Dundee Utd 1
Motherwell 0
League (SPL)

Dundee Utd
1 - 0

League (SPL)
Saturday, October 6th, 2007
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,286
3:00 PM Kick-off

Darren Dods (77)

Team Managers
Craig Levein
Mark McGhee

Starting Eleven
21. Grzegorz Szamotulski
3. Christian Kalvenes
5. Darren Dods
4. Lee Wilkie
2. Seán Dillon
11. Barry Robson
16. Morgaro Gomis
20. Prince Buaben
14. Steven Robb
6. Willo Flood
10. Noel Hunt
Graeme Smith
Paul Quinn
Stephen Craigan
Mark Reynolds
Jim Paterson
Steve McGarry
Stephen Hughes
Keith Lasley
Derek Clarkson
Chris Porter
Ross McCormack

13. Euan McLean
18. Garry Kenneth
12. David Robertson
17. Greg Cameron
7. Mark Kerr
9. Jon Daly
22. Jordan Robertson
Colin Meldrum
Simon Mensing
Phil O'Donnell
Lewis Grabban
Marc Fitzpatrick
Willie Kinniburgh
Darren Smith

Jordan Robertson for Steven Robb (76)
Darren Smith for Ross McCormack (84)
Lewis Grabban for David Clarkson (84)
Phil O'Donnell for Steve McGarry (88)

Willo Flood (30)
Keith Lasley (73)
David Clarkson (81)
Jim Paterson (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Stephen Finnie (Referee)

Match Report

Craig Levein made two changes to the United line-up that started last week at Celtic Park. As expected, Christian Kalvenes returned from injury and there was also a starting berth for Steven Robb. Dropping to the bench were David and Jordan Robertson. It was also great to see Jon Daly listed as a substitute after a lengthy spell on the sidelines with a knee problem.

United started the game extremely brightly and within 30 seconds of the kick off Prince Buaben tested Smith but his effort just missed the target. Noel Hunt was next to test the Motherwell keeper with a fine shot that Smith managed to tip round the post. With three minutes gone, Hunt turned provider when he crossed from the left to the head of Robson but the United skipper saw his attempt well saved by Smith. Motherwell eventually settled and on ten minutes they caused the United defence a minor problem when McGarry broke down the left and sent a low cross along the six-yard box. Fortunately for United there were no takers and Szamotulski gathered well. Five minutes later United carved out a magnificent chance to take the lead. Robb and Kalvenes had an excellent exchange of passes which then saw the Norwegian pass to Hunt who was 12 yards out. Just as the United forward went to shoot, Jim Paterson made a superb challenge and cleared the danger for the Steelmen. Willo Flood was continuing to impress for United but just before the half hour mark he received the first yellow card of the afternoon when he was cautioned for a rash challenge on Ross McCormack. The on-loan Irishman then combined well with Robb who sent in an inch perfect ball to the head of Hunt but again the United striker was undone by the impressive Smith. The visitors were showing very little as an attacking force but with six minutes left of the half McCormack had a fine run and cross from the left but as always United’s keeper was alert and took the cross comfortably. A minute later, ‘Well won a free kick on the edge of the area which was swung in by Porter but the big Pole was again first to the ball and punched to safety. Scotland midfielder Barry Robson was in the mood for the hosts and with a couple of minutes left before the break he burst into the Motherwell box. His first effort was blocked by the defence and when the rebound fell to him he blasted his left foot shot high over the crossbar. The final piece of action of the half again involved United’s skipper when he fed Robb on the left who in turn crossed perfectly to the impressive Buaben but once again Smith prevented his side from falling behind.

It was only a matter of time before Motherwell created a decent chance and a minute after the restart they should have been ahead. Stephen Hughes played a neat one-two with Porter and broke into the United box. His first shot was parried by Szamotulski and the rebound fell back into his path. He stroked the ball towards the goal but Gomis was standing on the line for United and booted the ball away to safety. United were next to create when Sean Dillon fired in a cross from the right which again found the head of Hunt. This time Smith was beaten but the header was inches wide of the goalpost. The visitors then went close again when Hughes passed to Quinn who laid off to McCormack who saw his side footed shot narrowly clear the crossbar. Dillon then set up Robson who cut in from the right but his left foot shot from 25 yards was never going to test Smith. Robson then squared a fine pass into the path of Kalvenes but the United defender fired a left foot effort wide of the target. United were looking more and more threatening and with 64 minutes gone Flood hit the by-line and crossed to the head of Hunt who once again headed inches wide of Smith’s goal. Four minutes later Motherwell made their best chance of the day. Porter played in Clarkson who beat the offside trap. United’s keeper rushed from his line and the Motherwell forward rounded him and stroked the ball towards the empty net. Much to the relief of the home support the ball unbelievably went by the far post and out for a goal kick. The home crowd then made a loud appeal for a penalty when Buaben went down in the area after a challenge from Craigan but referee Stephen Finnie was uninterested and waved play on. With 17 minutes remaining Keith Laslay became the first Motherwell booking of the afternoon when he failed to release the ball after a tackle from Flood. After 76 minutes the United Manager tried to shake things up when he replaced Steven Robb with Jordan Robertson. Two minutes later the home side took a deserved lead. Flood won a corner for United which Robson took and swung perfectly to the back post. The towering Darren Dods rose above everyone and headed into an empty net to score his first for the club since arriving in the summer from Inverness. The visitors were now looking frustrated which resulted in Clarkson being booked for a late challenge on Szamotulski. Mark McGhee then made a double substitution when Grabban and Smith came on for McCormack and Clarkson. Four minutes from time United won another corner and this time Robson swung in another cracking corner which missed everyone and landed just wide of the far post. Former United target Chris Porter then had a good chance when the ball was lofted into the United box but the former Oldham man failed to control and the ball was gathered by Szamotulski. Motherwell then made their final change when veteran Phil O’Donnell came on for McGarry. United then had a chance to put the game beyond Motherwell when Robson crossed to Dods who headed into the path of Hunt but the ball was just out of reach of the unfortunate Irishman. The final piece of action came after Paterson was booked for fouling Barry Robson. Robson took the resulting free kick which was punched clear by Smith under a challenge from Dods.

Squad Statistics (as at October 6th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Grzegorz Szamotulski (GK)31 11 - 11 -
Christian Kalvenes30 8 - 401
Darren Dods32 111111
Lee Wilkie27 92242
Seán Dillon24 111271
Barry Robson28 10315228
Morgaro Gomis22 10 - 22 -
Prince Buaben19 111111
Steven Robb25 6 - 231
Willo Flood22 9 - 9 -
Noel Hunt24 1144214
Jordan Robertson (sub)19 7272

Team Sheet (Scanned Photo)

League Table (as at October 6th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.