Forfar Athletic 2
Dundee Utd 3
Forfarshire Cup (Semi Final)

Forfar Athletic 

2 - 3

Dundee Utd

Forfarshire Cup (Semi Final)
Monday, July 28th, 1980
Station Park. Att. 1,000
7:30 PM Kick-off

Ronnie Robb (49)
Ronnie Robb (66)
Bobby Laurie (o.g.) (9)
John Holt (30)
Billy Bennett (o.g.) (39)

Team Managers
Alex Rae Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Stewart Kennedy
Billy Beattie
Jim Cameron
Billy Bennett
Bobby Laurie
Ian McPhee
Ray Farningham
Gordon Leitch
John Clark
Ian Wildridge
Ronnie Robb
Andy Graham
Paul Hegarty
Iain Phillip
John Holt
Derek Stark
Dave Narey
Billy Kirkwood
Ralph Milne
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Willie Pettigrew

Trialist Derek Addison

Trialist for Bobby Laurie Derek Addison for Iain Phillip

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Match Report

United had yet to kick a ball in pre-season before they were drawn into regional action in the form of a Monday night Forfarshire Cup semi-final tie against Forfar Athletic at Station Park. With Hamish McAlpine still recovering from injury, Andy Graham stepped in between the sticks. New signing Ian Wildridge started up front for the Loons, with the daunting and unenviable task of making his debut against Scottish internationalist centre halves Hegarty and Narey.

Both teams took some time to settle, but it was United who eventually hit their stride and offered the first threat of the match, as a Davie Dodds overhead kick flew over Stewart Kennedy's crossbar. At the other end, a Dave Narey clearance prevented John Clark from scoring after good work from Ian McPhee. After nine minutes, disaster struck for the home side. Kennedy seemed to have a cross from Willie Pettigrew more than covered, but his defender Bobby Laurie unexpectedly headed the ball over his own 'keeper, handing United a 1-0 lead. Despite chances for both sides during the next twenty minutes, it was United who again scored, extending their lead on the half hour mark. Eamonn Bannon worked his way up the right wing and his eventual cross met John Holt who dived to head the ball past Kennedy. Shortly after United's second, a chance fell to Forfar's Ronnie Robb after clever work from Wildridge, but his effort hit the side netting. United completed their first half rout with six minutes of the period remaining as another own goal extended the scoreline to 3-0. A Holt rocket flew towards goal and was seemingly on its way into the waiting arms of Kennedy, but the ball hit Billy Bennett and took a wicked deflection, flying in the opposite direction to Kennedy and into the net.

An uncharacteristic mistake from Narey allowed Forfar back into the game following the resumption. Playing a short pass back to Andy Graham, Narey allowed Ronnie Robb to nip in behind the defence and slot the ball under the United 'keeper to make it 1-2. Over an hour had been played with no real sign of Forfar further reducing the deficit. That was until the 66th minute, when Robb netted his second of the evening thanks to an admirable solo effort. Picking the ball up two yards outside the box, he battled past Hegarty, Narey and Stark before lashing the ball high into the net past a rooted Graham. The Loons' comeback was almost complete moments later when Ray Farningham forced Graham into a sensational save and in the closing minute, both sides of the crowd were were left gasping as Forfar put the United defence under pressure in search of an equaliser. Despite late scares, United held on to advance to the final.

Squad Statistics (as at July 28th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time

League Table (as at July 28th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.

League results since United's last match