Dundee Utd 0
Celtic 3
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
0 - 3

League (SPL)
Sunday, October 3rd, 2004
Tannadice Park. Att. 10,329
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Chris Sutton (9)
Stilian Petrov (17)
Chris Sutton (pen.) (37)

Team Managers
Ian McCall
Martin O'Neill

Starting Eleven
24. Paul Jarvie
3. David McCracken
12. Stuart Duff
5. Alan Archibald
2. Mark Wilson
25. Chris Innes
8. Grant Brebner
11. Barry Robson
16. James Grady
10. Jim McIntyre
14. Billy Dodds
David Marshall
Stan Varga
Bobo Balde
Joos Valgaeren
Didier Agathe
Neil Lennon
Stilian Petrov
Henri Camara
Chris Sutton
John Hartson

17. Lars Hirschfeld
34. Ross Gardiner
7. Mark Kerr
21. Karim Kerkar
29. Barry Callaghan
4. Derek McInnes
20. Jason Scotland
Magnus Hedman
Ulrik Laursen
Momo Sylla
Aiden McGeady
Scott Cuthbert
Ross Wallace
Paul Lambert

Derek McInnes for David McCracken (45)
Mark Kerr for Grant Brebner (61)
Karim Kerkar for Billy Dodds (68)
Ulrik Laursen for Joos Valgaeren (37)
Ross Wallace for John Hartson (74)
Paul Lambert for Henri Camara (77)

Derek McInnes (77)
Neil Lennon (72)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Hugh Dallas (Referee)
Jim Lyon & George Drummond (Assistants)
Willie Young (Fourth Official)

Match Report

After managing to halt the slide to some extent in the second half at Rugby Park last week, Dundee United boss Ian McCall changed the face of his starting line-up. Paul Jarvie came in for his first competitive start for the club, in place of Lars Hirschfeld. The United manager kept faith in a back three, with Alan Archibald moving inside to accompany Chris Innes and David McCracken, and Barry Robson coming in to fill the left wing-back slot, and Stuart Duff on the right. In the midfield, Grant Brebner and Mark Wilson were accompanied by the recalled Billy Dodds, and James Grady was also recalled to partner Jim McIntyre up front for the Tangerines. After resuming full training during the week, Karim Kerkar was given a place on the bench.

The hosts, looking for some bouncebackability after the recent defeats to Motherwell and Kilmarnock, seemed quicker out the traps than the visitors, and in the second minute, Innes’s deep pass found Grady. The striker ran at Balde, whose hand appeared to make contact with the ball as he got a tackle in. Despite appeals for handball against the Celtic defender, referee Dallas awarded a corner for United. Four minutes later, Barry Robson came close with a free kick from 28 yards which curled narrowly wide after McIntyre had been fouled by Valgaeren. Despite the bright opening, however, the United defence were quick to feel the impact of Celtic’s creative side, and the visitors opened the scoring from their first corner in the ninth minute. Stilian Petrov took the corner from the right, and Chris Sutton was unmarked ten yards out to steer his header across the face of goal and low into corner. Celtic were quick to break, and Camara showed great awareness to time his pass behind the defence to meet Stilian Petrov’s run, and the Bulgarian fired his shot firmly into the far corner. The home side, and indeed virtually the entire East Stand were vociferously appealing for a penalty again shortly after the restart, when Stuart Duff’s run into the box was halted by Joos Valgaeren, but Dallas again ruled that the defender had played the ball, and awarded a corner to the Tangerines. On the half hour, Camara’s run took him into the area, where he squared for Hartson, but Jarvie did excellently to block with his legs from close range. Varga was next to try his luck with a powerful effort from the edge of the area which sailed over the bar. The pressure was relentless, however, and the speed of counter attacking from the Bhoys was exceptional. In the 36th minute, Camara collected the ball and ran clear of the defence. The forward managed to touch the ball away just before Jarvie came to challenge, and the goalkeeper conceded the penalty, which Chris Sutton tucked away into the bottom corner.
Derek McInnes was introduced in place of David McCracken at half time, and United switched to a back four, Duff moving to left back, and Wilson moving to the right back berth. The change in system appeared to have some effect in stifling Celtic, and Barry Robson’s movement from the left flank gave him the chance to get the ball to feet on a more regular basis. In the 50th minute, Robson had a run and shot from the edge of the area, but the effort went over the bar. On the hour mark, the United winger again ventured on a mazy run, but a defender blocked the effort, and the ball rebounded back off the United man and out for a goal kick. The rest of the second half passed without much in the way of a notable incident, other than two more substitutions for each side, although substitutes Karim Kerkar and Ross Wallace showed some good individual skill on the ball for United and Celtic respectively after coming on. The yellow card was only shown twice in the match, with one booking for either side. Neil Lennon was first to be cautioned, after an off the ball tangle with Derek McInnes, who was then also booked four minutes later for persistent fouling.

Written by Scott Simpson

Squad Statistics (as at October 3rd, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Paul Jarvie (GK)22 1 - 2 -
Stuart Duff22 7 - 74 -
David McCracken22 10 - 1093
Mark Wilson20 102776
Chris Innes28 102413
Alan Archibald26 102514
Barry Robson25 101394
Grant Brebner26 6161
Jim McIntyre32 10410330
Billy Dodds35 9211641
James Grady33 7272
Karim Kerkar (sub)27 1 - 1 -
Mark Kerr (sub)22 91442
Derek McInnes (sub)33 8 - 452

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at October 3rd, 2004)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 8 7 1 0 +16 22
2. Rangers 8 5 2 1 +11 17
3. Motherwell 8 4 2 2 +3 14
4. Aberdeen 8 3 4 1 +3 13
5. Hearts 8 3 3 2 +2 12
6. Hibernian 8 3 3 2 -1 12
7. Kilmarnock 8 4 0 4 -1 12
8. Dundee 8 1 3 4 -6 6
9. Livingston 8 1 3 4 -6 6
10. Dunfermline 8 1 3 4 -6 6
11. DUNDEE UTD 8 1 3 4 -8 6
12. Inverness CT 8 1 1 6 -7 4

League results since United's last match
26th September 2004
2nd October 2004
3rd October 2004
Dundee Utd0-3Celtic
Inverness CT1-1Motherwell