Dundee Utd 4
Hibernian 1
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
4 - 1

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, December 10th, 1988
Tannadice Park. Att. 9,963
3:00 PM Kick-off

Hamish French (12)
Graham Mitchell (o.g.) (17)
Billy McKinlay (62)
Kevin Gallacher (73)
Steve Archibald (78)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Miller

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Dave Bowman
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Mixu Paatelainen
Hamish French
Kevin Gallacher
Andy Goram
Gordon Hunter
Calum Milne
Neil Orr
Gordon Rae
Graham Mitchell
Joe McBride
Steve Archiblad
Paul Kane
John Collins
Gareth Evans

Harry Curran
Miodrag Krivokapić
Joe Tortolano
Mickey Weir

Miodrag Krivokapić for Billy McKinlay (79)
Harry Curran for Mixu Paatelainen (85)
Mickey Weir for Gareth Evans (71)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Brian McGinlay (Balfron) (Referee)

Match Report

Our recent run of non-success against Hibs at Tannadice was halted with this emphatic victory. Strangely though, Hibs played very well! They set out their stall to attack and dominated the opening ten minutes, only to find themselves trailing after only 12 minutes. Paul Hegarty in the unaccustomed right wing position sent over the perfect cross to the far post. Mixu Paatelainen nodded the ball back across the face of the goal and Hamish French applied the finishing touch. Two minutes later Hibs came very close to grabbing an equaliser. John Collins hit a viciously curling free kick which Billy Thomson parried and then thwarted Rae's follow-up effort, diving full length to block the Hibs skipper's shot. The manner in which we got our second goal was bizarre. Neil Orr knocked the ball back to Graham Mitchell and his routine pass back to Goram turned into disaster as the goalkeeper had advanced from goal and the ball rolled gently into the vacant net. Kevin Gallacher almost made it three, but his overhead effort was fractionally high. Hibs, though two down, kept up the pressure and Evans headed wide. Then Evans set up a chance for Joe McBride, but he shot over from a good position. Evans then saw another header from a McBride cross flash past the wrong side of the post.

The interval brought no change in the pattern of play as Hibs fought hard to get back in the game. Another free kick from Collins was almost identical to the one in the first half. Only Billy Thomson was equal to it at the first time of asking. Neil Orr then smashed a shot against the bar and a minute later Billy Thomson again
made a superb save, this time from Evans. Goram then blocked a shot from Kevin Gallacher on the hour mark, but he was beaten a couple of minutes later. Kevin Gallacher played the ball inside to Billy McKinlay, who struck a low shot into the corner of the net. This was the goal that finally killed off this fighting Easter Road side and Hamish French hit a fierce drive over and Kevin Gallacher cut in only to shoot straight at Goram. However, there was better luck for Kevin in the 73rd minute. A corner from the left came off the head of a Hibs defender and Kevin Gallacher's diving header found the inside of the post. Five minutes later, Hibs hard work gained some scant reward when Steve Archibald headed in a McBride cross. So our most convincing home win of the season, took us into second place in the League, ahead of Aberdeen on goal difference.

Squad Statistics (as at December 10th, 1988)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)30 26 - 190 -
Dave Beaumont25 1821155
Paul Hegarty34 20 - 67881
Maurice Malpas26 27 - 37711
Dave Narey32 24 - 73436
Dave Bowman24 2611162
Jim McInally24 18 - 1154
Billy McKinlay19 211402
Mixu Paatelainen21 24105021
Hamish French24 161425
Kevin Gallacher22 23514331
Harry Curran (sub)22 1 - 10 -
Miodrag Krivokapić (sub)29 14 - 14 -

League Table (as at December 10th, 1988)

No league table has been added for this season.