Inverness CT 2
Dundee Utd 3
League (SPL)

Inverness CT 

2 - 3

Dundee Utd

League (SPL)
Saturday, December 10th, 2011
Tulloch Caledonian Stadium. Att. 3,142
3:00 PM Kick-off

Johnny Hayes (2)
Billy Mckay(47)
Johnny Russell (51)
Stuart Armstrong (64)
Johnny Russell (78)

Team Managers
Terry Butcher Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Ryan Esson
Ross Tokely
Chris Hogg
Román Golabart
Kenny Gillet
Johnny Hayes
Greg Tansey
Andrew Shinnie
David Davis
Richie Foran
Billy Mckay
Dušan Perniš .1
Robbie Neilson .26
Seán Dillon .2
Paul Dixon .3
Gavin Gunning .18
Gary Mackay-Steven .17
John Rankin .11
Willo Flood .6
Scott Robertson .8
Stuart Armstrong .16
Jon Daly .9

Jonathan Tuffey
Graeme Shinnie
Lee Cox
Nick Ross
Gavin Morrison
Steve Banks .13
Barry Douglas .14
Garry Kenneth .5
Keith Watson .12
Ryan Dow .22
Johnny Russell .15
Lauri Dalla Valle .19

Lee Cox for Chris Hogg (15)
Nick Ross for Andrew Shinnie (67)
Grégory Tadé for Billy McKay (73)
Johnny Russell for Willo Flood (49)

David Davis (14)
Kenny Gillet (80)
Gary Mackay-Steven (35)
Seán Dillon (54)

Red Cards
David Davis (83) None.

Match Officials

Steven McLean (Referee)
James Bee & Michael Banks (Assistants)
Barry Cook (Fourth Official)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

Peter Houston made the decision to change the side that started the last four games; dropped were Kenneth and Russell with Dillon and Armstrong coming in. Heavy snow had fallen overnight in Inverness, however the staff at the Caledonian Stadium had done a good job to ensure the pitch was cleared in time for kick off.

United started out in a 4-5-1 formation with Daly leading the line. However, with only 60 seconds on the clock, United were caught cold when Davis drove into the box from the left side and cut back for Jonny Hayes to hammer home at the back post to give Inverness a 1-0 lead. In the 11th minute, the United defence were under threat again as an energetic Hayes burst through the midfield only to have the ball nicked from his feet before he managed to get a shot away. A minute later, a tackle just inside the Caley half left Hogg down on the turf waving for the physio. Hogg looked to be in significant discomfort and had to be stretchered off after a 4 minute stoppage. He was replaced by Cox. Inverness looked a little unsettled after the substitution and United tried to take advantage. A good run by Mackay- Steven set up Armstrong who was able to put a deep cross into the Inverness box. Flood was waiting at the back post but looked to be tripped as he chased the ball but the referee waved play on. Flood was involved again in the 27th minute when his looping header forced Esson to touch past the post for a corner. The set piece was cleared, but United soon forced another corner when a Mackay-Steven shot from the edge of the box was deflected wide. Again the corner came to nothing. As the game edged closer to half time, Inverness pressed further. Tokely found himself with time and space at the edge of the United box but Rankin was quick to react, closing down the defender before he could shoot. Pernis then had to pull off a fantastic save from a long range McKay effort. He was at full stretch to get a finger tip to the shot and force a corner. Inverness finished the half strongly and forced a string of corners in 1st half stoppage time. However, when referee Steven McLean blew for half time, it remained 1-0 to Inverness.

The second half started just like the first. With only a minute on the clock United were stunned when Billy McKay managed to find space inside the box and head into the bottom corner past a helpless Pernis. With Inverness 2-0 up, Houston quickly set about re-organising the team. Flood was substituted and replaced by Russell who moved up front alongside Daly. With United now playing a 4-4-2 formation, they began get back into the game. In the 50th minute, Armstrong set out on a fantastic run and he weaved his way past three Caley defenders. A neat pass slipped into Johnny Russell who found himself with room near the penalty spot to slot a great finish past Esson and get United back in the game. Russell’s introduction had sparked life into the Tangerines and they continued to press the Inverness defence. Inverness were restricted to counter attacks but had an opportunity to stretch their lead again when Dillon was booked for a foul at the edge of the box. The resultant free kick went narrowly wide. Inverness came very close a few minutes later when Foran drove a shot just past the post from 30 yards. However, in 63 minutes United were back on level terms. A powerful, quick run by Mackay-Steven saw Stuart Armstrong teed up just inside the left hand edge of the area and his deflected shot landed high up in the Caley net. United now looked in total control of the game as they continued to attack the end housing their vocal band of supporters. In 77 minutes United brought more joy to the fans that had made the long journey North. Johnny Russell got the ball at the edge of the area and passed the ball into the bottom corner of the net to grab his second goal and mark an astonishing turn around in the game. Inverness were beginning to look frustrated and in 82 minutes Davis was sent off after picking up a second yellow card for a tackle on Mackay-Steven. United calmly saw out the remaining minutes to earn a great victory in the Highlands.

Squad Statistics (as at December 10th, 2011)

2011-12 All Time
Dušan Perniš (GK)27 22 - 93 -
Robbie Neilson31 4 - 4 -
Gavin Gunning20 171171
Seán Dillon28 10 - 1743
Paul Dixon25 2211243
Scott Robertson26 1811036
Willo Flood26 22 - 901
John Rankin28 22 - 22 -
Gary Mackay-Steven21 132132
Stuart Armstrong19 101221
Jon Daly28 201013646
Johnny Russell (sub)21 2056016

League Table (as at December 10th, 2011)

No league table has been added for this season.