Dundee Utd 0
Rangers 0
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
0 - 0

League (SPL)
Sunday, October 16th, 2005
Tannadice Park. Att. 11,696
2:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Gordon Chisholm
Alex McLeish

Starting Eleven
1. Derek Stillie
5. Alan Archibald
3. David McCracken
2. Mark Wilson
23. Paul Ritchie
6. Peter Canero
11. Barry Robson
8. Grant Brebner
7. Mark Kerr
20. David Fernández
10. Jim McIntyre
Ronald Waterreus
Fernando Ricksen
Julien Rodriguez
Sotirios Kyrgiakos
Olivier Bernard
Chris Burke
Barry Ferguson
Brahim Hemdani
Peter Lovenkrands
Francis Jeffers
Dado Prso

17. Craig Samson
18. Garry Kenneth
12. Stuart Duff
4. Derek McInnes
26. Greg Cameron
21. Collin Samuel
9. Lee Miller
Stefan Klos
Marvin Andrews
Federico Nieto
Hamed Namouchi
Ian Murray
Alan Lowing
Ross McCormack

Lee Miller for David Fernández (71)
Collin Samuel for Jim McIntyre (72)
Federico Nieto for Francis Jeffers (53)
Hamed Namouchi for Chris Burke (62)
Ross McCormack for Peter Lovenkrands (78)

Barry Robson (11)
Grant Brebner (55)
Sotirios Kyrgiakos (39)
Sotirios Kyrgiakos (90)

Red Cards
None. Sotirios Kyrgiakos (90)
Match Officials

Charlie Richmond (Referee)
John Gilmour & Martin Cryans (Assistants)
John Underhill (Fourth Official)

Match Report

A no score draw after a dramatic ninety minutes saw United extend their recent good league record against Rangers. A win and two draws against the Ibrox side proved crucial in the fight against relegation last season, and Arabs will be hoping that this battling point against the champions will kick-start the present campaign for a top six place.

Rangers too were desperate to improve on a disappointing start to the domestic season, and both managers tinkered with their starting formations. Gordon Chisholm moved Mark Wilson to the centre of midfield alongside Kerr and Brebner, with Canero taking over the vacant right wing-back slot. Alex Mcleish handed Brahim Hemdani his first start, and was clearly looking to go on the offensive from the outset with two attacking wide players – Lovenkrands and Burke – supporting a front two of Prso and Jeffers.

After a hectic opening five minutes, the first half was pretty much one way traffic towards Derek Stillie’s goal, increasing in intensity as the game progressed. With Burke already having missed a decent early chance, United enjoyed a real let-off on sixteen minutes when Stillie was caught in no man’s land, but Barry Ferguson’s net-bound header was cleared by Archibald from beneath his own crossbar. Another let-off followed soon after: Prso beat Ritchie on the right and his low cut-back was met by Lovenkrands just three yards out – but amazingly the Dane blasted over. Stillie scrambled a Prso shot/cross away from the line, and Jeffers spurned two further half chances as the visitors cranked up the pressure with half time approaching. The United keeper then enjoyed another lucky escape, waving a Ferguson free-kick wide only to see the ball rebound off the face of the post and back out into the box. Rangers had a penalty appeal turned down as Archibald seemed to pull Prso back with the striker attempting to connect with an in-swinging Burke cross. The big Croat – at the heart of much of the first half action – then almost connected with a Lovenkrands centre from the left.

Relief for the home fans came with the half time whistle – United lucky still to be in the game, and with a chance to regroup and rethink their strategy.

Both teams emerged for the second half with no changes to personnel or formation – but the game itself was turned on its head. United closed down and harried, and pushed players much further up the park. Immediately United started creating chances. Fernandez shot wide from twenty yards, then McIntyre volleyed straight at Waterreus from a similar distance. Just eight minutes into the second half Alex McLeish made his first change – Nieto for Jeffers – as the his side lost its grip on the match. Barry Robson had United’s first clear opportunity but his first time left foot shot was straight the Wattereus. The keeper then collected a low free-kick from the same player and McCracken’s header was also comfortably saved. Rangers still enjoyed a fair share of possession and territory but were struggling to create chances and players such as Burke and Prso faded from the game, well marshalled by the United defence. Lovenkrands volleyed over from sixteen yards, but Stillie was barely tested in the second half. Namouchi replaced Burke for the last half hour, and young Ross McCormack came on for Lovenkrands for the last fifteen minutes. United swapped Samuel and Miller for Fernandez and McIntyre with both sides searching for a winner. As the clock ticked away and the pressure grew, mistakes looked the most likely way for the dead-lock to be broken.

With eight minutes remaining United came within inches of taking the lead. Waterreus was caught way out of goal having raced from his box to head clear from Samuel. Robson coolly rounded the keeper, unleashed a sixteen yards shot – but it skimmed the head of the back-peddling Rodriguez, brushed the top of the bar and went over. Almost immediately Rangers came close to snatching victory when for the first time in the second half Prso had a clear sight at goal, Ritchie the hero for United as he cleared off the line. Kyrgiakos received his second yellow card as the game entered injury time – too late for it to have any effect on the outcome of a frenetic second half.

An excellent second period from United who might have snatched victory – but they can count themselves fortunate not to have been dead and buried by half time.

Squad Statistics (as at October 16th, 2005)

2005-06 All Time
Derek Stillie (GK)31 13 - 13 -
Alan Archibald27 13 - 1016
David McCracken24 1011406
Mark Wilson21 13 - 12611
Paul Ritchie30 9 - 40 -
Peter Canero24 6161
Barry Robson26 12 - 8611
Grant Brebner27 133535
Mark Kerr23 121844
David Fernández29 9292
Jim McIntyre33 12 - 14742
Collin Samuel (sub)24 91623
Lee Miller (sub)22 134134

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at October 16th, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.