Dundee Utd 1
Vitkovice 2
UEFA Cup (2nd Round 1st Leg)

Dundee Utd
1 - 2

UEFA Cup (2nd Round 1st Leg)
Wednesday, October 21st, 1987
Tannadice Park. Att. 8,938
7:30 PM Kick-off

Iain Ferguson (24)
Miroslav Chmela (12)
Stanislav Dostal (78)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Ivan Kopechy

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Dave Narey
Eamonn Bannon
Dave Bowman
Paul Kinnaird
Ian McPhee
Iain Ferguson
Hamish French
Jaroslav Zapalka
Lubomir Vlk
Oldrich Skarecky
Miroslav Karas
Stanislav Dostal
Miroslav Kadlec
Zbynek Houska
Alois Grussmann
Miroslav Chmela
Ludek Kovacik
Jiri Bartl

John Clark
Paul Sturrock
Jindrich Ku

Paul Sturrock for Ian McPhee (55)
John Clark for Gary McGinnis (60)
Rostislav Jerabek for Ludek Kovacik (80)
Jiri Sourek for Zbynek Houska (83)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Ulf Eriksson (Sweden) (Referee)

Match Report

For the first time in many a long time, Tannadice fans were fed stale beer instead of sampling a sparkling vintage European night. Without doubt this was a below par performance by the Tangerines against an Iron Curtain side displaying a great deal more attacking enterprise than many from Eastern Europe. The Czechs started off very well and gained their reward in 13 minutes. Dostal rounded Maurice Malpas and curled over an inviting cross which was headed strongly past Billy Thomson by Chmela. The reversal stung us into action and Hamish French posed our first real threat, but his shot, though deflected, was well saved by Zapalka. We then had strong appeals for penalty turned down after Eamonn Bannon was tripped in the box by Bartl. Shortly afterwards we equalised. Paul Kinnaird over on the left sent in a cross which, despite the high bounce, was netted via the underside of the bar by Iain Ferguson's well controlled shot. The equaliser signalled a hectic spell of pressure round the Czech goal. Their 'keeper palmed away and Paul Hegarty shot, Dave Narey hit a shot which went only inches past and Maurice Malpas just failed to connect from close in.

In the second half the Czechs again opened well. Chemla almost scored a carbon-copy of his first half goal, but fortunately headed over. At the other end Paul Kinnaird hammered over a low cross which Paul Sturrock almost made contact with, but then came a devastating blow. Dostal, from a seemingly innocuous position, picked up a loose ball and cracked in a 30 yarder which deceived Billy Thomson and sneaked inside his left-hand post. Both lain Ferguson and Paul Kinnaird came close to equalising.

Squad Statistics (as at October 21st, 1987)

1987-88 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)29 19 - 133 -
Paul Hegarty33 19162080
Maurice Malpas25 19131010
Gary McGinnis24 8 - 601
Dave Narey31 19 - 67536
Eamonn Bannon29 12 - 412103
Dave Bowman23 15 - 53 -
Paul Kinnaird20 6 - 17 -
Ian McPhee26 101101
Iain Ferguson25 1666734
Hamish French23 3 - 3 -
John Clark (sub)23 8110616
Paul Sturrock (sub)31 127557170

League Table (as at October 21st, 1987)

No league table has been added for this season.