Hibernian 0
Dundee Utd 0
League (Premier Division)


0 - 0

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, January 15th, 1983
Easter Road. Att. 5,043
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gavin Rae (missed pen.)

Team Managers
Pat Stanton Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
1. Alan Rough
2. Alan Sneddon
3. Stewart Turnbull
4. Peter Welsh
5. Gordon Rae
6. Jackie McNamara
7. Mike Conroy
8. Brian Rice
9. Arthur Duncan
10. Bobby Thomson
11. Gary Murray
Hamish McAlpine .1
John Holt .2
Iain Phillip .3
Richard Gough .4
Paul Hegarty .5
Dave Narey .6
Eamonn Bannon .7
Ian Britton .8
John Reilly .9
Paul Sturrock .10
Davie Dodds .11

12. Willie Jamieson
14. Willie Irvine
Derek Stark .12
Ralph Milne .14

Willie Irvine for Bobby Thomson (85) Ralph Milne for John Reilly (56)
Derek Stark for Ian Britton (87)

None. Dave Narey (51)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Andrew Ferguson (Giffnock) (Referee)

Match Report

United came into this game on the back of two consecutive defeats. Paul Sturrock came back into the side for this match but after a lack-lustre performance at Ibrox, Ralph Milne dropped to the bench. A gale force wind welcomed the teams onto the park and gave warning to what would be in store for the coming 90 minutes.

McAlpine could barely clear the ball beyond the middle of his own half and it took a few kicks before he looked comfortable. Rae went in hard on Dodds early in the game which was a sign of things to come. all but reduced this game to the realms of farce. In the end a point was acceptable especially as Hamish McAlpine had saved Gordon Rae's second half penalty kick. Reilly had he first clear chance for United when a back pass got caught up in the wind and the United man picked it up on the angle. He fired a shot with the outside of his foot but it squirmed past the post. A good run from Sturrock put him in the clear but his effort was deflected for a corner. The first half ended with no goals, as His lurched towards another home draw having already drawn 8 at home this season.

In the second half, the players got to grips with the weather conditions and put on a better show. It was His who looked most likely to score. Six minutes after the restart, Gary Murray had the ball in the net but it was disallowed. While referee Alan Ferguson no doubt blew his whistle when Dave Narey had recourse to an uncharacteristic action in grabbing Murray's shirt, no one heard it. Murray had the ball in the net so quickly that the referee had no time to draw breath. The agony of the 5000 crowd and the understandable anger of the Hibs players, he grimly and determinedly pointed to the spot where the incident took place some 25 yards out, booked Narey, and awarded a free kick. He made amends in some ways soon after when he awarded His a penalty. Eamonn Bannon was alleged to have used his arm to a ball on the goal line, despite him protesting it hit his chest. However, to add to Hibs' gloom, Gordon Rae elected to try and place the ball and Hamish McAlpine got down to make the save. The game ended goal-less, with United a shadow of the team that had shown so much promise earlier in the season.

Squad Statistics (as at January 15th, 1983)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)34 35 - 5603
Paul Hegarty28 36338556
Ian Britton28 151151
John Holt26 21 - 21816
Dave Narey26 36843233
Richard Gough20 353845
Iain Phillip31 14 - 1461
Eamonn Bannon24 26717246
John Reilly20 156308
Paul Sturrock26 3012359114
Davie Dodds24 361721184
Derek Stark (sub)24 33 - 1883
Ralph Milne (sub)21 321414141

League Table (as at January 15th, 1983)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 20 16 2 2 +32 34
2. Aberdeen 21 14 4 3 +27 32
3. DUNDEE UTD 20 12 5 3 +28 29
4. Rangers 20 6 9 5 +5 21
5. Dundee 20 6 7 7 +1 19
6. Hibernian 21 3 10 8 -10 16
7. St Mirren 21 3 9 9 -14 15
8. Morton 21 4 7 10 -16 15
9. Motherwell 21 7 1 13 -20 15
10. Kilmarnock 21 1 8 12 -33 10

League results since United's last match
15th January 1983
Hibernian0-0Dundee Utd
St Mirren1-1Aberdeen