Dunfermline 1
Dundee Utd 1
League (SPL)


1 - 1

Dundee Utd

League (SPL)
Saturday, January 22nd, 2005
East End Park. Att. 6,512
3:00 PM Kick-off

Jesper Christiansen (44) Stevie Crawford (72)

Team Managers
David Hay Ian McCall

Starting Eleven
Derek Stillie
Aaron Labonte
Andrius Skerla
Andy Tod
Scott Thomson
Barry Nicholson
Gary Mason
Lee Makel
Gary Dempsey
Noel Hunt
Jesper Christiansen
Tony Bullock .1
Alan Archibald .5
Lee Mair .15
Mark Wilson .2
Paul Ritchie .23
Barry Robson .11
Derek McInnes .4
Grant Brebner .8
Mark Kerr .7
Jim McIntyre .10
Stevie Crawford .19

Jamie Langfield
Darren Young
Iain Campbell
Billy Mehmet
Pat Scullion
John Dunn
Greg Ross
Paul Jarvie .24
David McCracken .3
David Robertson .33
Greg Cameron .36
James Grady .16
Billy Dodds .14
Jason Scotland .20

Billy Mehmet for Noel Hunt (76) David McCracken for Grant Brebner (45)
James Grady for Derek McInnes (64)

Noel Hunt (35)
Derek Stillie (73)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Craig Thomson (Referee)
Alan Cunningham & Neil Brand (Assistants)
Stephen Finnie (Fourth Official)

Match Report

The game started brightly for United with Ian McCall’s team taking the game straight to Dunfermline. Within the first minute, a Mark Wilson cross had been headed goalwards by McIntyre bringing a decent save out of Stillie.

The home side soon decided that their open hospitality towards United should stop and they too began to carve out a few openings. A Scott Thomson free kick was bravely charged down buy Derek McInnes and Andy Tod sent a header wide as the Pars picked up their play.

United still looked a threat on the counter attack and a cross from McIntyre was flicked on by the head of Robson and fell just wide of Stillie’s right hand post.

United should, however, have gone behind in 7 minutes when Mason hit a post having beaten Bullock in the United goal. The Danish striker Christiansen was causing all sorts of problems for the United defence with his directness and strength and he forced Paul Ritchie into a good defensive header to clear. Tony Bullock was having a sound game in the United goal and he was again called into action to gather a Nicholson cross which he held on to at the second attempt. Nicholson then once again threatened the United goal with a shot that gave Jason Scotland a fright as he warmed up behind the goal.

All was not lost for United and, as Stevie Crawford played a McIntyre knock-down to Robson, the winger again brought a good save out of Stillie. Mark Kerr was next to test the Pars keeper with a shot that was beaten away.

A real moment of controversy saw Hunt booked for a blatant dive when he was challenged by Mair in the box but the Pars striker still had the Arab boos ringing in his ears when he brought an excellent save from Bullock when he sent a dipping shot just under the bar that the big keeper pushed to safety.

United’s defensive frailty reared its ugly head once again when they lost a goal two minutes before the break. A corner from the right wasn’t properly cleared and when the ball was swung back across goal, Andy Tod knocked the ball back across goal into the path of Christiansen who bundled the ball past Bullock.

The second half started with Grant Brebner being replaced by Dave McCracken. This freed Mark Wilson to play in midfield as Lee Mair went to cover at right back.

The change seemed to do little to stem the tide of the Dunfermline attack as they seemed to probe the United defence at will with their short passing game.

On the hour mark, United survived a penality claim by the Pars fans arguing Robson had handled the ball, but their cries seemed not to be mirrored by their players. Scott Thomson went close with a header and Ian McCall withdrew McInnes replacing him with Grady. As the team settled, Dunfermline missed another great chance to extend their lead with a free header at the back post from Hunt being wasted.

In 70 minutes, United shocked the ground with a goal out of nothing. A Grady cross from the right appeared to be too deep but Barry Robson chased a lost cause and got his head to the ball, looping a header over Stillie and across the face of the goal where Stevie Crawford was delighted to continue his goalscoring exploits on the artificial surface!

The striker had another great chance immediately after the restart but couldn’t get his shot on target. From being apparently out of the game, United gained belief in themselves again and the game began to race from end to end with both sides looking for a winner.

Tony Bullock made a fine save from a Thomson free kick and Lee Mair was on hand to boot the ball clear as the United goalkeeper spilled the ball in front of the Pars attack.

The game then became very fragmented as a series of free kicks were awarded by the referee.

As the game drew to a close, Crawford showed his experience and class by holding on to the ball and taking the pressure off his back line when the Pars were trying to press United.

The match finished all square and both teams will be happy not to have dropped all three points but Dunfermline will be kicking themselves for not capitalising on their dominance overall.

Squad Statistics (as at January 22nd, 2005)

2004-05 All Time
Tony Bullock (GK)32 14 - 20 -
Alan Archibald27 273685
Lee Mair24 3 - 3 -
Mark Wilson20 265939
Paul Ritchie29 14 - 14 -
Barry Robson26 275568
Derek McInnes33 24 - 612
Grant Brebner27 221221
Mark Kerr22 182533
Jim McIntyre32 26911935
Stevie Crawford31 3232
David McCracken (sub)23 2521245
James Grady (sub)33 212212

League Table (as at January 22nd, 2005)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 23 19 2 2 +33 59
2. Rangers 22 16 5 1 +36 53
3. Hibernian 23 13 4 6 +12 43
4. Aberdeen 22 10 6 6 +3 36
5. Hearts 22 8 8 6 +4 32
6. Motherwell 23 9 3 11 -3 30
7. Kilmarnock 23 9 2 12 -8 29
8. Inverness CT 23 5 7 11 -10 22
9. Dunfermline 23 5 6 12 -13 21
10. Dundee 23 5 5 13 -19 20
11. DUNDEE UTD 23 3 8 12 -15 17
12. Livingston 22 4 4 14 -20 16

League results since United's last match
16th January 2005
22nd January 2005
Dunfermline1-1Dundee Utd
Livingston1-4Inverness CT