Dundee Utd 1
Celtic 1
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd
1 - 1

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, February 5th, 1983
Tannadice Park. Att. 17,289
3:00 PM Kick-off

Davie Dodds (40)
Eamonn Bannon (missed pen.) (42)
Charlie Nicholas (4)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Billy McNeill

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Derek Stark
3. Maurice Malpas
4. Richard Gough
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Eamonn Bannon
8. John Holt
9. Billy Kirkwood
10. Paul Sturrock
11. Davie Dodds
Pat Bonner .1
Danny McGrain .2
Mark Reid .3
Roy Aitken .4
Tom McAdam .5
Graeme Sinclair .6
Davie Provan .7
Paul McStay .8
Charlie Nicholas .9
Murdo McLeod .10
George McCluskey .11

12. Ralph Milne
14. John Reilly
Frank McGarvey .12
Dom Sullivan .14

None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Eddie Pringle (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

Conditions at Tannadice were pretty treacherous, especially for goalkeepers. The players had to choose their footwear wisely to combat a greasy surface and a gale force wind. The wind blowing straight down the pitch, was worth three extra men for the side being blown forward.

Celtic faced up to the wind in the first half, but before United could begin to use their advantage they were a goal behind. In only four minutes the defence could not clear a Mark Reid cross and young Paul McStay lobbed the ball on for Charlie Nicholas to score from a few yards. For almost the rest of the first half, United lay siege to Celtic's goal. The Parkhead defence, in which Graeme Sinclair was magnificent, held firm until just four minutes before the half-time whistle. Derek Stark delivered a rugby type up and under. Bonner, instead of coming to clear, stood rooted to his line and that gave Davie Dodds a free hit at goal which he gratefully accepted. Two minutes later United should have been in front. Sinclair handled in the box, but bonner made a great save to turn away Bannon's penalty kick and at that point it started to look like luck was on Celtic's side.

United played splendidly against the wind in the second half. The built things from a rock solid defence of Paul Hegarty and Dave NArey and gave Celtic plenty of problems. The dominance did not however result in a goal and despite a number of good efforts, the 1-1 score-line from half-time remained until the end of the ninety minutes. United had answered critics of their title ambitions with the best display for some time. At the end Billy McNeill admitted he was happy at taking a point, while United manager Jim McLean said his side would now have to beat Celtic in at least one of the two matches the teams have still to play at Parkhead to have any chance of the championship. Both managers were also in agreement that, despite the atrocious conditions, the players had given the fans an entertaining afternoon in terms of commitment and excitement.

Squad Statistics (as at February 5th, 1983)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)35 38 - 5633
John Holt26 24 - 22116
Derek Stark24 36 - 1913
Richard Gough20 383875
Maurice Malpas20 352602
Dave Narey26 39843533
Paul Hegarty28 39338856
Billy Kirkwood24 36725754
Eamonn Bannon24 27717346
Davie Dodds24 392021487
Paul Sturrock26 3212361114

League Table (as at February 5th, 1983)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 22 17 3 2 +35 37
2. Aberdeen 22 15 4 3 +29 34
3. DUNDEE UTD 22 13 6 3 +29 32
4. Rangers 22 6 10 6 +3 22
5. Dundee 22 6 8 8 -1 20
6. Hibernian 23 4 10 9 -11 18
7. St Mirren 23 4 9 10 -13 17
8. Motherwell 22 8 1 13 -19 17
9. Morton 23 4 7 12 -19 15
10. Kilmarnock 23 2 8 13 -33 12

League results since United's last match
5th February 1983
Dundee Utd1-1Celtic
St Mirren2-0Kilmarnock

Manager's Programme Notes

The disappointment of last Saturday's Cup dismissal at the hands of St Mirren has been felt by everybody at Tannadice. Therefore it is doubly important, as we face Scotland's best side, that we try and repay the magnificent support you have given us this season. Nobody can accuse us of having had it easy this season. Our cup involvement has pitched us against teams like PSV in the U.E.F.A. Cup, Aberdeen and Celtic in the League Cup and an away draw at Love Street can hardly be classified as other than tricky. In fact, only one of our last 10 Scottish cup ties has been played at Tannadice. Whilst I am sure most of you will not agree with me, I would gladly have traded some of our European glory nights this season for progress in last week's cup tie, so highly do I view success in domestic football. I was surprised that the media made such scant reference to the number of fouls conceded by St Mirren. We must have been awarded around 30 free kicks which works out at one every three minutes. That was one of the main reasons we never struck our usual rhythm. The players, unfortunately cannot leave it solely to the referee in such instances.

Our front players in particular must be braver, showing greater determination when intimidated. No side is going to stand back and allow us to play, so we must keep playing no matter the fouls and strive to retain our usual fluency instead of losing our confidence when faced with disruptive tactics as has occurred recently. In the final analysis the remedy to our problems lies in our own hands, and the fluency for which we are noted has to be earned. However, another factor in our loss of form of late has been that the front men haven't been receiving the supply from the back and midfield that they are entitled to expect. Today is Celtic's third visit of the season to Tannadice and I am sure everyone who saw the previous two encounters could only compliment Billy McNeill's side on their entertainment value. When facing Celtic you can expect nothing other than a difficult but attractive match and today's meeting should be no exception. I only hope that victory goes to us.