St Mirren 1
Dundee Utd 3
League Cup (3rd Round)

St Mirren 

1 - 3

Dundee Utd

League Cup (3rd Round)
Wednesday, August 24th, 1988
Love Street. Att. 5,970
7:30 PM Kick-off

Ian Campbell (67) Kevin Gallacher (44)
Mixu Paatelainen (71)
Raphael Meade (72)

Team Managers
Tony Fitzpatrick Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Les Fridge
Tommy Wilson
David Winnie
Tom Callaghan
Peter Godfrey
Neil Cooper
Ian Cameron
Brian Martin
Frank McGarvey
Mark McWalter
Paul Chalmers
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Dave Beaumont
Billy McKinlay
Dave Bowman
John Clark
Mixu Paatelainen
Ian Redford
J Alan Irvine
Kevin Gallacher

Norrie McWhirter
Paul Lambert
Alex Cleland
Raphael Meade

Norrie McWhirter for Callachan (72)
Paul Lambert for Frank McGarvey (77)
Raphael Meade for J Alan Irvine (40)

Tommy Wilson (52)
Neil Cooper (89)
John Clark (50)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Syme (Rutherglen) (Referee)

Match Report

This was the sixth time that we have met St. Mirren in the League Cup and we maintained our 100% record with this convincing win, our second of the season at Paisley. Apart from a twenty minute spell in the second half, the game was dominated by us.

The match started in bright late summer sunshine and Saints started in the mood of the weather with Martin trying a pot shot from 30 yards less than a minute from the kick-off. On seven minutes, Kevin Gallacher almost capitalised on a slip by Godfrey, but the danger was cleared by Cooper. A Billy McKinlay cross went tantalising across the face of the Saints goal and then Ian Redford was released by Kevin Gallacher, but again there was no takers for his hard hit ball into the middle. Billy Thomson was called into action for the first time when he had to dart from his box to hammer the ball away as McGarvey and Chalmers menacingly chased a long through ball. Alan Irvine had to limp off with a back injury two minutes before half-time, which saw Raphael Meade make his United debut. Within a minute the newcomer saw his colleagues take the lead with a superb goal. Maurice Malpas hit a first time ball out to Mixu Paatelainen out on the left, and the Finn's cross to the near post was met by Kevin Gallacher, whose glancing header entered the far corner leaving Fridge helpless.

After Mixu Paatelainen missed a good chance just after the interval, Saints began to enjoy their best spell. In 67 minutes Ian Cameron cut in from the left and fired in an equaliser from the edge of the penalty area. Two minutes later Paul Chalmers almost did likewise from the same spot, but this time Billy Thomson turned the ball round the post for a corner. Our reply was immediate and clinical. In the 71st minute, Billy McKinlay threaded the ball through to Kevin Gallacher who squared the ball for Mixu Paatelainen to turn the ball into the net from inside the six yard box. A minute later and the game was safe. Kevin Gallacher found Ian Redford free on the left and he turned the ball inside for Raphael Meade to score his first goal for the club via Saints' keeper Les Fridge. Before the end Fridge had to dive full length to turn an Ian Redford drive away to safety.

Squad Statistics (as at August 24th, 1988)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)30 4 - 168 -
Dave Beaumont24 2 - 993
Dave Narey32 4 - 71436
Maurice Malpas26 4 - 35411
John Clark23 4114121
Ian Redford28 4 - 14429
Billy McKinlay19 4 - 231
J Alan Irvine30 2 - 214
Dave Bowman24 4 - 941
Mixu Paatelainen21 433014
Kevin Gallacher21 4212428
Raphael Meade (sub)25 1111

League Table (as at August 24th, 1988)

No league table has been added for this season.