St Mirren 4
Dundee Utd 1
League (Premiership)

St Mirren 

4 - 1

Dundee Utd

League (Premiership)
Thursday, December 26th, 2013
St Mirren Park. Att. 4,780
3:00 PM Kick-off

Steven Thompson (12)
John McGinn (35)
Jason Naismith (71)
Steven Thompson (88)
Nadir Çiftçi (36)

Team Managers
Danny Lennon Jackie McNamara

Starting Eleven
Marian Kello
Jason Naismith
Mark McAusland
Darren McGregor
Sean Kelly
Jim Goodwin
Conor Newton
Paul McGowan
Kenny McLean
John McGinn
Steven Thompson
Radoslaw Cierzniak .1
Gavin Gunning .5
Andrew Robertson .26
John Souttar .20
Keith Watson .12
Stuart Armstrong .10
Ryan Gauld .19
Gary Mackay-Steven .11
Paul Paton .6
John Rankin .8
Nadir Çiftçi .21

Christopher Dilo
David van Zanten
Thomas Reilly
Danny Grainger
Anton Brady
Lee Mair
Gary Harkins
Marc McCallum .25
Seán Dillon .2
Chris Erskine .17
Morgaro Gomis .27
Ryan Dow .18
David Goodwillie .7
Brian Graham .9

David van Zanten for Jim Goodwin (43)
Danny Grainger for Kenny McLean (46)
Garry Harkins for Sean Kelly (85)
David Goodwillie for Ryan Gauld (65)
Brian Graham for Stuart Armstrong (66)

Jim Goodwin (16)
Conor Newton (30)
John McGinn (55)
Steven Thompson (76)
Gavin Gunning (80)

Red Cards
None. Keith Watson (70)

Match Officials

Bobby Madden (Referee)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

On 13 minutes a cross from the left was nodded down by Newton and Steven Thompson was given time to control, turn and shoot past Cierzniak to put St Mirren 1-0 up. A minute later United could have equalised when a Watson cross was met by Armstrong six yards out but his header was saved by Kello at point blank range. As the game ebbed and flowed United had a claim for a penalty waved away when Gauld was nudged to the ground in the penalty area. Then on 26 minutes, Mackay-Steven did well on the right before cutting back to Ciftci, but his shot was straight at Kello. With St Mirren battling for everything, they took a 2-0 lead when the ball broke to John McGinn after a Gunning slip in the penalty area. He worked space before shooting past Cierzniak. One minute later it was 2-1 when Rankin put Ciftci through on goal; Nadir Çiftçi managed to reach the ball before the advancing Kello and prod into the net with the St Mirren defence unable to stop it going over the line. Just before the break, following an earlier booking and several fouls the St Mirren captain Jim Goodwin was tactically substituted by Danny Lennon.

United started the second half strongly but found it difficult to work openings in the St Mirren defence, but almost equalised in 55 minutes when a blistering drive from John Rankin was tipped over the bar one handed by Kello. McGinn was booked for a dangerous tackle on Paton, then on 60 minutes United almost got the breakthrough their early second half play deserved. A beautiful through ball from Armstrong was collected by Gary Mackay-Steven who tried to chip the keeper. Unfortunately for United, Kello got his finger tips to the ball to prevent a certain goal. The ball broke back to Mackay Steven to cross but there were no takers. From 69 minutes, there were three pivotal points. First, a deep cross was met by Ciftci with a controlled volley but Kello again pulled off a great save to prevent the equaliser. Then Keith Watson was given a straight red card after lunging into a tackle with McGinn. Within a minute of the sending off, St Mirren broke and scored when Jason Naismith slotted the third and game clinching goal. To United’s credit, they continued to battle and drive forward when possible. On 84 minutes another Rankin 30 yard shot was saved by Kello, then a spectacular overhead effort from Graham flew just over the bar. On 87 minutes, fantastic effort from Robertson deserved a goal. He controlled the ball in the penalty area, turned and lobbed over the keeper but it fell just wide of the far post. With United pressing and down to 10 men, St Mirren broke and after a good passing move finished off the scoring with a fourth goal. The ball broke to Steven Thompson at the back post and he rifled past Cierzniak. United continued to battle to the end with the score-line not really reflecting the even nature of the game. They can count themselves unfortunate not to have taken something from the game on a day when St Mirren keeper Marian Kello had several outstanding saves. However, St Mirren must also be given credit for taking their chances at pivotal times to secure their first win in four matches.

Match Photos courtesy of Riki Grauer - More photos available at:
Dundee United Official Flickr Page

Squad Statistics (as at December 26th, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK)30 22 - 68 -
Gavin Gunning22 14 - 806
Andrew Robertson19 225225
John Souttar17 15 - 24 -
Keith Watson24 1331209
Stuart Armstrong21 20710312
Ryan Gauld18 206327
Gary Mackay-Steven23 1978419
Paul Paton26 221221
John Rankin30 2111098
Nadir Çiftçi21 208208
David Goodwillie (sub)24 20515645
Brian Graham (sub)26 183183

League Table (as at December 26th, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.