. Rangers 25 11 9 5 +10 31
4. St Mirren 24 11 7 6 +7 29
5. Hibernian 27 8 11 8 +4 27
6. DUNDEE UTD 23 9 7 7 +13 25
7. Morton 26 7 8 11 -13 22
8. Dundee 26 6 4 16 -19 16
9. Airdrie 24 5 6 13 -22 16
10. Partick Th 25 3 8 14 -21 14

League results since United's last match
17th March 1982
20th March 1982
Aberdeen2-1Dundee Utd
Morton0-1St Mirren
Rangers4-1Partick Th