M'gladbach 2
Dundee Utd 0
UEFA Cup (2nd Round 1st Leg)


2 - 0

Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup (2nd Round 1st Leg)
Tuesday, October 20th, 1981
Bökelberg. Att. 31,000
7:30 PM Kick-off

Frank Schäffer (70)
Wilfried Hannes (86)

Team Managers
Jupp Heynckes Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Wolfgang Kleff
Wilfried Hannes
Frank Schäffer
Hans-Günter Bruns
Jürgen Fleer
Norbert Ringels
Uwe Rahn
Wolfram Wuttke
Frank Mill
Lothar Matthäus
Kurt Pinkall
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Iain Phillip
Frank Kopel
Paul Hegarty
Derek Murray
John Holt
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Davie Dodds

Ulrich Sude
Armin Veh
Bernd Schmider
Stefan Born
Peter Loontiens
John Gardiner
Richard Gough
Ian Gibson
John Reilly
Graeme Payne

Armin Veh for Uwe Rahn (70) None.

Wolfram Wuttke (40) Paul Hegarty (51)
Billy Kirkwood (63)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Nicolae Rainea (Romania) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

For their UEFA Cup second round tie, United headed to Germany for the 1st leg to face one of the top clubs in Europe who had reached five European finals over the past decade. With Paul Sturrock and Graeme Payne still struggling with injuries, manager Jim McLean stuck with the same starting eleven that picked up a point against Celtic at the weekend.

United sat back early on, allowing the confident Germans to build from deep in their own half, and in the 15th minute Hamish McAlpine easily held a Frank Schäffer header. A minute later Eamonn Bannon came to the rescue to clear from Jürgen Fleer as they looked to score. Uwe Rhan then collected a Joh Holt clearance to shoot wide before Frank Kopel blocked a Hans-Günter Bruns close range effort. Just before the break Frank Mill went down in the box after a tackle from Davie Dodds, but with the referee dismissing the claim, Wolfram Wuttke was booked for his protests.

After a fantastic defensive display in the first half, United nearly took the lead within a couple of minutes of the restart, with a Ralph Milne header from a Kopel cross going just past the post. A minute later Milne raced down the wing to set up Bannon, who was just inches away from beating the out-rushing keeper. United now looked the more likely to score, and Dodds flicked to Milne who's right foot shot was stopped by Kleff. However, with 20 minutes to go, Frank Schäffer rose to head a corner from the right past McAlpine. Then in the 87th minute another corner was met by the head of Wilfried Hannes to put the Germans two up.

United left themselves with an uphill battle after what had looked to be a very controlled and accomplished performance was ruined by a final twenty minutes in which two headed goals were enough to put United in a precarious position ahead of the second leg at Tannadice.

Squad Statistics (as at October 20th, 1981)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)33 18 - 4853
Derek Murray20 4 - 6 -
Frank Kopel32 14 - 40413
Paul Hegarty27 15 - 30849
Dave Narey25 17 - 35522
John Holt24 17316214
Iain Phillip30 17 - 1151
Eamonn Bannon23 19910526
Ralph Milne20 1637016
Billy Kirkwood23 15318543
Davie Dodds23 17613551

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at October 20th, 1981)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 8 7 1 0 +13 15
2. Aberdeen 8 5 1 2 +5 11
3. Rangers 7 3 3 1 +3 9
4. St Mirren 8 3 2 3 -1 8
5. Morton 8 4 0 4 -2 8
6. DUNDEE UTD 7 2 3 2 +4 7
7. Hibernian 8 2 3 3 +3 7
8. Airdrie 8 2 1 5 -11 5
9. Dundee 8 2 0 6 -7 4
10. Partick Th 8 1 2 5 -7 4

League results since United's last match