Arbroath 0
Dundee Utd 2


0 - 2

Dundee Utd

Tuesday, July 31st, 2007
Gayfield Park. Att. 647
7:30 PM Kick-off

None. David Robertson (27)
Johnny Russell (42)

Team Managers
John McGlashan Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Robbie Raeside
Alan Campbell
Euan McLean
Gordon Pope
David Proctor
Willie Easton
David Robertson
Willo Flood
Ryan McCord
Marco Andreoni
Johnny Russell
Ryan Dow

John Gibson
Sean Fleming
Ross McCord
Scott Paterson
Scott Mathieson

Bishop for Robbie Raeside (50)
Tweedie for Masson (58)
Webster for Hegarty (85)
Stott for Black (88)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Neil Watters (Referee)

Match Report

United played the first half with a strong wind at their backs and early on went close when a fine run and pass from Flood led to Johnny Russell firing in a shot that David Currie tipped on to the top of the crossbar and out for a corner. With ten minutes on the clock the referee issued the first yellow card of the night when Scott was booked for Arbroath for a clumsy challenge on United’s Gordon Pope. Four minutes later United were undone by the woodwork again. This time Ryan McCord blasted in a 25 yard effort that was very unlucky to hit the underside of the crossbar. The ball rebounded into the danger area but the home side cleared to safety. The wind was causing the hosts a few problems and with 24 minutes on the clock the home goalkeeper was almost caught out by a high looping effort from Pope. Three minutes later United took a deserved lead. After good work on the left, Willie Easton swung in a fine cross that was flicked on and from close range David Robertson finished easily. United were now looking the more likely and next to try his luck was loan signing Willo Flood who saw his effort well held by Currie. David Proctor was looking to impress following his return from Airdrie United and after a fine run and cross from Hegarty the former Inverness man superbly intercepted and cleared for corner. The corner was cleared to Hegarty again but this time the United defence charged down his effort. With three minutes left of the half United doubled their advantage. Flood won a corner that he took himself. The Irishman picked out young Johnny Russell in the penalty area and despite a challenge fron Currie the United man headed home.

It was now the turn of the home side to have the advantage of the wind and within a minute of the restart Euan McLean made a fine save for United from a shot from Stuart MacKay. Scott was next to go close to halving United’s lead when he ran half the length of the pitch but the Arbroath man blasted over from the edge of the area. The home side then made the first change of the night when Bishop replaced the experienced Robbie Raeside. The hosts then won a free kick in a dangerous position that was swung in by Sellars. After a mad scramble in the area McLean again did well to prevent the home side scoring. On the 55 minute mark, McLean made his best save of the night when he blocked a shot from close range from Barry Sellars. A minute later Sellars again tested McLean but the big United goalkeeper saved well down to his right. United were offering very little in attack but after an hour they played some great football down the right hand side but just before Ryan Dow went to shoot Alan Campbell blocked and thwarted the visitors. Rennie was then booked for a shocking challenge on David Robertson. Arbroath should have had a goal moments later when Scott was left with only the goalkeeper to beat but he fired wide. United’s Ryan McCord impressed in the midfield for United and with seven minutes left on the clock he threaded a pass through to Russell but the goalkeeper saved well.

Squad Statistics (as at July 31st, 2007)

2007-08 All Time

League Table (as at July 31st, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.