Dundee Utd 4
Partick Th 1
League (Premiership)

Dundee Utd
4 - 1
Partick Th 

League (Premiership)
Saturday, November 23rd, 2013
Tannadice Park. Att. 6,700
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gary Mackay-Steven (2)
Andrew Robertson (70)
Gary Mackay-Steven (77)
Brian Graham (85)
Aaron Muirhead (pen.) (57)

Team Managers
Jackie McNamara
Alan Archibald

Starting Eleven
1. Radoslaw Cierzniak
26. Andrew Robertson
20. John Souttar
5. Gavin Gunning
16. Mark Wilson
19. Ryan Gauld
11. Gary Mackay-Steven
10. Stuart Armstrong
6. Paul Paton
8. John Rankin
21. Nadir Çiftçi
Scott Fox
Jordan McMillan
Aaron Muirhead
Conrad Balatoni
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
Isaac Osbourne
Ross Forbes
James Craigen
Stuart Bannigan
Kallum Higginbotham
Kris Doolan

25. Marc McCallum
2. Seán Dillon
12. Keith Watson
27. Morgaro Gomis
18. Ryan Dow
7. David Goodwillie
9. Brian Graham
Paul Gallacher
Stevie Lawless
Gabriel Piccolo
Christie Elliott
John Baird
Mark Kerr
David Wilson

Morgaro Gomis for Paul Paton (76)
Brian Graham for Stuart Armstrong (80)
David Goodwillie for Nadir Çiftçi (80)
Stevie Lawless for Ross Forbes (64)
Christie Elliott for Kallum Higginbotham (70)

Mark Wilson (52)
John Souttar (57)
Paul Paton (61)
Gavin Gunning (88)
Conrad Balatoni (21)
Isaac Osbourne (45)
Jordan McMillan (54)
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (77)

Red Cards
None. Conrad Balatoni (75)
Stuart Bannigan (90)
Match Officials

Willie Collum (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee United made no changes to the side that demolished Motherwell 4-0 before the international break whereas the visitors made three changes to their starting XI. Jordan McMillan, Alan Muirhead and Ross Forbes replaced Stephen O’Donnell, Gabriel Piccolo and Steven Lawless.

Dundee United got off to a terrific start in a first half they would go on to dominate. Stuart Armstrong took down an Andy Robertson throw in with his chest and played a delightful reverse pass to Ryan Gauld. The dynamic playmaker showed to his right before he slipped the ball to Gary Mackay-Steven who was unmarked at the edge of the box. He advanced into the area and slid the ball low past Scott Fox into the bottom right corner. United were absolutely dominant in the first half and put on an attacking show for the entire 45 minutes. Gauld, Paton and Mackay-Steven all came within inches of extending the United lead.

It was therefore a significant shock to the Tannadice faithful when a hand ball from Souttar let in Aaron Muirhead to score a penalty equaliser in the 57th minute. United didn't let their heads go down and stormed back into the lead on 70 minutes. More mesmerising play by Gauld set up Andy Robertson who stormed in from the left to fire home an unstoppable effort low in the corner. Seven minutes later it was again Gauld who was the provider. He thread the ball through the eye of a needle to find Gary Mackay-Steven in the box. the winger linked the ball past the 'keeper. Another measured pass by Gauld let in Brian Graham to score a fourth for United with five minutes remaining. This was an absolute master class by Ryan Gauld. A special performance from a special player.

Match Photos courtesy of Riki Grauer - More photos available at:
Dundee United Official Flickr Page

Squad Statistics (as at November 23rd, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK)30 17 - 63 -
Mark Wilson29 6 - 14411
Gavin Gunning22 10 - 766
Andrew Robertson19 173173
John Souttar17 10 - 19 -
Paul Paton26 171171
Ryan Gauld17 155276
Stuart Armstrong21 154989
John Rankin30 16 - 1047
Gary Mackay-Steven23 1447916
Nadir Çiftçi21 167167
Morgaro Gomis (sub)28 5 - 1857
Brian Graham (sub)26 131131
David Goodwillie (sub)24 15415144

League Table (as at November 23rd, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

A lot of water has flowed under the Tay Bridge since our last home game four weeks ago and by and large we can reflect on a very satisfying period. It began with a great peiformance against St Mirren. We set our stall out to attack from the first whistle, going close from Nadir's free-kick in the first minute and hardly let up in the entire 90 minutes. There were a whole lot of good performances in a game in which we created plenty of chances and could quite easily have won by more than four goals. Unfortunately the trip to Inverness in the League Cup proved a major disappointment as the chance of reaching a semi-final was lost. We started the game well and took the lead with Keith Watson scoring an excellent goal early on. But then they came into it and put us under a bit of pressure, but we withstood it. Then three minutes before half-time we had the incident which changed the game with Nadir being sent off, a decision that was later overturned. So there was a real sense of frustration that after defending so well for 80 minutes with ten men, we lost a goal a minute from the end of extra-time. Looking at the positive side, I was proud of how the players stuck together in difficult circumstances and it was such a shame that we couldn't see it through to take it to penalties.

Likewise we were on the wrong end of a late, late goal at Celtic Park. We went there looking to attack and had some good openings, particularly in the first half when we passed the ball well and scored a good goal through Stuart Armstrong. True, we came under a bit of pressure in the second half, but had a chance to kill the game with Brian Graham's effort. In the end, unfortunately, we had to be satisfied with a point thanks to Celtic getting a last gasp equaliser however the fact that we left Parkhead disappointed with only picking up a point, is a good sign.

And in the third of three tough away fixtures it all came good at Motherwell where we gave a quote exhilarating display and I am sure the fans were as taken with it as I was. We were excellent from start to finish and looked a real threat with the chances we created. In fact, I was a wee bit disappointed just to go in two up at haf time. With Motherwell having won five out of their last six home games, Fir Park is a difficult venue. We had to be on our game and certainly were! And if we can maintain that standard then we should do well. This afternoon we welcome my old club Partick Thistle and a lot has happened since our meeting in the first game of the season. I feel that we are gaining a brt of momentum and with this being the first of three back-to-back home games, this sequence gives us a chance to push up the league and hopefully progress in the Scottish Cup. As Thistle try to play football and pass the ball well, I anticipate it being a good entertaining encounter and one that we can win, provided we play as we did last time out at Fir Park.