Dundee Utd 5
Winterslag 0
UEFA Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)

Dundee Utd
5 - 0

UEFA Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, December 9th, 1981
Tannadice Park. Att. 16,232
7:30 PM Kick-off

Eamonn Bannon (24)
Dave Narey (33)
Paul Hegarty (36)
Ralph Milne (50)
Ralph Milne (70)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Mathieu Bollen

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
John Holt
Iain Phillip
Maurice Malpas
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock
Jean-Paul de Bruyne
Paul Lambrichts
Carlo Weis
Walter Vitali
Patrick Houben
Mathy Billen
Pieter Denier
Matthieu Denier
Luc Thijs
Roger Albertsen
Karl Berger

John Gardiner
Richard Gough
Derek Stark
Ian Gibson
John Reilly
Renaat de Zutter
Marco Vitali
Guido Davids
Danny Kaes

Ian Gibson for John Holt (46)
Marco Vitali for Luc Thijs (46)
Albertson for Luc Thijs (65)

None. Mathy Billen (40)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Vojtech Christov (Slovakia) (Referee)

Match Report

The conditions for the return leg against Winterslag in Dundee couldn't have been more contrasting from the rain soaked, mud-churned ones in Belgium, where United had held out comfortably for a goalless draw. Iain Phillip returned to the starting eleven, and after just two first team appearances, 19 year-old Maurice Malpas was given his European debut as the sides kicked off on a frozen Tannadice Park.

It was a slow start from United, taking eight minutes before they looked a serious threat. Paul Sturrock beat two men before hitting his shot over the bar. A Ralph Milne cross was then met by Paul Hegarty, who's header was held by de Bruyne. In the 17th minute, Malpas was close to scoring his first goal for the club, his first shot blocked and his follow up going narrowly past the post. The opening goal came after 24 minutes when a John Holt shot was blocked and Eamonn Bannon slammed in the rebound. Eight minutes later, Dave Narey advanced upfield to increase the lead, scoring with a header after his first shot spun up into the air after being blocked. His defensive team-mate Paul Hegarty made it three with a high floating header from a Paul Sturrock cross.

Both sides made changes at the interval, with United bringing on Ian Gibson for Holt. United continued to create chances with Sturrock coming close and Bannon forcing the keeper into a brilliant save from a header. Four minutes into the half, Ralph Milne met a Davie Dodds cross to head a fierce fourth goal. With the tie now dead and buried, Ralph Milne scored his second with twenty minutes remaining, leaving the keeper helpless as he converted an Iain Phillip cross. United's 5-0 victory was an historic occasion, as it eased them into the quarter-finals of a European tournament for the first time since their first European match in 1966.

Squad Statistics (as at December 9th, 1981)

1981-82 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)33 29 - 4963
Paul Hegarty27 27232051
Iain Phillip30 25 - 1231
John Holt25 28317314
Dave Narey25 29136723
Maurice Malpas19 3 - 3 -
Eamonn Bannon23 311411731
Ralph Milne20 28108223
Billy Kirkwood23 26519645
Paul Sturrock25 271530393
Davie Dodds23 29914754
Ian Gibson (sub)25 3 - 172

League Table (as at December 9th, 1981)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 15 11 3 1 +19 25
2. DUNDEE UTD 14 7 4 3 +14 18
3. St Mirren 15 7 4 4 +5 18
4. Aberdeen 15 7 4 4 +5 18
5. Rangers 14 5 6 3 +3 16
6. Morton 15 5 3 7 -9 13
7. Hibernian 15 3 6 6 0 12
8. Airdrie 15 3 5 7 -15 11
9. Dundee 15 4 1 10 -12 9
10. Partick Th 15 2 4 9 -10 8

League results since United's last match