Partick Th 2
Dundee Utd 3
League (Premier Division)

Partick Th 

2 - 3

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, April 14th, 1982
Firhill. Att. 2,997
7:30 PM Kick-off

Iain Jardine (24)
Kenny Watson (86)
Davie Dodds (12)
Davie Dodds (18)
Davie Dodds (55)

Team Managers
Peter Cormack Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan Rough
Dave McKinnon
John Lapsley
Andy Anderson
Andy Dunlop
Kenny Watson
Donald Park
Jamie Doyle
Maurice Johnston
Alex O'Hara
Iain Jardine
Hamish McAlpine
Derek Stark
Maurice Malpas
Richard Gough
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds

Ian McDonald
Tony Higgins
Iain Phillip
John Reilly

Tony Higgins for Alex O'Hara (68) Iain Phillip for Derek Stark (2)

Dave McKinnon (89) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Dougie Ramsay (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

With the games coming thick and fast, Billy Kirkwood and Ralph Milne came in for John Holt and John Reilly for this rearranged match that had originally been postponed way back in December.

After just two minutes, Derek Stark had to go off after twisting an ankle in a challenge with Park and Doyle, Iain Phillips coming on as a substitute. Ten minutes later, Davie Dodds began and finished the move which put United in front, sending Ralph Milne down the right, and then sweeping home the wingers cross after a dummy from Paul Sturrock. Partick keeper Alan Rough saved well after an incredible scramble in the Thistle penalty area, then soon after Sturrock should have made it two when clean through, but saw Rough push the ball away. In the 19th minute, Davie Dodds scored his second, heading Eamonn Bannon's cross out of the goalkeeper's reach. Ian Jardine smashed a 30 yard drive past Hamish McAlpine to bring the Glasgow club back into contention, and almost brought the team level with a similar drive moments later, but this time McAlpine saved well.

Early in the second half, Rough saved well from a fine effort from Sturrock, but couldn't prevent United's third in the 56th minute, with Davie Dodds completing his hat-trick, slotting home from a low Milne cross. With four minutes left a cross from Kenny Watson fooled everybody and bounced into the net.

An efficient performance from United, with Dodds grabbing his fourth senior hat-trick, with both Hibs and St Mirren losing, United went three points clear of their rivals for a UEFA Cup slot, and with Rangers losing at Dens Park, the Tannadice men climbed to third in the Premier Division table.

Squad Statistics (as at April 14th, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)76 0 - 0 -
Dave Narey67 0 - 0 -
Maurice Malpas61 0 - 0 -
Richard Gough62 0 - 0 -
Derek Stark65 0 - 0 -
Paul Hegarty69 0 - 0 -
Ralph Milne62 0 - 0 -
Billy Kirkwood65 0 - 0 -
Eamonn Bannon65 0 - 0 -
Paul Sturrock67 0 - 0 -
Davie Dodds65 0 - 0 -
Iain Phillip (sub)73 0 - 0 -

League Table (as at April 14th, 1982)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.

League results since United's last match