Falkirk 1
Dundee Utd 3
League (SPL)


1 - 3

Dundee Utd

League (SPL)
Saturday, October 22nd, 2005
Falkirk Stadium. Att. 5,316
3:00 PM Kick-off

Darryl Duffy (3) Barry Robson (47)
Peter Canero (72)
Collin Samuel (81)

Team Managers
John Hughes Gordon Chisholm

Starting Eleven
Matt Glennon
Andy Lawrie
Kenny Milne
John Hughes
Tiago Jonas Rodrigues
Ryan McStay
Russell Latapy
Steven Thomson
Vitor Lima
Alan Gow
Darry Duffy
Derek Stillie .1
Alan Archibald .5
David McCracken .3
Mark Wilson .2
Paul Ritchie .23
Peter Canero .6
Barry Robson .11
Grant Brebner .8
Mark Kerr .7
David Fernández .20
Jim McIntyre .10

Allan Ferguson
John O'Neil
Neil Scally
Craig McPherson
Pedro Moutinho
Marc Twaddle
Ian McSween
Craig Samson .17
Garry Kenneth .18
Stuart Duff .12
Derek McInnes .4
Greg Cameron .26
Collin Samuel .21
Lee Miller .9

Neil Scally for Kenny Milne (60)
Craig McPherson for Ryan McStay (60)
Pedro Moutinho for Alan Gow (76)
Collin Samuel for David Fernández (68)
Lee Miller for Jim McIntyre (86)

Andy Lawrie (42)
Steven Thomson (54)
Tiago Jonas Rodrigues (79)
Barry Robson (34)
Paul Ritchie (66)
David McCracken (83)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Eddie Smith (Referee)
Steven Craven & Lawrence Kerrigan (Assistants)
Euan Norris (Fourth Official)

Match Report

United started well and looked assured in possession although it was obvious that Falkirk were going to be a dangerous proposition on the break. United threatened the Falkirk goal early and Canero played in David Fernandez on the right. The Spaniard’s cross was volleyed goalwards by Brebner and when the ball came back off the post with the keeper beaten, Jim McIntyre was off balance and shot wide. Jim claimed in vain for a corner but the ref just shook his head.

United then found themselves behind after 3 minutes; a long crossfield ball was not cleared allowing Russell Latapy to shoot. Although his shot was initially blocked, the ball ricocheted around in the box before Duffy blasted home from six yards. Much had been made of the questionable character of the United side and it was now going to be a test of the team’s mettle.

Mark Kerr was given a predictably unfriendly reception by the home fans and he soon called Glennon into action forcing a save from the keeper. Falkirk looked to hit United on the break and there were loud shouts for a penalty from the home fans as Duffy went down in the box when the United defence looked slow to react to his run.

United continued to dominate both possession and chances and Canero forced Glennon to tip the ball over with a good shot. United had the ball in the net when a Fernandez cross was bundled into the net at the far post by Brebner, but the far side linesman adjudged the midfielder to have been offside. David Fernandez shot over as United held total control of the game but they could not find that elusive goal that their play so deserved.

Mark Kerr almost silenced his critics on the half hour when a brilliant curling effort from the edge of the box was touched onto the bar and over by Glennon. Once again, United laid siege to the Falkirk goal but the ball just never seemed to fall kindly for anyone in a tangerine shirt in front of goal.

Barry Robson was booked for a clattering tackle on Lawrie, then the Bairns defender joined him on a yellow card for pulling the winger’s shirt.

As United’s total dominance continued, a looping header by Peter Canero beat the goalkeeper, then came off the inside of the post to be booted clear.

The second half started much in the same way but after 2 minutes United got that lucky break that had eluded them for the first 45 minutes. The head of Robson met a Brebner cross from the right and his header beat Glennon and struck the underside of the bar. When it looked like another chance had gone begging, the ball struck the goalkeeper and went into the net.

United continued to take the game to the home side and continued to dominate with Fernandez being supplied well by Jim McIntyre. Falkirk were well out of the game and tried to change things with a double substitution. They also continued their attempts to physically intimidate the United side with their play. United maintained the upper hand and Fernandez was played in by Kerr only to have Glennon save well.

As Gordon Chisholm decided to go for it, he replaced the hard working Fernandez with Collin Samuel and the ex-Falkirk man’s introduction didn’t take long to make an impact. He won a free kick on the right and Robson’s delivery was poorly dealt with by Glennon and his weak punch fell to Canero who volleyed home.

The rain, which had fallen for most of the second half, then seemed to dominate for a few minutes as both sides lost their footing.

Mark Kerr went off injured and while United were a man short, they added further to their lead. A Robson cross was knocked down by McIntyre into the path of Samuel who coolly chipped the ball over the goalkeeper and into the net.

United finally had the goals they deserved from their play. The game drew to a close with United continuing to dominate their opponents who by full time looked a tired and disheartened outfit as the tangerine shirts swarmed around them.

Squad Statistics (as at October 22nd, 2005)

2005-06 All Time
Derek Stillie (GK)31 14 - 14 -
Alan Archibald27 14 - 1026
David McCracken24 1111416
Mark Wilson21 14 - 12711
Paul Ritchie30 10 - 41 -
Peter Canero24 7272
Barry Robson26 1318712
Grant Brebner27 143545
Mark Kerr23 131854
David Fernández29 102102
Jim McIntyre33 13 - 14842
Collin Samuel (sub)24 102634
Lee Miller (sub)22 144144

League Table (as at October 22nd, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.