Dumbarton 1
Dundee Utd 0
League (Championship)


1 - 0

Dundee Utd

League (Championship)
Saturday, December 31st, 2016
CID Stadium. Att. 1,221
1:30 PM Kick-off

Mark Docherty (27) None.

Team Managers
Stephen Aitken Ray McKinnon

Starting Eleven
Alan Martin
Gregor Buchanan
Daniel Harvie
Darren Barr
David Smith
Mark Docherty
Joe Thomson
Josh Todd
Robert Thomson
Sam Stanton
Garry Fleming
Cammy Bell .1
Paul Dixon .3
Mark Durnan .4
William Edjenguélé .14
Seán Dillon .2
Stewart Murdoch .8
Blair Spittal .7
Nick van der Velden .23
Willo Flood .16
Scott Fraser .10
Simon Murray .9

Mark Brown
Craig Pettigrew
Ryan Stevenson
Donald McCallum
Frazer Wright
Luis Zwick .21
Lewis Toshney .6
Coll Donaldson .5
Jamie Robson .24
Charlie Telfer .12
Tope Obadeyi .11
Cammy Smith .15

Ryan Stevenson for Garry Fleming (81) Cammy Smith for Simon Murray (63)
Tope Obadeyi for Blair Spittal (64)
Coll Donaldson for Scott Fraser (81)

Robert Thomson (74)
Gregor Buchanan (86)
William Edjenguélé (34)
Nick van der Velden (85)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Stephen Finnie (Referee)
Sean Carr & David Burns (Assistants)

Ticket stub / Admission info

Match Report

Instead of the usual 4-4-2 formation, United lined up in 4-1-4-1 formation on a greasy pitch after some heavy showers. In an early attack, Blair Spittal was on the end of a Seán Dillon header, but his control let him down and keeper Alan Martin collected. The home side were first to test either keeper with Mark Docherty’s low first-time drive from 25 yards comfortably smothered by Cammy Bell after five minutes. Almost immediately, Sam Stanton let fly from even greater distance, but to everyone’s relief, the ball went just past then far post. By the mid-point of the half, United were dictating proceedings but finding it hard to create any clear cut chances. But there was a real setback for United after 27 minutes when Mark Docherty sent a purely speculative ball into the box with which Robert Thomson failed to connect, only for the ball to skid off the sodden surface and into the top corner. Two minutes later Martin was tested for the first time, Murdoch drilling in a low shot from 35 yards which the Sons’ keeper saved at full stretch. On 33 minutes, William Edjenguélé picked up the game’s first booking for what looked the softest of fouls on Garry Fleming. Then deficit was almost doubled seven minutes from the break when Joe Thomson’s first time volley from the edge of the box flew inches over. Two minutes later Willo Flood pounced on a clearance and his sweetly struck first-timed drive from 25 yards was tipped over by Martin. Simon Murray did have the ball in the net shortly afterwards but Dixon’s cut-back was from behind the bye-line. So the disappointment of the opening half performance was only exacerbated by news that Hibs were back on top after winning 2-1 at Falkirk.

No changes in personnel, but Blair Spittal moved to the right with Scott Fraser switching to the left with van der Velden joining Murray up top. And with the wind now behind them combined with those changes saw the Tangerines start to really press. For the more and a probing cross from Murray was headed for the safety of a corner after 56 minutes. But the award almost brought an equaliser with Mark Durnan’s flick from Fraser’s delivery careering up and hitting the top of the bar. Nevertheless, Manager Ray McKinnon made a double substitution after 63 minutes with Spittal and Murray being replaced by Tope Obadeyi and Cammy Smith with van der Velden going up top in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Obadeyi almost made an instant impact with a run from midway inside his own half to the bye-line couldn’t get a cross in. With 18 minutes left, a flowing move involving Obadeyi and van der Velden set up Cammy Smith whose shot from the angle of the penalty box was deflected over. Sam Stanton was the second player to be booked after felling Obadeyi. With 13 minutes left, Fraser fired a free-kick narrowly over after a foul on Cammy Smith as United continued their quest for an equaliser. That might easily have come ten minutes later when Durnan was on the end of a Dixon cross, only to head wide when right in front of goal. Tempers flared five minutes from the end and van der Velden and Gregor Buchanan were booked following an altercation. With three minutes left United came even closer to getting an elusive goal. Durnan nodded down a Dillon cross and after Martin parried it, an almighty scramble ensued with the Sons defence just managing to keep the ball out. And although pushed right back, for the last few minutes they held on.

Written by Peter Rundo

Squad Statistics (as at December 31st, 2016)

2016-17 All Time
Cammy Bell (GK)30 25 - 25 -
Paul Dixon30 15 - 2105
Mark Durnan24 203536
Stewart Murdoch26 131131
William Edjenguélé29 182182
Seán Dillon33 14 - 3397
Willo Flood31 2221747
Blair Spittal21 22 - 909
Scott Fraser21 244616
Nick van der Velden35 233233
Simon Murray24 2695116
Coll Donaldson (sub)21 18 - 40 -
Cammy Smith (sub)21 225225
Tope Obadeyi (sub)27 222222

League Table (as at December 31st, 2016)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Hibernian 19 11 6 2 +21 39
2. DUNDEE UTD 19 11 5 3 +13 38
3. Morton 18 7 7 4 +6 28
4. Falkirk 19 7 6 6 +3 27
5. Raith Rovers 17 6 7 4 +4 25
6. QOS 19 5 6 8 -7 21
7. Dumbarton 19 5 6 8 -7 21
8. Ayr Utd 19 4 7 8 -10 19
9. Dunfermline 18 4 6 8 -7 18
10. St Mirren 19 2 6 11 -16 12

League results since United's last match
26th December 2016
31st December 2016
Dumbarton1-0Dundee Utd
QOS0-0Ayr Utd
St Mirren1-1Morton