Dundee 0
Dundee Utd 3
Scottish Cup (Quarter Final 2nd Replay)


0 - 3

Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup (Quarter Final 2nd Replay)
Monday, March 28th, 1988
Dens Park. Att. 19,152
7:30 PM Kick-off

None. Joe McLeod (26)
Ian Redford (pen.) (75)
Iain Ferguson (80)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Bobby Geddes
Stuart Forsyth
Vince Mennie
Rab Shannon
Jim Smith
Wes Saunders
Alan Lawrence
Stuart Rafferty
Keith Wright
Tommy Coyne
Ian Angus
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Ian Redford
Jim McInally
Eamonn Bannon
Joe McLeod
Dave Bowman
Mixu Paatelainen
Kevin Gallacher

Graham Harvey
Stephen Frail
John Clark
Iain Ferguson

Graham Harvey for Rab Shannon (31) Iain Ferguson for Mixu Paatelainen (64)
John Clark for Joe McLeod (84)

Alan Lawrence (20)
Jim Smith (39)
Ian Redford (51)
Dave Bowman (55)

Red Cards
Stuart Rafferty (89) None.

Match Officials

Jim McCluskey (Stewarton) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

This long drawn out saga finally came to a conclusion with another Dens Park triumph. Dundee had the advantage of a biting wind and slope in the first half. but it was we who threatened first when Kevin Gallacher got in a shot from an Eamonn Bannon pass. At the other end Tommy Coyne hit the side netting from a Lawrence cross. As play swung from end to end Geddes stretched to cut out an Eamonn Bannon and Keith Wright directed a header wide. In 26 minutes came the opening goal, fashioned by a touch of genius by Kevin Gallacher. Kevin picked the ball in midfield and his burst into the box left two defenders in his wake before sending a low cross in which Joe McLeod somehow managed to squeeze home at the far post. Three minutes later a Mennie cross found Tommy Coyne at the far post, but Billy Thomson blocked his header.

If the first half was fairly evenly contested, we dominated the second period. In the opening minute Mixu chased a loose ball into the box and his cross struck Jim Smith but appeals for handball were turned down. Both Ian Redford and substitute Ian Ferguson hit low drives which Geddes saved well as we maintained a stranglehold on proceedings. Kevin Gallacher did have the ball in the net in the 71st minute but lain Ferguson was ruled off-side. A goal was only temporarily delayed though. JoeMcLeod's persistence in the box was rewarded as he retained possession before being up ended. Ian Redford slammed the penalty high into the net after 75 minutes. Ian Redford sent Kevin Gallacher away and his shot struck the post as we began to run riot. Ten minutes from time, Iain Ferguson collected the ball before twisting and hammering in a glorious third goal. Tension exploded in the final minute after Stuart Rafferty was ordered off for aiming a kick at Kevin Gallacher, but the tie was well and truly over by then.

Squad Statistics (as at March 28th, 1988)

1987-88 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)30 42 - 156 -
Dave Narey31 44 - 70036
Maurice Malpas25 48233911
Paul Hegarty33 47264881
Dave Bowman24 43 - 81 -
Mixu Paatelainen21 216216
Jim McInally24 361873
Ian Redford27 32813429
Joe McLeod20 91111
Eamonn Bannon29 315431108
Kevin Gallacher21 32511324
John Clark (sub)23 32413019
Iain Ferguson (sub)25 43139441

League Table (as at March 28th, 1988)

No league table has been added for this season.