Ross County 1
Dundee Utd 2
League (SPL)

Ross County 

1 - 2

Dundee Utd

League (SPL)
Saturday, November 24th, 2012
GlobalEnergy Stadium. Att. 3,930
3:00 PM Kick-off

Iain Vigurs (49) Johnny Russell (52)
Stuart Armstrong (64)

Team Managers
Derek Adams Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Michael Fraser
Grant Munro
Scott Boyd
Ross Tokely
Mihael Kova?evi?
Stuart Kettlewell
Richard Brittain
Iain Vigurs
Rocco Quinn
Mark Fotheringham
Sam Morrow
Radoslaw Cierzniak .1
Brian McLean .4
Seán Dillon .2
Barry Douglas .3
Gavin Gunning .5
John Rankin .8
Willo Flood .6
Stuart Armstrong .16
Gary Mackay-Steven .11
Jon Daly .9
Johnny Russell .7

Mark Brown
Marc Fitzpatrick
Archie Macphee
Paul Lawson
Steven Ross
Alex Cooper
Colin McMenamin
Steve Banks .13
Keith Watson .12
Richie Ryan .10
Rudi Skácel .51
Michael Gardyne .15
Mark Millar .14
Ryan Dow .18

Colin McMenamin for Stuart Kettlewell (71)
Steven Ross for Sam Morrow (77)
Rudi Skácel for John Rankin (55)
Richie Ryan for Gary Mackay-Steven (71)
Michael Gardyne for Johnny Russell (86)

Stuart Kettlewell (37) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Iain Brines (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

Dundee United travelled north to face Ross County in what was a crucial match for both sides at the Global Energy Stadium, separated by just a point, County knew a victory would be enough to leap frog their visitors. United, positioned just three points behind the team in fourth position had the incentive of climbing a number of places in the table if other results went their way. Peter Houston was able to name the same side that produced an exciting comeback in their previous match against Kilmarnock. Keith Watson returned from injury to find a place on the bench. Ex-Tannadice defender Mihael Kovacevic made the first eleven for County, who themselves made two changes from their previous draw at St Johnstone. The stadium had been bathed in winter sunshine in the run up to kick off, but by 3pm it was the floodlights that were illuminating the playing surface. With not a breath of wind in the air, the conditions were near perfect for this first league clash between the sides in the recently renovated stadium.

United started the match attacking towards their band of supporters in the newly constructed North Stand. Both sides looked full of energy in the opening exchanges. Russell was first to come close after a great interchange between Armstrong and Daly. A deft flick from Daly on the edge of the box let Russell in on goal but his low shot was beaten away by Fraser in the County goal. After twelve minutes County threatened for the first time. Rocco Quinn pounced on a bouncing ball just outside the United penalty area and struck a right foot effort toward the top corner of the net. Cierzniak had to react quickly, diving high to his left to divert the shot past for a corner. Midway through the first half United created again. Douglas fed a crisp pass into the waiting Russell. With his back to goal, his neat turn led to a foul 25 yards from goal. Willo Flood hit the free kick and forced Fraser to touch over. Sam Morrow was the greatest threat for County and on the half hour mark he looked destined to put the Staggies into the lead. With United struggling to clear their lines, a hopeful ball through the heart of their defence left Morrow with a clear run on goal. As Dillon recovered, Morrow was forced to twist and turn to make space before striking a low shot straight at Cierzniak. As the game edged toward half time, it was County who looked most likely to make the breakthrough. Both sides created some half chances in the ten minutes leading up to the break but defences remained intact. The only booking in the first half was for County midfielder, Kettlewell for a late tackle on Barry Douglas.

A cold fog descended on the stadium during the interval as both sets of supporters waited for the players return, hoping the second half would bring the first goal between these sides this season. They didn’t have long to wait and it was the County fans who were celebrating. Only two minutes into the second half, Brittain made space on the right and swung in a cross that was measured perfectly for Iain Vigurs. The County man found sufficient space 6 yards out to glance a header low past Cierzniak. The goal looked to kick United up a gear and they immediately created a great chance at the other end. Armstrong powered in toward goal from the right side and cut back to the waiting Daly. With the goal at his mercy, his right foot shot from the penalty spot flew high and wide. After 52 minutes United equalised. Rankin sent a long ball toward Russell from his own half and the striker showed great pace to escape the County defence. Keeper Fraser committed himself as he rushed out from goal and Johnny Russell showed great composure to slide it past him into an empty net. Soon after, Houston made an attacking substitution with Skacel replacing Rankin in the middle of the park. It was a clear statement of intent that he wanted to take all three points from the game. The move soon paid off as United struck a second and it was Armstrong who started and finished the move. Picking the ball up in his own half he drove at pace deep into the County half. Russell made space on the left to receive the pass and continued forward into the box where he was able to float a deep cross towards Daly. The big striker unselfishly headed the ball back across goal and Stuart Armstrong had a simple job to nod into the empty net. With his side now ahead in the game, Houston replaced Mackay-Steven with holding midfielder Ryan. That didn’t stop United’s attacking intent and they were soon to go close again. County cleared another attack and a defensive header fell perfectly for Armstrong twenty yards out. The midfielder hit a looping volley toward goal, only to see Fraser palm away. The game opened up as the match progressed and both sides looked for further goals. With only seconds left Skacel had a great chance to tie up the points but the County keeper used his body to block his shot at close range. That was to be the last kick of the ball as referee Brines blew for full time.

Squad Statistics (as at November 24th, 2012)

2012-13 All Time
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK)29 18 - 18 -
Gavin Gunning21 181534
Seán Dillon29 17 - 2143
Barry Douglas23 9 - 513
Brian McLean27 13 - 13 -
John Rankin29 181636
Stuart Armstrong20 171573
Gary Mackay-Steven22 103468
Willo Flood27 1811253
Jon Daly29 17417662
Johnny Russell22 18810133
Michael Gardyne (sub)26 131131
Rudi Skácel (sub)33 7 - 7 -
Richie Ryan (sub)27 14 - 29 -

League Table (as at November 24th, 2012)

No league table has been added for this season.