Rangers 2
Dundee Utd 2
Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)


2 - 2

Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)
Tuesday, March 21st, 1989
Ibrox. Att. 42,177
3:00 PM Kick-off

Kevin Drinkell (52)
Ally McCoist (68)
Kevin Gallacher (18)
Mixu Paatelainen (80)

Team Managers
Graeme Souness Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Chris Woods
Gary Stevens
Stuart Munro
Richard Gough
Mel Sterland
Terry Butcher
Kevin Drinkell
Ian Ferguson
Ally McCoist
Neale Cooper
Mark Walters
Billy Thomson
Gary McGinnis
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Mixu Paatelainen
Paul Sturrock
Kevin Gallacher

Ray Wilkins
Davie Cooper
Dave Bowman
J Alan Irvine

Ray Wilkins for Neale Cooper (46) J Alan Irvine for Paul Sturrock (71)
Dave Bowman for Miodrag Krivokapić (76)

Ian Ferguson (37) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

George Smith (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

Cup ties are made of this. All the ingredients were there in abundance. Good football; commitment; fluctuating fortunes all capped by four great goals.

The pattern was set when Ally McCoist clipped the outside of the post after winning the chase for a through ball. Then Sterland sent over a cross from which Gough's header was well saved by Billy Thomson. At the other end Chris Woods fluffed a cross but fortunately for him Mixu Paatelainen's went innocuously past. Then Ally McCoist snatched a shot wide. The first of four great goal's came in the 18th minute. Billy McKinlay squared the ball to Paul Sturrock who found Miodrag Krivokapic out on the right and his cross to the near post was crashed past Woods by Kevin Gallacher. It wasn't until near the end of the first half that Rangers threatened again, a Gary Stevens shot was deflected just past the post.

Rangers brought on Wilkins for Cooper at half-time and in 51 minutes equalised when Kevin Drinkell powerfully headed a Walters cross past Billy Thomson. Almost immediately we might have regained the lead. Paul Sturrock cut the ball back and Kevin Gallacher's shot was well saved by Woods. Four minutes later Kevin Gallacher saw a shot blocked, and appeals for hand ball were ignored. Wilkins had made a considerable difference to Rangers and he played a one-two with Munro, before cutting the ball back to Ally McCoist who rifled the ball into the far corner. A minute later the Rangers striker might well have sealed our fate but Billy Thomson made amends for his poor kick, which had given McCoist the scoring opportunity, by making a one handed save.

Paul Sturrock was replaced by Alan Irvine and the winger making his first appearance for some seven months was instrumental in setting up our equaliser. Kevin Gallacher played the ball back to Alan Irvine and his dash to the bye-line left Butcher trailing, and his cross was headed home by Mixu Paatelainen.

That ended the excitement for the evening and left you with the feeling that it was a shame that the weather had prevented the entire nation enjoying this soccer spectacular the previous Sunday.

Squad Statistics (as at March 21st, 1989)

1988-89 All Time
Billy Thomson (GK)31 40 - 204 -
Miodrag Krivokapić29 271271
Maurice Malpas26 41139112
Dave Narey32 37 - 74736
Gary McGinnis25 10 - 791
Paul Hegarty34 32 - 69081
Billy McKinlay19 321512
Mixu Paatelainen22 38166427
Jim McInally25 3211295
Paul Sturrock32 8 - 568170
Kevin Gallacher22 361115637
Dave Bowman (sub)25 3721273
J Alan Irvine (sub)30 3 - 224

League Table (as at March 21st, 1989)

No league table has been added for this season.