Raith Rovers 1
Dundee Utd 2
League Cup (3rd Round)

Raith Rovers 

1 - 2

Dundee Utd

League Cup (3rd Round)
Tuesday, August 25th, 1987
Starks Park. Att. 6,217
7:30 PM Kick-off

Colin Harris (pen.) (61) Paul Sturrock (35)
Maurice Malpas (69)

Team Managers
Frank Connor Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Eric Archibald
John McStay
Glenn Kerr
Alex Brash
Ian Gibson
Steve Simpson
Jim Marshall
Colin Harris
Gordon Dalziel
Ally McLeod
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Ian Redford
Billy Kirkwood
Ian McPhee
Paul Sturrock
Iain Ferguson
Kevin Gallacher

Andy Harrow
John Wright
John Clark
Eamonn Bannon

Andy Harrow for Gordon Dalziel (82) Eamonn Bannon for Ian Redford (70)

Alex Brash (71) Ian Redford

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

G Cummings (Carluke) (Referee)

Match Report

No cup-tie away from home is ever easy, irrespective of whether the opposition emanate from a lower division, and that is exactly how this tie turned out. For most of the first half we dominated play, but a well organised defence, which included former Tannadice favourite Hamish McAlpine, offered few clear-cut chances.

Billy Kirkwood, playing his first match of the season, saw a shot creep narrowly wide and Hamish made a great save from lan Redford. As half-time approached we stepped up the pressure and the Raith defence somehow survived an onslaught, which ended with Hamish McAlpine turning an Ian Redford shot round the post. Two minutes from the interval there was no such escape. John Halt jinked his way down the right before his searching cross to the far post was nodded down into the net by Paul Sturrock. Raith, however, served notice of still being in the game when Billy Thomson saved well from McLeod, right on the stroke of hall-time.

Although we began the second hall well, Raith gradually came more into things. !an Gibson went close from 30 yards and then a Marshall header was only just too high. The home pressure brought reward when a penalty was awarded for a push by John Holt on Colin Harris. The same player got up to convert the spot kick award in 61 minutes. It took us sometime to regain control and Ian McPhee struck the top of the bar. In 69 minutes a neat move down the left saw Maurice Malpas make progress along the edge of the box, before unleashing an unsavable shot via the far post. From then on we were in little danger of being taken into extra time by the plucky part-timers.

Squad Statistics (as at August 25th, 1987)

1987-88 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)29 6 - 120 -
Paul Hegarty33 6 - 60779
John Holt30 5 - 40224
Dave Narey31 6 - 66236
Maurice Malpas25 6129710
Ian McPhee26 2121
Billy Kirkwood28 1 - 39870
Ian Redford27 6210823
Paul Sturrock30 43549166
Iain Ferguson25 425530
Kevin Gallacher20 518620
Eamonn Bannon (sub)29 3 - 403103

League Table (as at August 25th, 1987)

No league table has been added for this season.