Dundee Utd 2
Hibernian 1 (AET)
League Cup (Quarter Final)

Dundee Utd
2 - 1

League Cup (Quarter Final)
Tuesday, November 9th, 2004
Tannadice Park. Att. 4,865
7:45 PM Kick-off

Jim McIntyre (87)
Jim McIntyre (107)
Derek Riordan (31)

Team Managers
Ian McCall
Tony Mowbray

Starting Eleven
Paul Jarvie
Chris Innes
Mark Wilson
Paul Ritchie
Alan Archibald
Barry Robson
Derek McInnes
Grant Brebner
Jason Scotland
Jim McIntyre
Collin Samuel
Simon Brown
Steven Whittaker
Gary Caldwell
Colin Murdock
Ian Murray
Dean Shiels
Craig Rocastle
Guillaume Beuzelin
Stephen Glass
Derek Riordan
Sam Morrow

Lars Hirschfeld
David McCracken
Mark Kerr
James Grady
Billy Dodds
Alister Brown
Gary Smith
Steven Fletcher
Stephen Dobbie
Jay Shields

James Grady for Jason Scotland (65)
Billy Dodds for Collin Samuel (70)
David McCracken for Grant Brebner (82)
Steven Fletcher for Sam Morrow (18)
Stephen Dobbie for Riordan (82)
Jay Shields for Dean Shiels (86)

Barry Robson
Jason Scotland
Paul Ritchie
Derek McInnes
Jay Shields

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

John Rowbotham (Referee)
Gordon Middleton & Brian McGarry (Assistants)
Kevin Toner (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Ian McCall was forced to make one change to his side that lost in such dramatic fashion at Dens. Karim Kerkar, who had played for Clyde in a previous round, was ineligible and therefore striker Jim McIntyre came back into the side to partner Jason Scotland in attack. The United bench looked very strong with veterans Billy Dodds and James Grady waiting in the wings. Last season’s beaten finalists Hibs were looking to progress in order to go one better than last year.

The first piece of action took place after only two minutes when Collin Samuel, who was playing in midfield on the night, collected the ball inside the Hibs half and unleashed a shot that went well wide off goal. A long ball over the top of the United defence was then gathered by the impressive Riordan who was subsequently fouled by United’s Paul Ritchie. Riordan’s free kick that followed was headed over the crossbar by Colin Murdock, who was then spoken to by the referee for appealing for a corner kick. It was then Stephen Glass who tried his luck but his direct free kick was too high. On the half hour mark, Hibs took the lead. Dean Shiels’s perfectly weighted pass was driven home by the right foot of Derek Riordan that left Jarvie with no chance. Within five minutes United had a great chance to equalise. The two Trinidadians linked up with Samuel laying on a fine ball to Scotland who miss-hit his shot wide off the post.

United came out in the second half shooting towards the East Stand looking to get themselves back into the tie. Barry Robson was a constant threat to the visitors and tried hard to break down the defence. With 20 minutes remaining Ian McCall threw on Billy Dodds for the tiring Collin Samuel. Hibs were next to create a chance when they forced a free kick on the edge of the United penalty area after Paul Ritchie had fouled Rocastle. DerekMcInnes was booked by the referee for charging from the wall before the kick was taken. United however cleared the ball from the danger area. Tony Mowbray then surprisingly took off Riordan who was replaced by Stephen Dobbie. After intense pressure United eventually forced themselves back into the tie. Mark Wilson’s free kick with three minutes left found Chris Innes in a great position. His shot was sliced but the ball landed at the feet of Jim McIntyre who scored to square the match.

The first period of extra time was played with very few talking points with both teams looking slightly apprehensive. Hibs did try several long-range efforts through Glass, Dobbie and Murray. Frenchman Beuzelin also went close for Tony Mowbray’s side. The second period of extra time was a different story and after only two minutes of the restart United were ahead. A great ball from Archibald found Billy Dodds on the left hand side of the Hibs penalty box and from his cross Jim McIntyre scored from close range. Hibs then mounted a challenge to get themselves back into the tie and Stephen Dobbie came within an inch of levelling when his drive had Jarvie beaten but the shot cleared the far post. Just before the whistle Caldwell squandered a great chance to set up a nerve-wracking penalty shoot out, but it was to be United’s night and in the end deservedly so.

Squad Statistics (as at November 9th, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Paul Jarvie (GK)22 7 - 8 -
Alan Archibald26 162574
Paul Ritchie29 3 - 3 -
Mark Wilson20 164838
Chris Innes28 162473
Derek McInnes33 14 - 512
Barry Robson26 162455
Grant Brebner26 121121
Jason Scotland25 13 - 365
Collin Samuel23 9 - 382
Jim McIntyre32 15610832
David McCracken (sub)23 16 - 1153
Billy Dodds (sub)35 13212041
James Grady (sub)33 132132

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at November 9th, 2004)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 13 11 1 1 +22 34
2. Rangers 13 9 3 1 +22 30
3. Hearts 13 6 4 3 +4 22
4. Aberdeen 13 6 4 3 +1 22
5. Hibernian 13 6 3 4 0 21
6. Kilmarnock 13 6 1 6 -1 19
7. Motherwell 13 4 2 7 -3 14
8. Dunfermline 13 3 4 6 -7 13
9. Inverness CT 13 3 3 7 -6 12
10. Dundee 13 3 3 7 -8 12
11. Livingston 13 2 3 8 -12 9
12. DUNDEE UTD 13 1 5 7 -12 8

League results since United's last match
7th November 2004