Dundee Utd 3
Motherwell 1
League (Premiership)

Dundee Utd
3 - 1

League (Premiership)
Friday, February 21st, 2014
Tannadice Park. Att. 7,029
7:45 PM Kick-off

Ryan Dow (22)
Gavin Gunning (41)
Gavin Gunning (47)
John Sutton (pen.) (57)

Team Managers
Jackie McNamara
Stuart McCall

Starting Eleven
1. Radoslaw Cierzniak
26. Andrew Robertson
3. Curtis Good
12. Keith Watson
5. Gavin Gunning
10. Stuart Armstrong
11. Gary Mackay-Steven
6. Paul Paton
8. John Rankin
21. Nadir Çiftçi
18. Ryan Dow
Gunnar Nielsen
Steven Hammell
Shaun Hutchinson
Stephen McManus
Zaine Francis-Angol
Iain Vigurs
Keith Lasley
Stewart Carswell
Lionel Ainsworth
James McFadden
John Sutton

25. Marc McCallum
16. Mark Wilson
2. Seán Dillon
27. Morgaro Gomis
39. Aidan Connolly
29. Farid El Alagui
9. Brian Graham
Lee Hollis
Craig Reid
Euan Murray
Dominic Thomas
Jack Leitch
Henri Anier
Dale Shirkie

Farid El Alagui for Ryan Dow (78)
Aidan Connolly for Stuart Armstrong (88)
Craig Reid for Lionel Ainsworth (67)
Henri Anier for Iain Vigurs (77)

Nadir Çiftçi (57)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Bobby Madden (Referee)

Match Report

Jackie McNamara made two changes to the line up which came from behind to win 3-2 against Kilmarnock. John Souttar and Ryan Gauld missed out through injury with Gavin Gunning coming in at the centre of defence. Ryan Dow also gained a starting berth after impressing as a substitute the last time out.

The first threat came from the visitors after a minute when a rather dubious looking free kick was awarded in a dangerous area. Ian Vigurs’s resulting set piece clipped the wall and sailed out safely for a corner. Andy Robertson was next to threaten as he broke into the box but Stephen McManus was on hand to clear before the left back could get a shot away. United were starting to apply the pressure and a neat move between Dow and Armstrong almost put the latter in and but for a last ditch challenge from Francis-Angol he might have opened the scoring. The goal one sensed was coming did arrive after 21 minutes for the hosts, and just like last week a big defensive error played a part. Mackay-Steven nodded the ball forward and Hutchinson misjudged his back pass to goalkeeper Neilson. This allowed Ryan Dow to speed clear before emphatically guiding the ball into the net from 12 yards. Confidence was flowing through the Tangerines at this point and the visitors were struggling to hold on. Cierzniak did come to the rescue in the 35th minute as a rare attack from Motherwell saw Ian Vigurs with an opportunity from close range. Thankfully for United the goalkeeper produced a marvellous one handed save to deny the former Ross County man. The next goal was going to be an important one and Dow again caused panic in the Motherwell defence on the break. From his centre both Armstrong and then Ciftci saw efforts blocked which forced a corner. From Dow’s delivery Ciftci glanced a header to the back post which left Gavin Gunning with the easiest of tasks in tapping home to double the advantage. There were appeals for a penalty at the other end as Vigurs went down in the box under the challenge of Gunning but play was waved on and the 2-0 advantage was maintained into half time.

Both teams knew the next goal could be decisive in terms of the outcome of the match and right from the kick off the tangerines forced the issue their way. Ciftci took the ball forward from the restart and won a free kick deep in the Motherwell half. From the free kick Gavin Gunning struck the ball powerfully past the wall and into the net off the far post to secure what was the perfect start to the half. The visitors forced a couple of free kicks from the edge of the area and from the second were given a route back into the game. McFadden’s free kick was adjudged to have been handled by Ciftci and a penalty was awarded in 56 minutes. From the spot John Sutton sent Cierzniak the wrong way to narrow the deficit. From this point the game became more of a scrappy affair compared to the free flowing open football on display from the hosts earlier. With the visitors trying to mount a comeback the Terrors’ attacking moments were more fleeting with both Armstrong and Mackay-Steven having attempts from long range which didn’t trouble the goalkeeper. Ciftci weaved his way deep into the box on 75 minutes and shot fiercely into the side netting before Mackay-Steven and then Armstrong forced Neilson into a double save. At the other end the home defence was keeping the visitors largely at bay. A rare mix up in the latter stages presented Anier with a chance but he tamely headed wide of the post. In the end there was nothing the Steelmen could do to prevent a third successive home win for United.

Match Photos courtesy of Riki Grauer - More photos available at:
Dundee United Official Flickr Page

Squad Statistics (as at February 21st, 2014)

2013-14 All Time
Radoslaw Cierzniak (GK)30 31 - 77 -
Keith Watson24 17412410
Curtis Good20 4141
Gavin Gunning23 182848
Andrew Robertson19 315315
Gary Mackay-Steven23 2889320
Stuart Armstrong21 29711212
Paul Paton26 311311
John Rankin30 2921179
Ryan Dow22 162444
Nadir Çiftçi22 279279
Aidan Connolly (sub)18 1 - 1 -
Farid El Alagui (sub)28 6161

League Table (as at February 21st, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.