Dundee Utd 3
Livingston 1
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
3 - 1

League (SPL)
Saturday, March 11th, 2006
Tannadice Park. Att. 5,730
3:00 PM Kick-off

Lee Miller (68)
Mark Kerr (77)
Lee Miller (80)
Sam Morrow (17)

Team Managers
Craig Brewster
John Robertson

Starting Eleven
1. Derek Stillie
18. Garry Kenneth
15. Lee Mair
3. David McCracken
25. David Robertson
7. Mark Kerr
4. Derek McInnes
11. Barry Robson
9. Lee Miller
21. Collin Samuel
20. David Fernández
Roddy McKenzie
David McNamee
Emmanuel Dorado
Greg Strong
Dave Mackay
Richard Brittain
Derek Adams
Wes Hoolahan
Allan Walker
Graham Dorrans
Sam Morrow

17. Craig Samson
12. Stuart Duff
30. Willie Easton
5. Alan Archibald
28. Ross Gardiner
29. Stuart Abbot
36. David Goodwillie
Ludovic Roy
Paul Tierney
Noel Whelan
Gabor Vincze
Robert Snodgrass
Steve Hislop
(No 7th sub named)

David Goodwillie for Collin Samuel (87)
Paul Tierney for Allan Walker (52)
Noel Whelan for Wes Hoolahan (58)
Gabor Vincze for Graham Dorrans (66)

None. David McNamee
Gabor Vincze

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Craig Thomson (Referee)

Match Report

Craig Brewster rang the changes for the home game against Livingston following the defeat at Easter Road last weekend. Derek Stillie reclaimed his place between the posts and there was also a return to the starting eleven for Derek McInnes, David Robertson and Collin Samuel. Missing out was the injured Grant Brebner with Alan Archibald and Stuart Duff dropping to the bench. New Livi signing Noel Whelan was listed as a substitute.

In the first minute of the match Livingston forced a corner which resulted in a confidence-boosting take by the returning Stillie. Fernandez was then fouled by McNamee to give United a free kick in a dangerous position. Barry Robson’s cross was just too long for Kenneth. Former Livi man Fernandez then gathered the ball in the centre circle but his run and shot did not cause Roddy McKenzie any problems. It was Livi though who were looking the more likely and McNamee set up Morrow who sent in a fine cross which Lee Mair did well to intercept. Dave MacKay then burst into the United penalty area but Derek McIness halted his efforts with an excellent tackle. On the tenth minute mark, there was a chance at both ends. Mair seemed to hesitate in the United box and Walker pounced on the ball to set up Morrow who narrowly shot wide. United went straight up the park and Fernandez sent in a cross which found the head of Miller but his effort was tipped over by McKenzie. Robson’s corner seemed to be perfect for Collin Samuel but the Trinidad international slipped before managing to shoot and the ball was cleared. Seven minutes later, Livi deservedly took the lead. McKenzie’s long clearance bounced up between Sam Morrow and Robson and the Livi man won the challenge twenty yards from goal. His powerful shot beat Stillie low to the keepers’ right. Referee Thomson made his first caution of the afternoon after twenty minutes when McNamee fouled McCracken and then booted the ball away in protest. The lead could have been doubled a minute later when Walker won the ball from Robson but his shot just missed. Robson then made up for his mistake when McNamee put in a great cross to the United box but the former Inverness man showed good composure to control the ball and clear. On the half hour mark there was an incident that arguably caused the biggest talking point of the afternoon. McCracken lost the ball to Walker on the half way line and his pass picked out Morrow. With the ex-Hibs man homing in on goal he went down after a challenge from Garry Kenneth but the referee waved play on. Livi boss John Robertson disputed the decision and, after his protests, he was sent to the stand by referee Thomson. A minute later United almost levelled but, after a Kerr cross, David Robertson was denied by a brilliant finger tip save by the in-form McKenzie. Lee Miller was beginning to look the part and with ten minutes of the half remaining he went in bravely but his header was dealt with by McKenzie. There was then a heart in mouth moment for the United support when there was a mix-up between Kenneth and Stillie at the edge of the area but, fortunately for United, the big centre half just managed to clear.

Neither manager made any changes for the start of the second half. Walker was the first to impress for Livi when he set up Hoolahan but he mis-contolled his cut back. John Robertson then made the first change of the day when Paul Tierney came on in place of Walker. United then made their first chance of the half, when following a foul on Fernandez, Derek McInnes picked out Garry Kenneth in the penalty area but his header just failed to find Lee Miller. Just before the hour Whelan came on to make his debut in place of Wes Hoolahan. Mark Kerr then made a mistake at the edge of his own box and Whelan almost made a dream start but his shot was too weak to find the net. Kerr tried to make amends when he played a nice pass to Robertson but the youngster seemed to be harshly judged offside. Livi then made their third and final change of the afternoon when Gabor Vincze replaced Graham Dorrans. With twenty minutes left United got the goal that their fans craved. The ball was played into the Livi area and after a tussle with Greg Strong, United’s Lee Miller smashed the ball home low past McKenzie. The goal seemed to boost the home side and it was now United who looked more like taking all three points. With thirteen minutes left the comeback was complete when Mark Kerr won the ball in a scrap at the edge of the area. The ball sat up nicely for the United midfielder and his right footed power drive gave McKenzie no chance at all. Three minutes later, much to Craig Brewster’s relief, the points were safe. Fernandez played in Lee Miller and he flicked the ball over the defender’s head. As McKenzie rushed out to narrow the angle the United man flicked the ball high into the net to give him his second of the afternoon. United were now playing with an air of confidence and with a few minutes left they made their first and only change of the day when David Goowillie, who had been given a special award before the game for his exploits against Hibs, came on to replace Collin Samuel who had worked hard on his return to the starting eleven. Livi were now looking for a consolation and they were close to pulling one back when Brittain played a pass to Whelan but just as he was about to shoot the linesman flagged for offside. Substitute Vincze then showed his frustration when he was cautioned for a late tackle on McInnes. United sub Goodwillie then went close to scoring his second in as many games when he latched on to a ball and tried a mazy run in the Livi penalty area but eventually his shot failed to find the net. The youngster was again involved in the dying seconds when a Robson pass set him up but the ball got tangled between his feet and the ball was cleared. The final whistle was greeted with a sense of relief from the home fans and gave Craig Brewster a much needed three points.

Squad Statistics (as at March 11th, 2006)

2005-06 All Time
Derek Stillie (GK)32 32 - 32 -
David McCracken24 2911596
Garry Kenneth18 91231
Lee Mair25 4 - 11 -
Barry Robson27 30210413
Mark Kerr24 3321055
David Robertson19 5 - 5 -
Derek McInnes34 111813
Collin Samuel24 306838
David Fernández30 277277
Lee Miller22 348348
David Goodwillie (sub)16 6161

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at March 11th, 2006)

No league table has been added for this season.