Aberdeen 1
Dundee Utd 2
League (Premier Division)


1 - 2

Dundee Utd

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, March 19th, 1983
Pittodrie. Att. 23,001
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gordon Strachan (pen) (65) Ralph Milne (25)
Ralph Milne (30)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
1. Jim Leighton
2. Neale Cooper
3. Doug Rougvie
4. John McMaster
5. Alex McLeish
6. Willie Miller
7. Gordon Strachan
8. Dougie Bell
9. Mark McGhee
10. John Hewitt
11. Peter Weir
Hamish McAlpine .1
Derek Stark .2
Maurice Malpas .3
Richard Gough .4
Paul Hegarty .5
Dave Narey .6
Eamonn Bannon .7
Ralph Milne .8
Billy Kirkwood .9
Iain Phillip .10
Davie Dodds .11

12. Neil Simpson
14. Eric Black
Ian Britton .12
John Reilly .14

Eric Black for Peter Weir (54)
Neil Simpson for Dougie Bell (63)

None. Billy Kirkwood
Richard Gough
Davie Dodds

Red Cards
None. Ralph Milne (73)

Match Officials

Eddie Pringle (Edinburgh) (Referee)

Match Report

Facing a bubbling Dons fresh from European glory against Bayern, United were in contrasting mood after their defeat by Bohemians. These two sides had the meanest defences in the league so expectations were for a tight game at Pittodrie. A big crowd turned out for a vital match between the two form sides of Scottish football. United had to do without Paul Sturrock for the trip North.

United stormed over Aberdeen in the first half of this match with Ralph Milne the catalyst. United went in front after 25 minutes. Gough made a forging run forward and set up Ralph Milne who fired in a ferocious shot that smacked the underside of the bar and bounced over the line. Although there was significant protests from the Aberdeen players and fans. It took just five minutes for United to double their lead. It was Ralph Milne again who found some space in the Aberdeen box and steered the ball beyond the helpless Leighton from close in.

Aberdeen pushed United back in the second half as the desperately tried to cling to their own title hopes. They were given an element of hope in the 65th minute when they were awarded a penalty. Gordon Strachan calmly converted to spark the game back to life. Aberdeen got a boost from this and began to turn the screw. Their efforts were further enhanced with just under 20 minutes to play. Ralph Milne, scorer of the two first half goals, lashed out in retaliation after McLeish had fouled him with 17 minutes left. He did not appear to make contact but undoubtedly deserved the early bath, even if McLeish, who had dealt harshly with him on a few occasions, was fortunate to escape a booking. Aberdeen were now going at United in almost demented fashion. The standard of interceptions and tackling by Dave Narey and Paul Hegarty, assisted by the remaining 8 others was of the highest quality. United did adopt some time wasting tactics as the game came to a close as they desperately hung onto the two points. It was not a pretty game but the consequences especially as Celtic lost to Dundee, is an exciting three team race for the title. United are still the outsiders, but with the defence they have, they certainly shouldn't be disregarded.

Squad Statistics (as at March 19th, 1983)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)35 45 - 5703
Richard Gough20 4589410
Maurice Malpas20 422672
Dave Narey26 46844233
Paul Hegarty28 46439557
Iain Phillip32 16 - 1481
Derek Stark24 42 - 1973
Eamonn Bannon24 34818047
Ralph Milne21 411715044
Billy Kirkwood24 43726454
Davie Dodds24 462322190

League Table (as at March 19th, 1983)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Aberdeen 27 19 4 4 +37 42
2. DUNDEE UTD 27 17 7 3 +40 41
3. Celtic 26 19 3 4 +39 41
4. Rangers 27 8 11 8 +7 27
5. Dundee 28 8 8 12 -7 24
6. St Mirren 28 7 10 11 -7 24
7. Hibernian 27 5 12 10 -13 22
8. Motherwell 28 9 3 16 -25 21
9. Morton 28 5 8 15 -30 18
10. Kilmarnock 28 3 8 17 -41 14

League results since United's last match
16th March 1983
St Mirren2-3Morton
19th March 1983
Aberdeen1-2Dundee Utd
St Mirren3-0Hibernian