Dundee Utd 3
Meadowbank 1
Scottish Cup (3rd Round)

Dundee Utd
3 - 1

Scottish Cup (3rd Round)
Saturday, January 9th, 1993
Tannadice Park. Att. 5,263
3:00 PM Kick-off

Billy McKinlay (37)
Brian Welsh (60)
Duncan Ferguson (62)
Scott Crabbe (missed pen.) (70)
Paul Rutherford (5)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Donald Park

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Mark Perry
Brian Welsh
Jim McInally
Andy McLaren
John O'Neil
Billy McKinlay
Duncan Ferguson
Scott Crabbe
Steven Ellison
Malcolm Murray
Stuart Elder
Stewart Williamson
Gordon Rae
Alan Banks
Ian Little
Stuart Wilson
Paul Rutherford
Gordon McLeod
Lee Bailey

Alex Cleland
Paddy Connolly
Malcolm Coyle
Dave Roseburgh

Alex Cleland for Andy McLaren (55)
Paddy Connolly for Scott Crabbe (79)
Malcolm Coyle for Lee Bailey (59)
Dave Roseburgh for Stuart Elder (67)

None. Gordon McLeod (41)
Alan Banks (70)
Stewart Williamson (73)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Mike Pocock (Aberdeen) (Referee)

Match Report

For the first ever competitive meeting between United and Meadowbank, Skipper Maurice Malpas returned to duty after injury, but Miodrag Krivokapic was unavailable due to a groin strain. Meetings with any side from a lower division, even one struggling at the foot of the First Division are never easy and any thoughts of a trouble free passage were quickly dispelled when the visitors took a 5th minute lead. There was an element of luck in the creation of the goal as Jim McInally's clearance was diverted back upfield, dropping into the path of Paul Rutherford. Alan Main made a partial stop from the former Falkirk striker's shot, but couldn't prevent the ball from rolling over the line. Only a spectacular goal-line clearance from Williamson five minutes later prevented us equalising after Jim McInally had met Andy McLaren's cross at the far post. The visitors still posed a threat at the other end though and it took a late intervention by Billy McKinlay to deny Rutherford a second in the 22nd minute. It wasn't until the 37th minute that we finally broke Meadowbank's stubborn resistance. John O'Neil's cross from the left was headed back and Billy McKinlay steered a low volley into the far corner from 15 yards.

As at the start, Meadowbank had opened well in the second period, but two goals in almost as many minutes were to swing the tie in our favour. In 59 minutes a John O'Neil free-kick was swept home by Brian Welsh from the edge of the penalty box. Almost immediately, Wilson fired a loose ball over the United bar and with it went any lingering hopes of the men from the capital, because within seconds they found themselves two goals in arrears. Scott Crabbe did the spadework with a run down the right and when his cross arrived in the middle Duncan Ferguson sent a header looping into the far corner. We missed a great chance to increase our lead when John O'Neil was brought down in the box by Wilson with twenty minutes remaining. Scott Crabbe stepped up to take the kick, but Ellison guessed right and beat away his first penalty for the first team. However, the miss had no bearing on the final outcome which was more comfortable than deserved or had looked possible at one stage.

Squad Statistics (as at January 9th, 1993)

1992-93 All Time
Alan Main (GK)25 28 - 133 -
Maurice Malpas30 26 - 56519
Brian Welsh23 112565
Mark Perry21 5151
Freddy van der Hoorn29 28 - 1615
Jim McInally28 26329018
John O'Neil21 233675
Andy McLaren19 6 - 22 -
Billy McKinlay23 1931698
Scott Crabbe24 8282
Duncan Ferguson21 22117731
Alex Cleland (sub)22 20 - 1118
Paddy Connolly (sub)22 2787218

League Table (as at January 9th, 1993)

No league table has been added for this season.