Winterslag 0
Dundee Utd 0
UEFA Cup (3rd Round 1st Leg)


0 - 0

Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup (3rd Round 1st Leg)
Tuesday, December 1st, 1981
Gemeentelijk Sportpark. Att. 9,500
7:30 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Mathieu Bollen Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Jean-Paul de Bruyne
Mathy Billen
Eric Van Lessen
Paul Lambrichts
Carlo Weis
Patrick Houben
Roger Albertsen
Luc Thijs
Pieter Denier
Karl Berger
Will Van Woerkum
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
Iain Phillip
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
John Holt
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds

Dani John Gardiner
Frank Kopel
Derek Murray
Ian Gibson
Graeme Payne

Matthieu Denier for Pieter Denier (76) Frank Kopel for Iain Phillip (79)

Paul Lambrichts (39) Eamonn Bannon (36)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Bruno Galler (Switzerland) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

United's preparations for this game were not ideal. Already suffering from the massive disappointment from the weekends League Cup final defeat, McLean had to quickly draft in John Gardiner after reserve keeper Andy Graham had to be sent home with jaundice as the team prepared to fly out from RAF Leuchars. Arriving in a waterlogged Genk, Winterslag's weekend match had been called off due to the rain, and United's training sessions were badly effected. With everyone expecting the match to be delayed 24 hours, the referee amazingly passed the pitch as playable. To make matters worse, a marching band took to the field before kick-off.

With Billy Kirkwood out through suspension, Richard Gough's introduction was the only change from Saturday. In the seventh minute, Eamonn Bannon brought out a save from Winterslag keeper de Bruyne, and the keeper had to react quickly to prevent Bannon scoring with a free-kick moments later. Gough should have done better from the corner, but scooped the ball over the bar. A Houben drive failed to trouble McAlpine as the game progressed into a string of fouls until half-time.

The best chance of that match fell to Gough on the hour mark, when Milne's cross was knocked inside by Bannon, but from only eight yards out, Gough struck a defender with the ball. As the players tired on the terrible pitch, Narey and Hegarty managed to keep Winterslag at bay, until McAlpine pulled off a marvellous save from Billen in the last minute.

Not one of United's most memorable performances, but a highly respectable result considering the appalling surface didn't help the quality of the game. After the match United put in an official protest to UEFA regarding the referees decision to go ahead with the game in such dreadful conditions.

Squad Statistics (as at December 1st, 1981)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)33 27 - 4943
Dave Narey25 27 - 36522
John Holt25 26317114
Iain Phillip30 24 - 1221
Richard Gough19 181221
Derek Stark23 16 - 1363
Paul Hegarty27 25131850
Ralph Milne20 2688021
Eamonn Bannon23 291211529
Paul Sturrock25 251530193
Davie Dodds23 27914554
Frank Kopel (sub)32 16 - 40613

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at December 1st, 1981)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 14 10 3 1 +17 23
2. Aberdeen 14 7 4 3 +6 18
3. DUNDEE UTD 13 6 4 3 +13 16
4. St Mirren 14 6 4 4 +4 16
5. Rangers 13 5 5 3 +3 15
6. Hibernian 14 3 6 5 +1 12
7. Morton 14 4 3 7 -10 11
8. Airdrie 14 3 4 7 -15 10
9. Dundee 14 4 1 9 -10 9
10. Partick Th 14 2 4 8 -9 8

League results since United's last match
28th November 1981
Hibernian0-0St Mirren
Partick Th0-2Celtic