Celtic 1
Dundee Utd 0
League (Premier Division)


1 - 0

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, March 25th, 1989
Parkhead. Att. 34,795
3:00 PM Kick-off

Mark McGhee (44) None.

Team Managers
Billy McNeill Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Pat Bonner
Chris Morris
Anton Rogan
Roy Aitken
Steve McCahill
Peter Grant
Billy Stark
Paul McStay
Andy Walker
Mark McGhee
Tommy Burns
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Harry Curran
Dave Narey
Mixu Paatelainen
Dave Bowman
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
J Alan Irvine
Kevin Gallacher

Joe Miller
Tommy Coyne
Paul Hegarty
Paul Sturrock

Tommy Coyne for Andy Walker (75) Paul Hegarty for Gary McGinnis (29)
Paul Sturrock for Harry Curran (80)

None. Billy McKinlay (67)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

D Miller (Garrowhill) (Referee)

Match Report

Until this match we had lost only once away from home in the League. Celtic having defeated us 1-0 back in October. Whilst Parkhead remained the only ground on which we had lost, Celtic repeated the scoreline of the earlier meeting and double our tally of defeats away from Tannadice.

The match wasn't typical of normal clashes between Celtic and ourselves with a strangely subdued atmosphere, which perhaps found its way onto the field of play. We created the first scoring chance when Kevin Gallacher set Alan Irvine away and the winger outpaced Rogan and crossed but Mixu Paatelainen's header bounced harmlessly into Bonner's arms. Mixu broke clear of two Celtic defenders only to shoot past after we won the chase for a high ball from Dave Bowman. In between these chances Billy Thomson had made a fine save from a Paul McStay shot hit on the turn.

Celtic did get the ball in the net in the 23rd minute but it was disallowed. Mark McGhee had found himself in space and lobbed Billy Thomson, who just managed to get a hand to his shot. The ball bounded towards goal and Walker applied the finishing touch only to be pulled up for off side to the great relief of the United support. This brought Celtic into action with the first spell of sustained pressure but without much real threat to Billy Thomson until a minute before half-time. McStay played the ball out to Stark on the right and his long ball across goal was stabbed home by Mark McGhee who was lurking at the far post.

We began the second half much more aggressively and might well have equalised five minutes after the break. Jim Mclnally and Kevin Gallacher combined to put Mixu Paatelainen clear on the left hand side, but his shot crept past the far post. Harry Curran then had a shot deflected for a corner and a Paul Hegarty shot was too high as we chased the equaliser. Undoubtedly our best chance came in the 61st minute when a clever shimmy by Harry Curran left him in space and Mixu Paatelainen was only a fraction too late to get a touch to Harry's inviting cross.

Celtic came back more into the game towards the end trying to hit us on the break, and perhaps the midweek efforts at Ibrox took its toll in the later stages when we rarely looked like pegging back Celtic's lead.

Squad Statistics (as at March 25th, 1989)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)31 41 - 205 -
Maurice Malpas26 42139212
Harry Curran22 3 - 12 -
Dave Narey32 38 - 74836
Gary McGinnis25 11 - 801
Jim McInally25 3311305
J Alan Irvine30 4 - 234
Dave Bowman25 3821283
Billy McKinlay19 331522
Mixu Paatelainen22 39166527
Kevin Gallacher22 371115737
Paul Hegarty (sub)34 33 - 69181
Paul Sturrock (sub)32 9 - 569170

League Table (as at March 25th, 1989)

No league table has been added for this season.