Dundee Utd 2
Morton 1
League (Championship)

Dundee Utd
2 - 1

League (Championship)
Saturday, September 24th, 2016
Tannadice Park. Att. 5,829
3:00 PM Kick-off

Tony Andreu (64)
Tony Andreu (90)
Sean Dillon (o.g) (90)

Team Managers
Ray McKinnon
Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. Cammy Bell
3. Paul Dixon
4. Mark Durnan
14. William Edjenguélé
6. Lewis Toshney
20. Frank van der Struijk
19. Tony Andreu
7. Blair Spittal
23. Nick van der Velden
9. Simon Murray
15. Cammy Smith
Andrew McNeil
Thomas O'Ware
Gavin Gunning
Michael Doyle
Gary Oliver
Ross Forbes
Jamie Lindsay
Aiden Nesbitt
Mark Russell
Jamie McDonagh
Jai Quitongo

21. Luis Zwick
2. Seán Dillon
5. Coll Donaldson
24. Jamie Robson
10. Scott Fraser
27. Brad Smith
11. Tope Obadeyi
Derek Gaston
John Scullion
Andrew Murdoch
Thomas Orr
Scott Tiffoney
Lewis Strapp

Tope Obadeyi for Blair Spittal (62)
Scott Fraser for Cammy Smith (77)
Seán Dillon for Nick van der Velden (85)
Scott Tiffoney for Jamie Lindsay (77)
Andrew Murdoch for Aiden Nesbitt (78)

Mark Durnan (42)
William Edjenguélé (80)
Mark Russell (71)
Jamie McDonagh (75)
Thomas O'Ware (75)
Jai Quitongo (80)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Barry Cook (Referee)
Chris Phillips & Ralph Gordon (Assistants)

Match Report

Ray McKinnon made three changes to the starting line up following the disappointing result in Greenock on Tuesday evening with Mark Durnan, Simon Murray and Tony Andreu replacing Murdoch, Fraser and Obadeyi.

The opening period of the game saw little goalmouth action, with United retaining the ball and Morton looking to utilise the strength and pace of Quitongo on the counter attack. In the seventeenth minute Tony Andreu had the first real chance of the game. Smith, winning the ball inside the Morton box and playing a clever reverse pass into the path of the United midfielder. Morton keeper McNeil, did well to deflect his low effort away to safety. Morton striker Quitongo was next to threaten. Durnan failed to clear his lines at half way, however he did redeem himself, stretching in to poke the ball away on the eighteen yard line as the youngster took aim at Bell’s goal. Cammy Smith was unlucky not to get his head on a Nick Van Der Velden cross as United looked for the breakthrough. The United fans screamed for a penalty on thirty four minutes, Murray hitting the deck as he lined up a shot. Referee Cook, correctly, waving away any claims. The referee became the centre of attention on thirty eight minutes. Firstly giving a free kick for handball to Morton on the edge of the box when it appeared that Durnan could do little to avoid contact. From the resultant kick he waved away Morton penalty claims as the ball appeared to strike another hand. From the following corner Morton struck the post and skipper O’ware fired over with an empty net to aim at. Durnan was booked for scything down Nesbitt. With half time approaching Blair Spittal lashed over from twenty yards after a neat set up from van der Velden.

After a pedestrian first half the second flashed into life after only a couple of minutes. Van der Velden and Andreu combined well down the right and as the ball broke to the edge of the area Murray and Smith got in each others’ way before either could get in an effort. Spittal then brought a fantastic save out of McNeil; latching on to a Simon Murray flick, the United man unleashed a fierce drive which the Morton keeper got the merest of touches on to push wide for a corner. Cammy Smith was then set up by clever play by Andreu but the lay off was just out of his reach. By the sixtieth minute it was all United, Dixon strode forward and unleashed a rasper of a shot along the ground which was blocked somehow by Gunning. Durnan then got on the end of a Spittal cross, but his header landed on the roof of the net. Four minutes later United took a deserved lead; Paul Dixon’s cross was deflected to the back post by Van der Velden. Tope Obadeyi, just on the pitch, chipped it back into the danger area where Tony Andreu made space to fire past McNeil from eight yards. Cammy Smith had the ball in the net with fifteen minutes remaining but the referee adjudged him to have fouled Forbes in an effort to win the ball. Tony Andreu scored his and United’s second as the game drew to a close. The Morton defence tried to chase out their own clearance, but Simon Murray’s clever flick left Tony Andreu with just McNeil to beat and given his recent scoring record there was only ever one outcome as he swept the ball wide of the advancing keeper. The referee appeared to ignore his watch as the game progressed well beyond the ninetieth minute and Sean Dillon was unfortunate to deflect a flighted free kick into his own net. However this was the last action and there was relief in the air as Barry Cook blew his whistle to signal the end of the match.

Written by Gordon Aitchison

Squad Statistics (as at September 24th, 2016)

2016-17 All Time
Cammy Bell (GK)30 13 - 13 -
Paul Dixon29 7 - 2025
Mark Durnan23 7 - 403
William Edjenguélé29 5 - 5 -
Lewis Toshney24 131131
Frank van der Struijk31 5 - 5 -
Tony Andreu28 4545
Blair Spittal20 11 - 799
Nick van der Velden34 123123
Simon Murray24 1463913
Cammy Smith21 125125
Seán Dillon (sub)33 9 - 3347
Scott Fraser (sub)21 111483
Tope Obadeyi (sub)26 131131

League Table (as at September 24th, 2016)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. QOS 7 5 2 0 +10 17
2. Hibernian 7 5 1 1 +8 16
3. Falkirk 7 4 1 2 +4 13
4. Raith Rovers 7 4 1 2 +3 13
5. DUNDEE UTD 7 3 2 2 +3 11
6. Ayr Utd 7 2 1 4 -8 7
7. Dunfermline 7 2 0 5 -5 6
8. Morton 7 1 3 3 -5 6
9. Dumbarton 7 1 2 4 -3 5
10. St Mirren 7 0 3 4 -7 3

League results since United's last match
24th September 2016
Dundee Utd2-1Morton
Dunfermline4-3St Mirren
Falkirk2-0Ayr Utd
Raith Rovers3-2Dumbarton