Dundee Utd 1
Inverness CT 1
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
1 - 1
Inverness CT 

League (SPL)
Sunday, August 28th, 2005
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,178
3:00 PM Kick-off

Lee Miller (66)
Craig Brewster (84)

Team Managers
Gordon Chisholm
Craig Brewster

Starting Eleven
1. Derek Stillie
2. Mark Wilson
23. Paul Ritchie
18. Garry Kenneth
5. Alan Archibald
8. Grant Brebner
11. Barry Robson
7. Mark Kerr
9. Lee Miller
21. Collin Samuel
20. David Fernández
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Darren Dods
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Barry Wilson
Ian Black
Roy McBain
Liam Fox
Craig Brewster
Craig Dargo

17. Craig Samson
12. Stuart Duff
3. David McCracken
26. Greg Cameron
Billy Dodds
19. Stevie Crawford
10. Jim McIntyre
Michael Fraser
Russell Duncan
David Proctor
Richie Hart
Tom Parratt
Alan Morgan
Dennis Wyness

Jim McIntyre for Collin Samuel (28)
Richie Hart for Liam Fox (71)
Dennis Wyness for Craig Dargo (78)

David Fernández (60)
Jim McIntyre (73)
Liam Fox (68)
Darren Dods (72)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Eddie Smith (Referee)
Tommy Johnston & Tom Murphy (Assistants)
Chris Boyle (Fourth Official)

Match Report

United looked to cure the hangover of Thursday’s UEFA cup exit and put on a show for the weary Arabs that came to Tannadice today. Manager Gordon Chisholm certainly rang the changes in an attempt to freshen his side leaving out Stuart Duff and Jim McIntyre and giving a start to David Fernandez and Garry Kenneth.

There was a subdued atmosphere as the match kicked off in a strong blustery wind.

Caley were first to threaten the goal when Kenneth was penalised for a challenge on Brewster and the United wall did its job when the kick was taken.

The strong wind was proving difficult for both sides but the big Inverness side seemed to handle the conditions better, using their size. After impressing in midweek, Samuel showed early promise and Fernandez also seemed to be mesmerising the Caley defence. The Spaniard took a square ball from Wilson in his stride then smacked a shot off the base of the right hand post. Barry Robson’s injury jinx seemed set to continue when he was injured in a challenge as he went to shoot but he was fit to continue.

Fernandez again weaved some magic on the right and his cross was just missed by Miller. ICT were far from out of the game – a dangerous Brewster cross was headed clear by Kenneth. From the resulting corner, both sets of players appealed for a handball but the referee saw no infringement either way and nothing was given.

Collin Samuel’s early promise was sadly about to end and he seemed to suffer a hamstring injury and was replaced by Jim McIntyre. Shortly after the change, Brown saved a Lee Miller free kick comfortably. United keeper Stillie was not to be outdone when he saved well from Brown after the United defence had been guilty of not attacking the ball.

Fernandez was denied again when the ball was booted away after a Wilson cross was chested to him by McIntyre. Great hold up play by Miller on the edge of the box saw him lay the ball into the path of Kerr and his shot was deflected for a corner.

The referee and his assistant brought the United fans to their feet when they judged Miller to be offside as McIntyre broke through, then once again when Robson was clattered and left lying on the turf as the game was allowed to continue. Craig Dargo went down easily under challenge from Ritchie but nothing was given. Barry Robson came close with a looping header and then Craig Brewster clipped the bar as the half ended.

David Fernandez started the second half promisingly and was harshly pulled up for a foul as he bore down on goal. The United striker was then involved in a spat with Black as his frustrating afternoon continued. Craig Dargo had the ball in the net for Caley but was ruled offside. The ex Kilmarnock striker then went close again but given Stillie’s reaction, the referee had missed a handball as he controlled the ball.

Caley were enjoying some consistent pressure and Craig Brewster was denied by a great fingertip save by Stillie as the veteran striker tried to chip him. Fernandez was booked for persistent fouling as the frustration for United continued.

Lee Miller was having a torrid afternoon, being caught offside all too often by the well disciplined Caley defence but his afternoon was about to change. Alan Archibald put a great cross in after a throw-in and the big striker powered a header home to put United ahead.

David Fernandez continued to torment the Caley defence and a great ball to Kerr was just intercepted by Dods. Lee Miller was intent on adding to his tally and he robbed Dods on the edge of the box and brought a good save from Brown – the Caley defender was booked for his challenge.

McIntyre followed him into the book when he seemed not to make contact with Wilson who fell over but the referee was adamant.

Dennis Wyness was introduced as Caley looked to get on level terms and his first involvement won a corner as Caley continued to threaten on the break.

Barry Robson met a McIntyre cross and the header bounced up allowing Brown to beat the ball away.

Sadly this miss was going to be rued by Arabs as Robson lost the ball in midfield and from the resulting break the United defence failed to clear allowing Wilson to cross and Brewster scored at the back post. Brewster had another chance to win the game for Caley but the game played out to a draw.

Squad Statistics (as at August 28th, 2005)

2005-06 All Time
Derek Stillie (GK)31 7 - 7 -
Garry Kenneth18 2 - 16 -
Mark Wilson21 7 - 12011
Alan Archibald27 7 - 956
Paul Ritchie30 3 - 34 -
Mark Kerr23 71794
Grant Brebner27 72474
Barry Robson26 6 - 8011
Collin Samuel24 51583
David Fernández29 3131
Lee Miller22 7474
Jim McIntyre (sub)33 7 - 14242

League Table (as at August 28th, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.