Den Bosch 0
Dundee Utd 1

Den Bosch 

0 - 1

Dundee Utd

Saturday, August 11th, 1990
Att. 1,000
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Unknown. Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Jan van Grinsven
Bas Gosgens
Dick Bults
Erik Meulendijk
Wilbert Goossens
Jan Gosgens
Jack de Gier
John Laponder
Bud Brocken
Ad van de Weil
Bert de Meijer
Billy Thomson
Miodrag Krivokapić
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Michael O'Neill
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Billy McKinlay
Hamish French
Darren Jackson

Rene Nijhuis
Jeroen Kiepman
Coen van de Hoeven
Vladimir Laisina
Marcel van de Voort
Alan Main
Christian Dailly
Allan Preston
Brian Welsh
Alex Cleland
Ray McKinnon

None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

W.A Schaap (Referee)

Match Report

The rest day from matches brought a change in the routine time for training, but this was as much due to the sharing of Spitkinesse's facilities with VFB Stuttgart. The Germans were taking part in the Rotterdam Tournament and were also staying in the Carlton Oasis, our hotel in the suburb of Rotterdam. The week-end brought us a double-header of fixtures against Dutch league sides. The first was against Freddy Van Der Hoorn's old club B.V.V. Den Bosch. The rest of his team-mates would have been almost equally familiar with the personnel in the Dutch side because only one, their goalkeeper, was in their side when Freddy was there such has been the change in the short space of twelve months!

Relegation from the First Division at the end of last season has meant Den Bosch coach has brought an influx of new players to the club and promoted a lot of their youth players.

The match itself was played on a very hot evening and our single goal victory failed to reflect our superiority. After an early save by Alan Main, we enjoyed a great deal of possession, but it was a misdirected pass-back which gave us first real opening when a Den Bosch defender directed the ball into Michael O'Neill's path, but Butts came to the Dutchman's rescue with a timely tackle to disposses the Irish internationalist as he was on the point of shooting. However, there was no such Dutch intervention on the stroke of halftime. Maurice Malpas won possession and played the ball off to Mixu Paatelainen and it was Michael O'Neill who drilled a hard low shot which whistled past Grinsvens.

Allan Preston, a substitute for Michael O'Neill early in the second half was the victim of several late tackles in a series of left wing surges. One run from his own half ended abruptly on the edge of the box courtesy of a Dutch defender's boot.

Moments prior to that Den Bosch had their best chance of the game when Kiepman flagheaded a diving header narrowly wide. Shortly afterwards their keeper did well to keep out a diving header from Mixu Paatelainen. Illustration of how much we had been in command came in the 84th minute when Den Bosch won their first corner. Grinsven, their 'keeper sprinted to the other end, but couldn't help contrive an equaliser. On the contrary, Allan Preston was on a run at the half-way line after the ball was played out to him with their 'keeper trailing badly behind. However, yet again another illegal challenge halted his run.

Squad Statistics (as at August 11th, 1990)

1990-91 All Time

League Table (as at August 11th, 1990)

No league table has been added for this season.