Viking 1
Dundee Utd 3
UEFA Cup (2nd Round 1st Leg)


1 - 3

Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup (2nd Round 1st Leg)
Wednesday, October 20th, 1982
Viking Stadion. Att. 8,890
7:30 PM Kick-off

Per Henriksen (78) Ralph Milne (73)
Ralph Milne (pen.) (80)
Paul Sturrock (88)

Team Managers
Kjell Schou-Andreassen Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Tore Haugvaldstad
Gunnstein Fjetland
Per Henrikson
Torbjorn Svendsen
Einar Saebo
Tor Reidar Brekke
Tonning Hammer
Gary Goodchild
Bjarne Bernsten
Isak Arne Refvik
Cato Andersen
Hamish McAlpine
Richard Gough
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
Billy Kirkwood
Ralph Milne
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Erik Johannesen
Bjorn Kvia
Rolf Bjornsen
Age Risanger
Trygve Johannesen
John Gardiner
Derek Murray
Iain Phillip
Ian Britton
Graeme Payne

Bjorn Kvia for Gunnstein Fjetland (82)
Rolf Bjornsen for Isak Arne Refvik (87)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Osmo Orakangas (Finland) (Referee)

Match Report

United travelled to Norway with their biggest ever Euro squad for this UEFA Cup tie. Due to an ever increasing injury list, manager Jim McLean took 19 players for the match, adding Iain Phillip, John Gardiner, Derek Murray, Ian Gibson, Ian Britton and Gary McGinnis to the 13 who were on duty against Morton on Saturday. Britton and Billy Kirkwood both passed fitness tests to make the matchday squad, however Eamonn Bannon missed out again, with a recurrence of his hamstring problem that had ruled him out in previous weeks. Taking his place was youngster Maurice Malpas, making his first European appearance on foreign soil.

First half chances went a begging at the Viking end when first Davie Dodds and then Paul Sturrock failed to make reasonable easy chances count, the latter's effort being cleared off the goal-line by a deluge of Norwegian defenders.

But those first-half missed opportunities were forgotten in the 71st minute when Ralph Milne latched on to a perfect John Holt pass, dragged the ball across the face of the Norwegian penalty area, before shooting home from 14 yards. Four minutes later and there was drama and controversy at the other end - when Viking equalised Hamish McAlpine appeared to be impeded in going for a loose ball, but the Finnish referee ignored the incident and Per Henriksennetted easily with a header. But United's determination to succeed was emphasised with just 11 minutes remaining when Sturrock's run and cross from the byeline was handled by Svendsen and Ralph Milne stepped up to convert his and United's second goal of the night from the resultant penalty kick. And just to illustrate their total dominance on the night, Paul Sturrock raced away on a 30 yard solo run to hammer home United's third goal with three minutes left.

Squad Statistics (as at October 20th, 1982)

1982-83 All Time
Hamish McAlpine (GK)34 17 - 5423
Maurice Malpas20 172422
Derek Stark23 17 - 1723
Richard Gough20 171663
Paul Hegarty28 18136754
Dave Narey26 18541430
John Holt25 7 - 20416
Ralph Milne21 14712234
Billy Kirkwood24 17523852
Paul Sturrock26 188347110
Davie Dodds24 181119378

League Table (as at October 20th, 1982)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Celtic 7 5 1 1 +11 11
2. United 7 3 4 0 +11 10
3. Rangers 7 2 5 0 +6 9
4. Aberdeen 7 4 1 2 +4 9
5. Dundee 7 3 2 2 +2 8
6. Morton 7 2 2 3 -8 6
7. Hibernian 7 1 3 3 -3 5
8. St Mirren 7 1 3 3 -5 5
9. Kilmarnock 7 0 4 3 -7 4
10. Motherwell 7 1 1 5 -11 3