Dundee Utd 2
Aberdeen 3
Scottish Cup (3rd Round)

Dundee Utd
2 - 3

Scottish Cup (3rd Round)
Saturday, January 7th, 2006
Tannadice Park. Att. 8,218
3:00 PM Kick-off

David Fernández (26)
David Fernández (29)
Stevie Crawford (64)
Stevie Crawford (69)
Barry Nicholson (79)

Team Managers
Gordon Chisholm
Jimmy Calderwood

Starting Eleven
Derek Stillie
Alan Archibald
Charlie Mulgrew
David McCracken
Mark Wilson
Stuart Duff
Barry Robson
Mark Kerr
Collin Samuel
David Fernández
Jim McIntyre
Jamie Langfield
Kevin McNaughton
Danny Griffin
Russell Anderson
Richie Byrne
Jamie Smith
Barry Nicholson
Gary Dempsey
Chris Clark
Stevie Crawford
Steve Lovell

Craig Samson
Garry Kenneth
Derek McInnes
Grant Brebner
Lee Miller
Ryan Esson
Ricky Foster
Darren Mackie
Andrew Considine
John Stewart

Lee Miller for Stuart Duff (82)
Ricky Foster for Gary Dempsey (45)
Darren Mackie for Steve Lovell (59)
Andrew Considine for Stevie Crawford (85)

Mark Kerr
Barry Nicholson
Jamie Langfield

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Stuart Dougal (Referee)

Match Report

An unbelievable second half comeback by Aberdeen knocked United out of the Cup at the first hurdle. In a game completely dominated by United for the first hour, they had a comfortable two-goal lead at half time thanks to two David Fernandez efforts. But after Collin Samuel missed a header that should have put the game beyond the visitors, the fight back started. Two goals from Crawford and the winner from Barry Nicholson stole the tie for Aberdeen.

Gordon Chisholm handed a debut to on-loan Celt, Charles Mulgrew, who replaced the suspended Paul Ritchie. Also starting were the doubtful Collin Samuel and despite mounting speculation, Mark Wilson. Fellow injury concern Grant Brebner only managed a place on the bench. Aberdeen had two former United men in their line-up in the shape of Stevie Crawford and debutant Danny Griffin.

In a first half with chances a plenty, the visitors should have had the lead after 15 minutes. A Crawford shot was mishandled by Stillie but the United keeper made up for his error with a point blank save from Nicholson. The rebound fell to McNaughton who should have scored but he smashed the ball over. Ten minutes later the game was turned on its head. Samuel played in a great low cross and David Fernandez bravely headed home. A minute later the same two combined with Samuel playing in his strike partner and the Spaniard rolled the ball past the oncoming Langfield. It was so close to a first half hat-trick on the stroke of half time but an excellent free kick was superbly saved by the Dons keeper.

The second half started with a series of corners for the visitors but on the hour mark United should have put the game beyond Aberdeen. A Wilson free kick picked out Fernandez who saw his shot deflected for a corner. The corner was played short to Stuart Duff who picked out Samuel but the United forward headed wide from six yards. A minute later the tie was alive again when a mistake from Stillie was pounced on by Crawford and the former United man could not fail to score. Seven minutes later the game was level when Byrne picked out Crawford again and he made it 2-2. With both teams pressing for the winner it was the visitors who booked their place in the next round with ten minutes left. Crawford and Foster combined well to set up Barry Nicholson who slotted the ball past the helpless Stillie.

Squad Statistics (as at January 7th, 2006)

2005-06 All Time
Derek Stillie (GK)32 25 - 25 -
Alan Archibald28 25 - 1136
Charlie Mulgrew19 1 - 1 -
David McCracken24 2111516
Mark Wilson21 25 - 13811
Stuart Duff23 17 - 1163
Barry Robson27 2429813
Mark Kerr23 241964
Collin Samuel24 216748
David Fernández29 184184
Jim McIntyre33 23115843
Lee Miller (sub)22 255255

League Table (as at January 7th, 2006)

No league table has been added for this season.